Prime documentary on Daigle

jg729

Oct 25, 2011
Toronto
Very interesting, candid interviews with Daigle, Sexton and others.

93 Draft - Pronger #2, Kariya #4, Arnott #7. We could have easily traded #1 pick to Quebec for package including Forsberg.

With the other pieces like Yashin and later Alfie/Redden, we could have had a dynasty in the late 90s early 2000s.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I enjoyed the show. A couple of observations: he seems to be socially awkward, and he probably could have been a better player had he had better sheltering and mentoring and not rushed. Way too much pressure was placed on him when he was drafted.

He mentioned his passion for the game waned when he exceeded his personal goals as a 15-year old.

Reactions: jg729

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Was hard to watch him talk about Lindros’ passion and wishing he hadn’t lost that spark.

Seems like a ton of factors played into him falling off, not the least of which was lack of good veteran insulation.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Was hard to watch him talk about Lindros’ passion and wishing he hadn’t lost that spark.

Seems like a ton of factors played into him falling off, not the least of which was lack of good veteran insulation.

You'd think he would have gotten that in Philly.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Daigle had a passion for being famous - hence this documentary. He’s not someone who ever loved hockey IMO - he was just using his athletic talent to become a name. He didnt lose the passion for hockey, he never had it, the fuel came from the want to be recognized and not be an elite hockey player.

And 25 years later we are still talking about him so in a big way he got what he wanted

Reactions: jg729

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Daigle had a passion for being famous - hence this documentary. He’s not someone who ever loved hockey IMO - he was just using his athletic talent to become a name. He didnt lose the passion for hockey, he never had it, the fuel came from the want to be recognized and not be an elite hockey player.

And 25 years later we are still talking about him so in a big way he got what he wanted

There are obviously levels to passion and dedication to sport, and not everyone is the same, but I don’t believe you can get to the levels Daigle reached without passion at some point.

Natural affinity for athletics can only take you so far without work. Obviously at some point in his life he put in a ton of work and that’s hard to do without passion.

I have difficulty believing 15 year old Daigle who apparently played half a season with a broken wrist didn’t have passion for hockey. He wanted to be the best.

Reactions: OD99 and ColinM

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
There are obviously levels to passion and dedication to sport, and not everyone is the same, but I don’t believe you can get to the levels Daigle reached without passion at some point.

Natural affinity for athletics can only take you so far without work. Obviously at some point in his life he put in a ton of work and that’s hard to do without passion.

I have difficulty believing 15 year old Daigle who apparently played half a season with a broken wrist didn’t have passion for hockey. He wanted to be the best.

I agree - I’m talking Cam Newton dropping on a fumbled football in the last drive of the Super Bowl levels of passion. For Daigle I think naturally at 15-17 there was a separation of speed and talent and he was just getting by on flash - when he got to the NHL and the level of talent between the 1st PP and the 4th liner was so thin and things were hard to earn and only getting harder with more minute he realized He didn’t have the passion these other rinks rats had for the clutch and grab game and that’s what bummed him out because he knew he didn’t have the work ethic in him.

Reactions: Bileur

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You don't come back and play close to 10 years in Switzerland and the AHL, after leaving the sport, if you don't have some passion for the game. Money absolutely played a part.

Bill Masterton nominee and all, for his dedication to the sport in 2004
Was a solid player in Minnesota for a couple seasons pretty long in to his career too, well after he'd been written off.

Reactions: jg729 and SanderSen

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Watching old footage of him on youtube from his first two seasons with Ottawa, I found myself thinking he looked so much like our own Tim Stutzle. He was fast and nimble; dancing around in the offensive zone, stopping, starting, shifting left and right, trying desperately to make something happen. Like Stutzle he also got knocked on his ass from time to time.

I am not saying Daigle was as good as Stutzle, but he didn't have much help in those early Ottawa days. If he had entered the NHL on a good team, his story might be very different.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Watching old footage of him on youtube from his first two seasons with Ottawa, I found myself thinking he looked so much like our own Tim Stutzle. He was fast and nimble; dancing around in the offensive zone, stopping, starting, shifting left and right, trying desperately to make something happen. Like Stutzle he also got knocked on his ass from time to time.

I am not saying Daigle was as good as Stutzle, but he didn't have much help in those early Ottawa days. If he had entered the NHL on a good team, his story might be very different.
I think you just gave me nightmares

Timmy seems to have the passion and drive, very little chance he's the next Daigle, right?? From the 3OA slot, but still...

jg729

Oct 25, 2011
Toronto
I do appreciate the Daigles candidness in the interview.

Ryan Leaf did something similar recently and it’s nice to see both have matured as they age, and we remember them as good humans instead of top pick busts.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Ouch those locker room comments he made in response to the coach. Was it NY? I think Muckler.
I get he was uncomfortable and maybe said those things due to nerves but you can’t say things like that. Unsurprisingly he was gone from the rangers after that.

Reactions: Bileur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad