GDT: Preseason Game 4 vs Chicago

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
No, I am...maybe try to watch a little more of the actual games and a little less of the charts and graphs
I've watched every game Copp and Compher have played with the Wings. The charts come into play for Winterpeg and Avs games which I can't be arsed to watch.

Reactions: RedWingzz

CWilson

Jul 11, 2023
See this opinion makes zero sense. They have entire careers worth of data points. Overall production is even. Compher a hair more goals and Copp a hair more assists. Copp is slightly more physical and slightly better at faceoffs.

If they didn't both pace at 38 points per 82, I could see someone having that opinion, but statistically they are a wash.
I couldnt disagree more. I love Copper, but really liking what we have in Compher as well.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That’s just your opinion. As much as you know about hockey my man, you know there is sooooo much more about hockey than what you just said in this post. Compher is faster, anticipates so much better than Copper, and IMO the list goes on. Love your other posts though. Not knocking on you.
Then why hasn't he ever done anything with it that's above and beyond what Copp has accomplished?

CWilson

Jul 11, 2023
Then why hasn't he ever done anything with it that's above and beyond what Copp has accomplished?
I did edit my reply, due to didn’t want to get into a pissing match with ya lol.

But not sure why it hasn’t translated into a better career. I never said he is elite, just an observation in what I seen is all.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I did edit my reply, due to didn’t want to get into a pissing match with ya lol.

But not sure why it hasn’t translated into a better career. I never said he is elite, just an observation in what I seen is all.
It's not a pissing match. It's a discussion of players.

You'd be hard pressed to find two centers with more similar careers/on ice impacts over the last 6 years than Copp and Compher.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Theres no way Edvinsson shouldn't make this team. He got walked by Bedard once but outside of that he was really, really good. The fact that he dropped the gloves and tried to fight after that knee on Soderblom was just the cherry on top.
Yeah, that kinda play impresses me more than the chippy stuff that Kasper does. Ed wanted to go, you don't drop your gloves and grab someone's chinstrap unless you're willing.

Kasper looked a little shell shocked after taking a left from Mantha if you watch the video. Wonder if that had any impact on this game. If you watch the video, you'll figure out why Mantha was so pissed, I didn't realize Kasper had crosschecked him face first into the glass.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I feel like Kasper has been given very specific instructions on what to do and not to do and it isn't synching with how he normally plays. Because he's not playing like he normally plays between the whistles, but isn't really doing much else apart from randomly scrumming after whistles. From the first shift in the kids tourney he's just looked off. He's easing up on the forecheck and not lighting people up when he's had opportunities. Apart from the crosscheck to Mantha. It's weird. He's playing controlled and tentative and that's not what he's done the last couple years in Sweden. I'm confused and I think he is as well.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
For those having issues with ESPN+ I couldn't find the game either. I logged on to NordVPN and changed my VPN then re-opened ESPN+ and found the game. The game might have been unavailable in certain areas. VPN fixed the issue for me.

Also, can we stop saying Rasmussen was a bad pick @9th overall. The guy is proving to be a stud.

Oct 18, 2006
For those having issues with ESPN+ I couldn't find the game either. I logged on to NordVPN and changed my VPN then re-opened ESPN+ and found the game. The game might have been unavailable in certain areas. VPN fixed the issue for me.

Also, can we stop saying Rasmussen was a bad pick @9th overall. The guy is proving to be a stud.
Thanks mate, I needed to hear this. Reckon it was unavailable in my area. Didn‘t ever seem to be an issue last regular season so I’m okay with missing a PS game if it means all clear for the real stuff.

I feel like Kasper has been given very specific instructions on what to do and not to do and it isn't synching with how he normally plays. Because he's not playing like he normally plays between the whistles, but isn't really doing much else apart from randomly scrumming after whistles. From the first shift in the kids tourney he's just looked off. He's easing up on the forecheck and not lighting people up when he's had opportunities. Apart from the crosscheck to Mantha. It's weird. He's playing controlled and tentative and that's not what he's done the last couple years in Sweden. I'm confused and I think he is as well.
I honestly think he’s still a long way off full conditioning. That injury set him back and cost him a lot of the off-season.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
I agree with this, 💯

He just looks off from what he used to play like. Didnt he just come off a serious injury though? Maybe he is still just playing a bit hesitantly, idk…

Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
See this opinion makes zero sense. They have entire careers worth of data points. Overall production is even. Compher a hair more goals and Copp a hair more assists. Copp is slightly more physical and slightly better at faceoffs.

If they didn't both pace at 38 points per 82, I could see someone having that opinion, but statistically they are a wash. Always have been.

That's history. What happens at Detroit in near future could be totally different than their earlier carer.

Reactions: Hughes Hefner

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
MDc
The panties your mother laid out for you?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That Rasmussen - Compher - Perron looked phenomenally good line.

They just Dominated all the way.

If
- Fabbri IR
- Söderblom to AHL
- Kasper to AHL
- Danielson stays
- build two bulldozer lines

Bulldozer 1.
Rasmussen - Compher - Perron
Bulldozer 2.
Kostin - Copp - Fischer

Offensive 1.
DeBrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Offensive 4th
Berggren - Danielson/Veleno - Sprong

Think the chemistries are starting to match on that direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Preseason and coming back from injury are both likely making him more conservative. Add learning the smaller ice. Definitely hasn’t found his confidence yet. This type of thing is why it’s good we didn’t pencil him in at 2C from day one though. A couple of months in GR will do him good.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
Not worried about Kasper at all. He has time to mature. That place is GR.

This Danielson kid really will push you make hard decisions.
Came here to post this. Kasper's had a serious injury this summer. Give him time to get his strength back, AHL won't hurt his development.

This Danielsson guy seems to be NHL ready, no doubt about that. But he's still so young. Idk if I'd rush him into the NHL right away. A 9-game taste of the NHL somepoint of the season would be nice though.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Came here to post this. Kasper's had a serious injury this summer. Give him time to get his strength back, AHL won't hurt his development.

This Danielsson guy seems to be NHL ready, no doubt about that. But he's still so young. Idk if I'd rush him into the NHL right away. A 9-game taste of the NHL somepoint of the season would be nice though.

I think injuries play a much bigger role to players on ice performance than many realize.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That's history. What happens at Detroit in near future could be totally different than their earlier carer.
True, the preseason sample size is all we need to make these sorts of decisive findings. My bad...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
True, the preseason sample size is all we need to make these sorts of decisive findings. My bad...

It's the eye-test.

For this moment.

With this player group.

Compher looking very good. And slotting Copp to right place, more suitable for him. Pre-season is to test these guys with current combinations, and then use the best ones, when the real season will start.

Someone intelligent is building this team.

Reactions: DamonDRW

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
There can be some truth in both camps.

Compher can be off to a noticeably better start this summer than Copp. And maybe he ends up sticking higher in the lineup. But their career stats indicate that it's HIGHLY unlikely that either player ends up being either a first line or a fourth line guy.

So...maybe we just enjoy having two guys who can contribute in the middle of the lineup?

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
It's the eye-test.

For this moment.

With this player group.

Compher looking very good. And slotting Copp to right place, more suitable for him. Pre-season is to test these guys with current combinations, and then use the best ones, when the real season will start.

Someone intelligent is building this team.
Even though it is just the preseason, Compher does appear to add more offensive pop to both lines he has played on. Both with Ras and Perron, and with Fabs and Sprong

Reactions: Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad