Preseason Top 30 for the 2017 NHL Draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/08/preseason-top-30-for-2017-nhl-draft.html

The OHL season is around the corner and that means it's time for the first draft ranking of the year. This list includes only those who played the majority of last year in the OHL, so imports already signed on (Like Ruzicka, Samorukov, Thilander, etc) aren't included. Ditto for players who played sparingly or not at all despite being OHL picks (like Meireles, Blacker, etc).

As always, check the link for the full scouting reports and HM's.

1. Gabriel Vilardi
2. Owen Tippett
3. Nic Hague
4. Matthew Strome
5. Michael Dipietro
6. Nick Suzuki
7. Vanya Lodnia
8. Jacob Paquette
9. Sasha Chmelevski
10. Markus Phillips
11. Jason Robertson
12. Jack Studnicka
13. Mackenzie Entwistle
14. Issac Ratcliffe
15. Austen Keating
16. Ben Jones
17. Jonah Gadjovich
18. Brady Gilmour
19. Hayden Davis
20. Daniil Vertiy
21. Liam Hawel
22. Morgan Forst
23. Elijah Roberts
24. Brady Lyle
25. Noel Hoefenmayer
26. Robbie Burt
27. Kiril Maksimov
28. Nick Deakin-Poot
29. Kyle Keyser
30. Ryan McGregor

Willing to answer any questions you may have.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Where do you have a guy like Reagan O'grady? Former Fronts 1st rounder was dealt to Sudbury a couple years ago....

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Lodnia is supposedly 6'1 now. If so he is no longer "undersized".. Maybe could afford to gain some weight as a result but this kid had an incredible rookie year putting up good numbers while playing with guys like Jake Marchment, Nick Betz, and Maksimovich.. Hardly lethal linemates. Now he will likely see ice with more talent and speed. He's underrated in my view and wouldn't be shocked to see him as a top 15 pick in next year's draft.

Great list as always

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Where do you have a guy like Reagan O'grady? Former Fronts 1st rounder was dealt to Sudbury a couple years ago....

At this point, he'd be in that group not listed as an HM, but who is still worth keeping an eye on.

Personally, I don't have a good grasp on the type of player O'Grady could develop into. He just doesn't have any particular stand out skills other than having good size. And as a late '98, I'd want to have seen a lot more from him this far in order to crack this list.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Lodnia is supposedly 6'1 now. If so he is no longer "undersized".. Maybe could afford to gain some weight as a result but this kid had an incredible rookie year putting up good numbers while playing with guys like Jake Marchment, Nick Betz, and Maksimovich.. Hardly lethal linemates. Now he will likely see ice with more talent and speed. He's underrated in my view and wouldn't be shocked to see him as a top 15 pick in next year's draft.

Great list as always

I can't see him being 6'1. The U.S. listed him at 5'10 for the Ivan Hlinka team official roster recently. Have to think those measurements were taken recently. And in watching the games, Lodnia looked smaller on the ice than Chmelevski, who's about 5'11.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
At this point, he'd be in that group not listed as an HM, but who is still worth keeping an eye on.

Personally, I don't have a good grasp on the type of player O'Grady could develop into. He just doesn't have any particular stand out skills other than having good size. And as a late '98, I'd want to have seen a lot more from him this far in order to crack this list.

The one thing that really stood out for me was that he took charge of his own game over the last month of the season. He was way more involved, he used his size as an advantage even though he was still a young 2nd year player, and showed off a surprisingly good shot.
I have no doubt that he continues to progress and be drafted next summer.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I can't see him being 6'1. The U.S. listed him at 5'10 for the Ivan Hlinka team official roster recently. Have to think those measurements were taken recently. And in watching the games, Lodnia looked smaller on the ice than Chmelevski, who's about 5'11.

I'm just going but what I heard from Erie guys that had access to that. Chemelevski could have grown too.. Either way I don't think being over 5'10 is really undersized in the hockey world today. Certainly not like it used to be

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Hope to see Nate Schnarr join this list soon enough. Think he has a lot of upside to him in what I saw of him in Jr B and limited OHL action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad