President's Cup Favourite

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Now that the dust has settled after the trade deadline, which one of these contenders do you see as the President's Cup favourite? Keep in mind these are not line combos. I believe the Sea Dogs are also in the mix.

Rouyn

Meier Nantel Perron
Beaudin Dzierkals Greer
Fortin Fontaine Waked
Boucher Abbandonato Wojick

Lauzon Brouillard
Myers Caron
Neveu Denis
Z Lauzon

Marchard/Harvey

Shawingan

Yan Beauvillier Timashov
Gagne Moynihan D'Aoust
Pawelczyk Gignac Olivier
Taillon Asselin Blier
Bernier

Girard Fitzgerald
Welsh Deschamps
Sylvestre Fortin
Klebanskyj

Cadorette/Denisov

Val' dor

Aube-Kubel Richard Gauthier
Beauregard Mandat St. Amant
Pepin Nadeau Beauchemin
Delise-Houde Tremblay Dion

Henley Galipeau
Pyrochta Hould
Tremblay Desjardins
Van Boekel

Montpetit/MacCallum

Gatineau

Laplante Dostie Abramov
Paquin-Boudreau Alain Trenin
Elie Tremblay Milot-Ouellet
Eastman Callaghan Landreville
Blacksmith Durocher

Meloche Carrier
Breton McSween
Bilodeau Crevier-Morin
Masters

Bellemare/Grametbauer

Moncton

Garland Askew Weiderer
Klima Klima Karabacek
Smith Bower Johnson
Murphy MacEwen Richard
Cormier Corson Pickard

Donaghey Holwell
Kosack Sweeney
Malatesta Mooney
Tesink

Bouchard/Mann-Dixon

Cape Breton

Svechnikov Dubois Lazarev
Joly Bishop Carozza
Fiore Martineau Fournier
Boucher Smith Macsween
Sorrentino/Hoyt

Gosselin Leblanc
Leveille Macintyre
Baillargeon Bisson
Greene

Belanger/Jessiman

Last edited:

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013
I think that Rouyn and Shawinigan are power houses and have them as 1A and 1B, with Val D'or at 3, Gatineau at 4 and Moncton at 5. I know that the rankings will be different as division leaders are seeded top 3 but these are my top 5 teams.

Brandel*

Top 3 teams you have listed are best 3 in Q by a decent margin IMO

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Charlottetown with Sprong and McDonald will be dangerous. My rankings;

1 Shawinigan
2 Rouyn
3 Val d'Or
4 Moncton
5 Gatineau
6 Charlottetown
7 Cape Breton
8 Saint John
9 Sherbrooke

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
Charlottetown with Sprong and McDonald will be dangerous. My rankings;

1 Shawinigan
2 Rouyn
3 Val d'Or
4 Moncton
5 Gatineau
6 Charlottetown
7 Cape Breton
8 Saint John
9 Sherbrooke

Charlottetown has a lot of catching up to do. They are only 13th overall and are still under 500. Cape Breton is also barely over 500. Saint John is better than both, IMO.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Charlottetown has a lot of catching up to do. They are only 13th overall and are still under 500. Cape Breton is also barely over 500. Saint John is better than both, IMO.

Sprong changes everything. He is the best forward in the league, aside from Garland. Moncton isn't all that impressive if you take out Garland. Same for Charlottetown. Sprong just came back. Give em some time, they'll climb up the standings. They'll be a dangerous team to face in the playoffs.

Not only do they have a top-2 forward in the league, but their offensive depth is great with Chlapik, Blais, Kielly, Balmas, Cooper, etc and they have a top-5 CHL goaltender in Mason McDonald, too. This is the making of a championship team to me. Sure, the D is average, because they lack a true #1, but they still have 3 solid pairings that can play well.

I guess we'll see !

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
I don't see Sprong single-handedly dragging Charlottetown to the promised land. The Potatoes aren't a bad team, but I don't see the rest of the team being strong enough to survive a series against Hull, Shawinigan, or the Abitibien teams, who should be able to neutralise a single player.

To give some fantastically deep insight, I think that a lot of this is going to come down to who plays whom in the playoffs. Barring an earlier matchup, I suspect that the final four will be Hull, Shawinigan, Val-d'Or, and Rouyn-Noranda. Maybe Moncton will take one of them out... For once, I don't know that I see a bunch of upsets happening. Maybe I'll feel differently when I see the real pairings.

Anyway, I think Val-d'Or is the only team that Hull wouldn't stand a chance against in a series. My hope is to see the Huskies or Cataractes take them out before we see them. At that, ideally the Foreurs will rough them up a bit in the process though...

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
To be honest I was not wowed by Hull Friday night when they were
In town. They're strong but nothing crazy.

That's what they do against lower in the standings teams. They go out dominate the Huskies one night, and then drop an egg in Sherbrooke two days later, and look baaaad doing it. Mix in a long trip, and, well...

The skill is there, and Groulx will get them keyed up for the playoffs.

sjseadogsfan

Jan 11, 2016
I don't see Sprong single-handedly dragging Charlottetown to the promised land. The Potatoes aren't a bad team, but I don't see the rest of the team being strong enough to survive a series against Hull, Shawinigan, or the Abitibien teams, who should be able to neutralise a single player.

To give some fantastically deep insight, I think that a lot of this is going to come down to who plays whom in the playoffs. Barring an earlier matchup, I suspect that the final four will be Hull, Shawinigan, Val-d'Or, and Rouyn-Noranda. Maybe Moncton will take one of them out... For once, I don't know that I see a bunch of upsets happening. Maybe I'll feel differently when I see the real pairings.

Anyway, I think Val-d'Or is the only team that Hull wouldn't stand a chance against in a series. My hope is to see the Huskies or Cataractes take them out before we see them. At that, ideally the Foreurs will rough them up a bit in the process though...

Going to be almost impossible for the final four to be RN, VD, Shawi, Gatineau. If the playoffs were to start today, Barring any upset in the first round one of these 4 teams will not make it past the 2nd round. VD 4th would play Gatineau 5th in the 2nd round.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Going to be almost impossible for the final four to be RN, VD, Shawi, Gatineau. If the playoffs were to start today, Barring any upset in the first round one of these 4 teams will not make it past the 2nd round. VD 4th would play Gatineau 5th in the 2nd round.

14th place Spronglanders beat 3rd place Wildcats. Done. :sarcasm:

qmjhlisles

Apr 8, 2014
Montague, PEI Canada
The Islanders have not played one single game this season with their full roster last weekends games against Hull and Riki we were missing our #1 D and our 2 top Centermen. Once Weber Chlapik and Kielly are all in the lineup this team will look very different. Against the big 3 we would still get beat but I wouldn't be scared going against MOncton or Gatineau.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal

So a team that has a WJC goalie in McDonald and some very good junior-level players like Blais, Chlapik, Kennedy, Kielly, Deschenes, Weber are a one-player team? I don't think so. I you are severly underrating Sprong if you think he cannot lead that squad past Gatineau...

As much as I like Bellemare he will be buying dinner for Carrier and Meloche if the Olympics shut down Sprong in a playoff series...

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
I'm still unimpressed with the Foreurs defence/goaltending. The top two teams in the league are the Huskies and Cataractes. The Olympiques, Eagles and Garland could do damage in the playoffs.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Mann-Dixon has been half decent.

and with Garland putting up 3 points a game...
Tonight's game will be interesting. Eagles have a full lineup and Garland is 2 points away from 100.

Also, the Foreurs and Huskies play tonight. Winner claims 1st place in the QMJHL for the meantime.

Hockeyacumen

May 4, 2014
Tonight's game will be interesting. Eagles have a full lineup and Garland is 2 points away from 100.

Also, the Foreurs and Huskies play tonight. Winner claims 1st place in the QMJHL for the meantime.

I think RN or VD will win. Moncton and Shawinigan are strong but inconsistent and Moncton's defense is weaker than the other contenders. The other team I think could go far is Gatineau - very strong defense but maybe short of a scorer or two. A surprise team could be the Sea Dogs. They are playing way below their potential and if they get it together they could go far. Another BIG surprise could be Sherbrooke.... had a lot of injuries first half of season; got a new coach&GM and have added a few good players plus have Schweri to come back... could surprise someone first round.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Well, the Wildcats really got their ***** handed to them last night. Since the return of the Russians, the Eagles have scored 25 goals in three games.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
I guess four games mean a lot to you ...

Yes they do. All four of those games were against bottom half teams (Bathurst at 15th, Halifax at 17th, Drummondville at 13th, and Sherbrook at 14th). Not to mention the Sherbrook game was 7-1, and before these four games, Moncton also lost to Cape Breton 10-2.

They still have a chance to contend, but the more they lose, especially to teams like them, the more those chances run thin.

Their big test is tonight against Saint John. If they want to show that they still have a shot, they must win.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Yes they do. All four of those games were against bottom half teams (Bathurst at 15th, Halifax at 17th, Drummondville at 13th, and Sherbrook at 14th). Not to mention the Sherbrook game was 7-1, and before these four games, Moncton also lost to Cape Breton 10-2.

They still have a chance to contend, but the more they lose, especially to teams like them, the more those chances run thin.

Their big test is tonight against Saint John. If they want to show that they still have a shot, they must win.

You're logic is flawed. Moncton has beat up on Saint John , Charlottetown and Cape Breton all year long. They're bound to lose a couple of games against opponents they've faced half a dozen times per season.

Is Halifax going to be atop next week's list ? They beat Shawinigan (who , according to your logic) shouldn't be in the top ten anymore...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad