Helene St. James Prices likely too high; Wings may well decide to go with what they've got

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You seriously have to wonder if Illitch is going all in on the Tigers and is telling Holland to keep the wings payroll as low as possible (but still good enough to make the playoffs to generate them big dollars)

I've been suspecting that for awhile (considering how much Ilitch is going to have to spend on Cabrera and possibly Scherzer to keep them).

I don't understand a scenario where Ken Holland does nothing for years and repeats the same stuff over and over without something else influencing his decisions. I don't remember him being anything like this before 2009.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
The money is fine, the term is terrible. He's 33 and he got 5 years and a Full NMC.

I woulda went 5m per for 3 years tops.

For 4.5 mil with the cap going up every year? That is a decent contract. A lot better than most you'll see in a week from now for arguably the best UFA available this summer. I'm so peeved.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Here we go again, I can hear the alarm go off.. "Then put your little hand in mine, there ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb...I got you babe..."

RedWingsNow*

Clarkson wants, 7 years 6.0 million per
Horton wants, 5 years, 6.0 million per (wants to be at warm south)
Filppula wants, 8 years, 5.5 million per
Bozak wants, 7 years, 5.0 million per

This freaking market is going to be insane. Players revenge from the lockout?

Vinny LC just came in cheaper than most expected

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
This is pure speculation, it mentions nothing about tier 2 FA's, which the Red Wings were more likely to sign than high profile ones (Lecavalier, Clarkson, Horton, etc.)

I will say that this is the realistic list of people we could sign from FA:

Ryder (only if Brunner gone)
Clowe
Weiss (I'm considering this highly likely)
Ference

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I've been suspecting that for awhile (considering how much Ilitch is going to have to spend on Cabrera and possibly Scherzer to keep them).

I don't understand a scenario where Ken Holland does nothing for years and repeats the same stuff over and over without something else influencing his decisions. I don't remember him being anything like this before 2009.

Honestly I think they will make a splash when they are moving into the new building. At that point the prospects will be clear and they will want to make the big moves again. I am not sure how much the Tigers play into this, the Wings can operate on their own budget right at the cap and turn a profit. Ilitch's desires for a World Series, seem to be out of pocket because of how important that is to him and are unlikely to be a huge problem in terms of the Wings.

RedWingsNow*

Honestly, at $4.5M, I don't think this is that bad. By year 3 or 4, he bounces over to the Wing..
Cap should be at $75M by then

RedWingsNow*

I don't understand why you meet with a UFA and then feed it to the press you're concerned about his "pace"

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Honestly, at $4.5M, I don't think this is that bad. By year 3 or 4, he bounces over to the Wing..
Cap should be at $75M by then

I believe Lecavalier explicitly stated he was not interested in playing wing.

That may change over the next couple years, but that can be a risk if he doesn't change his mind.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
The deal was 4 years not 5.

4 years is still to long for us imo. We already have an older top 6 we don't need another 35+ year old with a 5M+ cap hit. If Datsuyk/Zetterberg were 28 or 29, or if one of them was that age, I wouldn't mind it but to have 3 of them tying up around 18.8M in capspace when they will be declining is not a smart move.

I think the 2 year deal shows how they feel about Jarnkrok. This year in the AHL, next year as the 3C/2C. I guess we can look at as it's a good thing they value him that highly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad