Preseason Game #1. Vegas Knights Vs SJ Sharks @ 5:00pm

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Sharks overpassing a few times in the offensive zone. Not sure if it's because they're just in bad habits, or whether they know it's a weaker goalie so they don't want to score off bad shots.

Hopefully, it's the latter but I'd still prefer they rack up a score to get some confidence.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Positives:
- Thrun looked great for the most part. A couple of turnovers but nothing too horrendous
- Zadina was really putting in work defensively, really played two way hockey.
- Hertl, Barbie, Duclair all looked relatively solid and will be better for the skate.
- Guschin and Ozzy were noticeable and should be big contributors for the Cuda.
- Kahkonen looked comfortable for the most part.
- Rutta was solid, and I liked what I saw from Burroughs.

Negatives:
- Until he took the penalty, I forgot Smith was playing. If he's pushing for an NHL job, he should be making more impact.
- Okhotiuk looked ordinary. Might have just been the game, but looks a ways off from competing for an NHL job.
- First pre-season game, so have to take it with a grain of salt, but some chaos and sloppiness in their own zone at time.

Other observations:
- Mixed bag from Bords. Like some of the jump and active stick without the puck, but still made some poor decisions with the puck.
- Based on this game, I think Laroque would benefit more from AHL than being sent back to junior.
- Centre ice looks great.

Last edited:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Positives:
- Thrun looked great for the most part. A couple of turnovers but nothing too horrendous
- Zadina was really putting in work defensively, really played two way hockey.
- Hertl, Barbie, Duclair all looked relatively solid and will be better for the skate.
- Guschin and Ozzy were noticeable and should be big contributors for the Cuda.
- Kahkonen looked comfortable for the most part.
- Rutta was solid, and I liked what I saw from Burroughs.

Negatives:
- Until he took the penalty, I forgot Smith was playing. If he's pushing for an NHL job, he should be making more impact.
- Okhotiuk looked ordinary. Might have just been the game, but looks a ways off from competing for an NHL job.
- First pre-season game, so have to take it with a grain of salt, but some chaos and sloppiness in their own zone at time.

Other observations:
- Mixed bag from Bords. Like some of the jump and active stick without the puck, but still made some poor decisions with the puck.
- Based on this game, I think Laroque would benefit more from AHL than being sent back to the Cuda.
- Centre ice looks great.
Our AHL team IS the Barracuda.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
This Vegas Goaltender is not great. Nice to see Thrun make a good first impression.
AHL nominal starter. With prospect backup.
I just sat down with dinner after getting in late.

Just in time to be reminded of how much I hate that the Vegas broadcast refers to their team as "the vee-gee-kay" I'd really love to meet the weirdos who thought that was a cool thing to say.

Listening to this Vegas intermission you'd swear that their team is winning. They're playing great, the goalie's been good, the score doesn't matter, we were always at war with Eastasia. Everything's fine!
I don't like the VGK broadcasters. I have a major dislike for Lawless (submitted preseason question as to whether VGK and HSK would share jersey #s, but lazy dude did not ask someone who would know but went off of his WPG/MAN experience which was wrong in how VGK did it). D'uva (radio pxp) is OK. Sheriff (Hnidy) and Goucher are mediocre imho. Major homers.
Congratulations Dan Rusanowsky on the Hall of Fame. It’s awesome to have a sharks representative receive that honor and now I might record the ceremony and watch the speech.
Foster Hewitt recipients do not give televised speech.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
How great was it to have this game streamed on SJSharks.com with Dan and Drew on the broadcast? Also, pro-tip for everyone else for the coming home games, I had to pause the game for a while to catch up on Only Murders in the Building because my wife made a wonderful roasted chicken, but it allowed me to press play after like an hour and watch from where I'd left off (you can rewind and fast-forward, too), so if you're in a similar boat it's a great option for preseason games.

And honestly, the preseason games this year where we get to scope out more of our prospects might be more exciting to me than regular season games! Had to crack open a second beer because this one was so fun.

Speaking of fun, how about Henry Thrun? Sort of a similar vibe to his NHL debut game with him bringing the offense. Him and Rutta look like a pretty strong pairing already. It's going to take some work/risks but it's hard to see how Thrun doesn't make the opening night lineup. Godspeed, Griersy.

The thing about Thrun, and why I think he basically needs to do the rest of his developing at this level, is that his physical tools are good enough, but his brain is his best attribute. Reminds me of Braun in that regard. So to me, this is a player who will have great longevity and probably won't ever blow people away but will be a really solid 2nd-pairing d-man for a number of years.

As usual, I agree many of @Anomie2029 's points. The Zadina one is a good one, and it tracks with reports I saw on him from last year with Detroit. I think we're reaching a point where it's a fair question how much his offense will ever develop, so I see a likely long-term 3rd liner, but maybe at his peak one who could be part of a genuinely good 3rd line and penalty killing unit.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
How great was it to have this game streamed on SJSharks.com with Dan and Drew on the broadcast? Also, pro-tip for everyone else for the coming home games, I had to pause the game for a while to catch up on Only Murders in the Building because my wife made a wonderful roasted chicken, but it allowed me to press play after like an hour and watch from where I'd left off (you can rewind and fast-forward, too), so if you're in a similar boat it's a great option for preseason games.

And honestly, the preseason games this year where we get to scope out more of our prospects might be more exciting to me than regular season games! Had to crack open a second beer because this one was so fun.

Speaking of fun, how about Henry Thrun? Sort of a similar vibe to his NHL debut game with him bringing the offense. Him and Rutta look like a pretty strong pairing already. It's going to take some work/risks but it's hard to see how Thrun doesn't make the opening night lineup. Godspeed, Griersy.

The thing about Thrun, and why I think he basically needs to do the rest of his developing at this level, is that his physical tools are good enough, but his brain is his best attribute. Reminds me of Braun in that regard. So to me, this is a player who will have great longevity and probably won't ever blow people away but will be a really solid 2nd-pairing d-man for a number of years.

As usual, I agree many of @Anomie2029 's points. The Zadina one is a good one, and it tracks with reports I saw on him from last year with Detroit. I think we're reaching a point where it's a fair question how much his offense will ever develop, so I see a likely long-term 3rd liner, but maybe at his peak one who could be part of a genuinely good 3rd line and penalty killing unit.
Rutta / Thrun is a great pairing as well. Hope they stick to it. You have a vet that's seen it all, that played with some great Ds to help anchor an emerging, young D.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
It still makes me sad that Thrun lost to Beefsteak in the annual HFSharks prospect polls (yes, those mean alot to me haha) but I'm really happy he's getting PP time (that's what I asked for).

It also makes me sad that Jux is sad that Laroque sucked this game. But maybe taking it real slow with Laroque is best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad