Primeau or montambault?

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Monty. At the beginning of the season, I didn’t even believe Primeau was an nhl goalie. He’s been proving me wrong though
Maybe. But I have a feeling Primeau gets exposed tonight against a strong opponent. These aren’t the Blue Jackets.

I hope I’m wrong.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Montembeault is probably among the top three canadian goalies right now. Hard to believe, but true. Gun to my head, I'd pick Sam. He's solid and consistent enough to back a competitive team. Neither of them can carry a team.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Montembeault is probably among the top three canadian goalies right now. Hard to believe, but true. Gun to my head, I'd pick Sam. He's solid and consistent enough to back a competitive team. Neither of them can carry a team.
That's sad. Remember the 90s?

Agreed with the rest.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
If you HAD to pick one NOW to be the goalie of the future (which means trade the other one), who do you choose and why?

EDIT: this was supposed to be a fun quesion, I didn't expect people not to play along and just reject it outright. Maybe I should have. Some people just love to argue online. Take it easy. I'm not advocating getting rid of either of them right now. Maybe I should have said: who will end up having the better career? Is that better?
I think they're both placeholders until two of Fowler , Volokhin , Miller , and Dobes are ready to take over . As for who has the better career my money is on Montembeault because I think Primeau has confidence issues making him too fragile for the NHL , good goalie who is his own worst enemy .

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Depends on whether he thrives on shots. You get guys like Dryden who can relax all game and make saves when it matters, and you get the guys who will stop 45 of 46 but let in 3 of 12.

Goalies will play differently depending on how the team plays in front of them. We never found out what Price would do with a good team.
I can't think of a goalie that was great on a bad team and declined significantly on a good team, at least one in his prime. So I'm not sure that's a thing - Dryden would have been an all time great on a good or bad team, and Price would have been the same clutch goalie on a much better team.

Monty has just been flat out consistent, no reason to think when the team gets better he will get worse.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The more Primeau plays, the more comfortable he looks.

The defense in front of both of them is horrible and they constantly face high danger chances. But Primeau has put up better numbers.

Next season will be interesting. Montembeault probably goes into next season with the slight edge to get a chance to be the guy, but might be an open battle.

I know Sam got the extension, but that was before Allen got traded and Primeau got to play more games.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
Montembeault is a good back up but nothing more. Primeau maybe has more potential, but we really only started giving him a chance at a starting position this year.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Primeau will never be as good as Monty. I hope he reads this for motivation lol

Montembeault is a good back up but nothing more. Primeau maybe has more potential, but we really only started giving him a chance at a starting position this year.
He’s second in the leagues with 9 stolen games behind Sheshturken or however you spell his f***ing name. He’s no backup. Imagine if he had an average or even a little less below average D

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Neither.

Primeau as backup later to whatever goaltender we decide to go for on the market as a starter, only because he'll be cheaper.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Can i pick neither? Find a better goalie?
Not that easy. There are probably 15 teams that don't have a goalie as good as those 2. Colorado, Toronto, Ottawa, NJ and the list goes on of teams with no NHL calibre goaltenders

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not that easy. There are probably 15 teams that don't have a goalie as good as those 2. Colorado, Toronto, Ottawa, NJ and the list goes on of teams with no NHL calibre goaltenders

Toronto's actually gotten pretty good goaltending from Jones and Woll this season and Colorado has gotten good goaltending from Annunen and Georgiev.

But Montreal's goaltending is about hte only area they're above league average, especially from Montembeault and recently Primeau. The biggest issue is that their goaltending isn't fully covering up for the bad defence, especially on the PK.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Toronto's actually gotten pretty good goaltending from Jones and Woll this season and Colorado has gotten good goaltending from Annunen and Georgiev.Georgiev nd

But Montreal's goaltending is about hte only area they're above league average, especially from Montembeault and recently Primeau. The biggest issue is that their goaltending isn't fully covering up for the bad defence, especially on the PK.
Georgiev and Annunen have been very bad in the 2nd half. Colorado's defensive play has been weak but they don't make many big saves. Colorado won't win anything with them in net. Neither will Toronto with Samsonov/Woll.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Georgiev and Annunen have been very bad in the 2nd half. Colorado's defensive play has been weak but they don't make many big saves. Colorado won't win anything with them in net. Neither will Toronto with Samsonov/Woll.

Annuen has the 2nd best save percentage in the NHL since the All Star Break among guys who have played more than a couple of games. Colorado has a top-10 save percentage in that timeframe.

And the point is that there aren't many teams that have won with an elite goaltender in the NHL. Its basically just Tampa (maybe St. Louis depending on your opinion of Binnington) since 2011.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Annuen has the 2nd best save percentage in the NHL since the All Star Break among guys who have played more than a couple of games. Colorado has a top-10 save percentage in that timeframe.

And the point is that there aren't many teams that have won with an elite goaltender in the NHL. Its basically just Tampa (maybe St. Louis depending on your opinion of Binnington) since 2011.
I still think Colorado needs at least the same level of goaltending that Darcy Keumper provided when they won the cup and the current tandem they have hasn't done that.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That's sad. Remember the 90s?

Agreed with the rest.

Or any era, really. Canada can stll ice a really crazy forward lineup, but I don't think their defense stacks up to years past, and certainly not in goal.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
A lot of goalies would look terrible behind our defense and PK, which was awful for most the year up until the last couple of months however both Monty/Primeau have done a very good job considering the circumstances. Allen was struggling before getting traded with a .892 save % and has been solid playing with a better team in NJ having a .913 save %.

I would say given he has a larger sample size, Montembeault is the better goalie right now given he is generally more consistent. However when Monty was Primeau's age he was a mediocre AHL goalie and would get lit up in the NHL, so Primeau is at an age where we could see some big improvements in the next couple years.

With Primeau's how much he's improved this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take over as starter as early as next year.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Our goalies are absolutely not the problem, we have one of the better pair in the league, and cheap too. Getting a better one would be cost-prohibitive compared to the potential beneifts.

As for who's playing next season, starts with 60-40 favoring Monty and see how it goes. I'm comfortable with any of them.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Georgiev has the pressure to be a number 1. Before this season he was as good as Primeau and Monteambeault. If you put Primeau and Monteambeault number 1 of a team aiming for a cup they might crumble under the pressure. I would not pencil them as better than Georgiev and certainly not Woll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad