GDT: Preseason Game 2: Coyotes @ Flames - 6PM

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Rocket man must have missed.
He'd probably call that a win anyway. Wouldn't have time to celebrate before he gets one on his own doorstep though.

Adin Hill in net for the third, Calgary scored on another PP because even strength hockey doesn't exist anymore.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Officials are going to have to seriously scale back the penalties come regular season if they want this to be remotely watchable. If I wanted constant stoppages, I'd watch the bloody NFL.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
My livetracker glitched out so hard at the end, had Demers playing goalie and 7 forwards up front, no Dmen :laugh:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Just given everything about him up to this point.

The only thing about him up to this point is that he isn't Marner.

Honestly, I have no idea what kind of player Strome will be. I only know his Junior seasons were stellar. He suffers on this board from unfair criticism and very low expectations. So many here are ready to scream "Bust" on a kid who hasn't had but a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I wish we drafted Marner instead of Strome.

I was quite concerned about Strome skating but I feared Marners game might not translate to the NHL...I wanted the team to trade down and draft one if the defensemen hanifin, Werenski or Provorov .

Super wrong about Marner. Still hopeful Strome proves all the naysayers wrong.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I wanted to trade down for a young NHL player and a top-12 pick to target Barzal, but I still had Strome at #3. I'm not too worried about him yet. He needs to adjust to the pace and he can only do that by playing. If we'd gone after Bonino or Hanzal, we'd be in great shape to stash him in the AHL. Right now, he probably makes the team anyway because we have no depth.

Strome probably would've played for Toronto/Carolina last year, and I'd bet money Marner would not have been a regular in the top six with PP time here last season. Then we'd all wonder why we passed on the big skilled center for yet another diminutive skilled winger.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
I wish we drafted Marner instead of Strome.
I know it was a throwaway comment (last year sucked when Tkachuk was going to be around our pick - how much fun would a Tkachuk / Dvo / Marner line have been to watch last year?) but as stated I think the reasoning behind the Strome pick remains intriguing. If he never becomes a first line centre, it is the kind of misstep that can sink a team. I remain hopeful though.

I think Marner & Toronto are interesting in that regard. Give them a similar bump in the 2016 draft out of the 'generational' top 2 picks & how do they look? Likely still really good, but not the same strong pick for future cup winners. What does their 2016 draft look like? Do they Arizona/Columbus it with Dubois at 3 (seems unlikely), take another highly rated winger in Puljujärvi, or trade down? How much pressure would there now be to find a 1C? It's interesting enough to see what they/other teams do to build the defence to contender level, especially if none of Karlsson/Doughty/OEL make it to free agency. The temptation to reach for potential 1D/1C in the draft will always be there.

I think it's interesting to consider Nylander's trajectory, too. He doesn't have the same draft context or pressure as Strome (8th vs. 3rd in that stacked first round), but he shows how difficult it is to start at centre in the NHL for those non-generational talents. After the growth spurt Nylander seemingly put in much more conditioning work than Strome in his draft +1, yet even with his insane post draft resume & the benefit of the early AHL option, he's still played few games at centre in the NHL. Matthews is the obvious reason for that, but it's interesting to think how Nylander would have looked at C full time last year compared with Strome this year. Does Strome need that AHL season / half season?

It may all end horribly, but for now I'm glad to at least have that potential at centre rather than saddling Dvo with all the pressure of having to be the guy, or Keller to have to play in the middle, or to worry about making a trade for a 1C, or for Stepan to be the best C on a future cup winning team. Following Strome or seeing Edmonton's turnaround reinforces how hard it is to develop elite talent without draft luck, & how important it is to keep hold of the elite talent you do have, like OEL. You cannot afford to miss on high picks, but I think the positional argument - the need to build a strong spine - is still there.

Erm, on topic, did they double shift Demers last night? He seemed to pop up on the left a few times.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You can see the different style of play, though. Aggressive forecheck and even in our own end, they're pressuring the puck carrier instead of just standing around waiting for something to happen. It's a good chance for the coaching staff to see who stands out in this cluster**** of a lineup. Kempe and Crouse definitely doing that.

We have the oddest, perhaps saddest, lineup possible. I'm not sure you can read too much into this game.

It's preseason guys.It's not if you win or lose, rather who can play at this level. It's the same every year for every team. The cream will rise to the top. The coaches know what they are doing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The only thing about him up to this point is that he isn't Marner.

Honestly, I have no idea what kind of player Strome will be. I only know his Junior seasons were stellar. He suffers on this board from unfair criticism and very low expectations. So many here are ready to scream "Bust" on a kid who hasn't had but a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Me too, man.

I still think Strome is going to be a very good player. Everyone is jumping to conclusions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad