Primeau or montambault?

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
From a team building perspective we should want to emulate Boston's platoon system where the goalies are within a few games of each other. Monty has shown that he can play 40ish games and look good, it's still too early to tell about Primeau, next season should be more telling.
Cheevers-Eddie Johnston scenario, works for me!

Reactions: Hansman

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I'll bite : I'll go with Primeau.

Monty has better trade value but IMO they are closer than we think and with Dobes and Fowler in the pipeline I think we could gamble

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
I like the potential of all these young fellas in net! Perhaps we could go back to days of yore when we possessed all the good young goalies! Myre, TonyO, Dryden, Vachon, Thomas, Bunny! Not to mention Maniago and Wakely before them!

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
If you HAD to pick one NOW to be the goalie of the future (which means trade the other one), who do you choose and why?

EDIT: this was supposed to be a fun quesion, I didn't expect people not to play along and just reject it outright. Maybe I should have. Some people just love to argue online. Take it easy. I'm not advocating getting rid of either of them right now. Maybe I should have said: who will end up having the better career? Is that better?
Depends on your objectives and who else we have on the team now. For example, if nothing changes from now, then we would have to move Primeau because he isn’t a starter yet. But of this scenario included us having another starter equal or better than Montambeault, then we might consider moving him.

I think you are actually asking who we think will have the best career. Primeau has looked very solid as of late, which is a very good sign. But, he has taken such a slow path and has been so protected this year, that it is impossible to know what he would look like if he had a 30 game load, and how he would respond to a few bad outings. So, I am still in the wait and see attitude with Cayden.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I really don't want to be rude. I'm naturally rude as it is. But why ask this question? The answer is that neither are long-term solutions. Both are playing well, both are Habs - but both are stop-gaps until Fowler or Dobes takes it from them.

Montembault, right now, is the number one but he's 28. Primeau is 24. By the time this team is ready to compete, the two young kids I mentioned will be kicking down the doors and we will be forced to make these hard decisions then... and if we are lucky and both guys keep growing as players, we should get something nice back for them both in trades and that will be the sort of thing that keeps us from having to rebuild again.

So. Answer is both. I know that isn't what the question was... I also don't care. Bah humbug! ...with like, respect and stuff.

Reactions: FloJack

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The goaltending position is volatile across the league. How many guys have the Leafs gone through the last few years? Ullmark wins the Vezina and is on the trade block a year later. A number of teams have had multiple injured goaltenders back to Vegas last season.

I like the 1a/1b situation with a good option in the AHL when needed. Guys that are overplayed often take a step back or aren't as good come playoff time.

The way rosters turn over, wouldn't spend much time on this. For whatever reason, the Habs almost always find decent to very good goaltenders. The guys they have already drafted show promise and with all the draft picks they have will probably add a few more.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Is it too soon to be a believer? both of the goalies are performing admirably.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I really don't want to be rude. I'm naturally rude as it is. But why ask this question? The answer is that neither are long-term solutions. Both are playing well, both are Habs - but both are stop-gaps until Fowler or Dobes takes it from them.

Montembault, right now, is the number one but he's 28. Primeau is 24. By the time this team is ready to compete, the two young kids I mentioned will be kicking down the doors and we will be forced to make these hard decisions then... and if we are lucky and both guys keep growing as players, we should get something nice back for them both in trades and that will be the sort of thing that keeps us from having to rebuild again.

So. Answer is both. I know that isn't what the question was... I also don't care. Bah humbug! ...with like, respect and stuff.

Primeau at 24 is just at the age where most goalies start to get into the starter's groove. Guys like Saros, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Demko started getting the bulk of start around that age. Hellebuyck started at 23.

A guy like Tarasov in Columbus is just starting to look like he could become their starter - at age 25.

Not saying Primeau will be any of hese guys (ok maybe a Tarasov?), but if he can learn to be a bit more consistent and play more games, I can't see why he couldn't be a 60/40 starter. 0.913 SV% in 18 games this season. That's good enough SV% for goalies on the best teams in the league, the biggest difference is that he doesn't have "one of the best teams" in front of him.

Notably, he has a better SV% and GSAA/60 (source moneypuck) than the number 1 goalies on Colorado, Florida, Tampa, Carolina, New York, Toronto, Nashville, Dallas

TLDR: Primeau looks good enough to be more than a stop gap, imo.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
While that might be true, there can be no denying that all hypothetical scenarios are not created equally as some are based more on facts and gain information that is more translatable to the real world. Hypothetical scenarios that require more of an analytical approach based on actual data and/or are derived from a scenario that is not overly immersed in the abstract is more likely to produce a more meaningful insight into a person's psyche and/or reveal a bias on a particular topic.

I think this particular question is uninteresting as it is not actually revealing an answer to the question that is being sought due to a lack of relevant data. The only insight that is likely to be gleaned is to perhaps uncover those who are more prone to recency bias and those who are more cynical towards it.
Don't totally knock recency bias.

Without it, Suzuki would be an overpaid 2C, and Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever.

Reactions: MarioLeMoose

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Its easily Montebello but Primeau looks good , we should rejoice

No, no, no. You need to choose one as your guy, and shit on anybody else who supports the other goalie. Question their intelligence, manhood, voting record, etc.

It's been so long, you guys forgot how goalie battle threads on hfhabs are supposed to work.

giphy.gif

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Outside of back to backs, I'd just ride the hot hand.

Monty you get game 1, if you lose, Primeau gets the net, ad infinite.
With caveats for the guys who thrive on more games, and those who need rest.

Goaltending is sufficiently unpredictable that you can't just decide to go with a guy. Some goalies work it out and are great until 40, some just have a few good years. Montambault and Primeau probably won't have to compete with Dobes next year, but they will the year after. Fowler is probably another year or two after that. You don't want to dump the incumbents because some of the younger guys may not be able to make the jump, and the habs for now are in a good position to be able to pick from these guys, or to go out and acquire another goalie if they think they need to. It'll only become a priority once they have a few more forwards and a bit less dead wood.

The current pair is doing well, though, and that is considering that while the D is improving they still give up pretty frequent high danger chances. Montambault seems to thrive on the challenge and workload, with luck we'll see how he copes with fewer shots in a year or two.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Better question is which goalie is better suited to take on a long term backup role based on age, expected salary, etc.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
No idea if it will last, but over the past 1.5 years Monty has been providing legit, #1 goaltending, I watch every game and he has been very good most nights, incredibly consistent, and is providing top 15 goaltending. And getting better. With a better team in front of him, I wouldn't be surprised to see his SV% challenging 920.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Primeau for this upcoming tilt and Sam the man can against the scum,right? lol

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
No idea if it will last, but over the past 1.5 years Monty has been providing legit, #1 goaltending, I watch every game and he has been very good most nights, incredibly consistent, and is providing top 15 goaltending. And getting better. With a better team in front of him, I wouldn't be surprised to see his SV% challenging 920.
Depends on whether he thrives on shots. You get guys like Dryden who can relax all game and make saves when it matters, and you get the guys who will stop 45 of 46 but let in 3 of 12.

Goalies will play differently depending on how the team plays in front of them. We never found out what Price would do with a good team.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
No, no, no. You need to choose one as your guy, and shit on anybody else who supports the other goalie. Question their intelligence, manhood, voting record, etc.

It's been so long, you guys forgot how goalie battle threads on hfhabs are supposed to work.

giphy.gif

Remembering the Price vs Halak threads...

1712263679002.gif

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Monty. At the beginning of the season, I didn’t even believe Primeau was an nhl goalie. He’s been proving me wrong though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad