Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I'm not saying just let people die. But to just ignore the economy is just as dangerous as ignoring the virus. It's all about getting the vaccinations/cures out as fast as possible when safe to do so, whilst not letting the worlds economy just bottom out.

The economy goes up and down. In fact the economy was most likely going to go down anyways unless you think debt doesn't matter and constant money printing can go on forever.

The coronavirus accelerated the drop.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The economy goes up and down. In fact the economy was most likely going to go down anyways unless you think debt doesn't matter and constant money printing can go on forever.

And if you quarantine everyone for 5 months millions possibly billions of people will lose their jobs and businesses. Sure there was bound to be a dip in the economy, but just completely ignoring it will have a huge impact in peoples lives, some that could be irreversible. Just like the virus I know, but like I said it's about finding a balance.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
And if you quarantine everyone for 5 months millions possibly billions of people will lose their jobs and businesses. Sure there was bound to be a dip in the economy, but just completely ignoring it will have a huge impact in peoples lives, some that could be irreversible. Just like the virus I know, but like I said it's about finding a balance.

Governments can use fiscal and monetary policy to try and lessen the economic loss that is affecting people.

Governments can't bring people back from the dead.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

It's either that or send people to work knowing that they're killing each other.

Reactions: Jussi

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They’re not going to see it that way when looking at the mortality rate and demographics (and it’s not reality).

Older people and people with health conditions don't work? That's news to me. This is after all a country where people retire and immediately take another very low paying job, or never retire at all.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Older people and people with health conditions don't work? That's news to me. This is after all a country where people retire and immediately take another very low paying job, or never retire at all.
It’s something like 20% of 65+ that are employed and I wouldn’t be surprised if that is also skewed toward people who are in good health. The vast majority of the workforce (and entertainment) falls into the not at risk population and that’s what they’ll look at when assessing risk.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It’s something like 20% of 65+ that are employed and I wouldn’t be surprised if that is also skewed toward people who are in good health. The vast majority of the workforce (and entertainment) falls into the not at risk population and that’s what they’ll look at when assessing risk.

Because none of those people have to be around anyone who goes to work at all.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Because none of those people have to be around anyone who goes to work at all.
That’s not what anyone is saying either. But your statement was very sensational. The vast majority of people infected will be mild or asymptomatic and as the initial spike of infections lowers it will be treated much like other widespread viruses where there’s going to be a lot of emphasis on proper hygiene and staying home for those with symptoms. They’re not just going to keep people home until there’s a cure or a vaccine. Life will go on and it will likely be sooner than some people want it to be. Again, I think we all harbour some personal fears for those close to us that are at risk (and have empathy toward those that aren’t close) but society and governments have to look at the bigger picture and the best course for the most people. Hopefully at that point it’s under control enough that the risk for those worst affected is mitigated and controllable.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Ah. The White House :laugh:

Considering the lack of testing the death rate for people below at least 50 is probably not higher than a normal flu.

This might have changed over the last 24 hours, but the average age of people dying from this in Norway so far is 89. Obviously ridiculously small sample so far, but my guess is that the White House is wrong.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Time will tell, but so far by far the biggest dataset is what worldometer got.

As for that last article it says nothing about the number of people in the different age groups that are infected.

“if that many younger people are being hospitalized, that means that there are a lot of young people in the community that are walking around with the infection.”

So the two do not have to be mutually exclusive at this point. My guess they are not. Obviously just a guess at this point.

Obviously young people will die as well. They have and will. Not that I am comparing it with the flu in general, but influenza has so far killed 2 high school students in Norway. So even if the death rate for people under 50 is comparable with influenza people will still die.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Time will tell, but so far by far the biggest dataset is what worldometer got.

As for that last article it says nothing about the number of people in the different age groups that are infected.

“if that many younger people are being hospitalized, that means that there are a lot of young people in the community that are walking around with the infection.”

So the two do not have to be mutually exclusive at this point. My guess they are not. Obviously just a guess at this point.

Obviously young people will die as well. They have and will. Not that I am comparing it with the flu in general, but influenza has so far killed 2 high school students in Norway. So even if the death rate for people under 50 is comparable with influenza people will still die.
There was an article in the NY Post with a big headline of "21 Year Old Soccer Coach Dies From Coronavirus" about someone who died in (IIRC) Spain. Sounds like the virus has taken a terrifying twist and is now killing young people. But then you read the article and it turns out the poor kid had leukemia. Oh. So when I saw the story linked above (which I can't read because I haven't registered for an account) my first thought was "Since this pattern has happened nowhere else in the world what explains it?" and then my next thought was that I suspect that most of them already had serious preexisting medical issues.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
There was an article in the NY Post with a big headline of "21 Year Old Soccer Coach Dies From Coronavirus" about someone who died in (IIRC) Spain. Sounds like the virus has taken a terrifying twist and is now killing young people. But then you read the article and it turns out the poor kid had leukemia. Oh. So when I saw the story linked above (which I can't read because I haven't registered for an account) my first thought was "Since this pattern has happened nowhere else in the world what explains it?" and then my next thought was that I suspect that most of them already had serious preexisting medical issues.

I am not sure if it was from one hospital or region in Italy, but among around 300 people that have died 99.2% of them had one or more preexisting conditions. On average they had three (on a list of 10 or whatever conditions - obviously a question in itself how you define this).

Not arguing that therefore we can let people die, but I am starting to become slightly more positive about it.

Estimations about 20 000 dying in Norway, but it is also a fairly honest understanding that a lot of those would die in 2020 Corona or not. I think the next couple of weeks will bring some clarity to how long one should uphold the current restrictions to movement etc.

Also positive that there are apparently no new local cases in China. I still don't understand how that is possible, but if true fantastic.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I am not sure if it was from one hospital or region in Italy, but among around 300 people that have died 99.2% of them had one or more preexisting conditions. On average they had three (on a list of 10 or whatever conditions - obviously a question in itself how you define this).

Not arguing that therefore we can let people die, but I am starting to become slightly more positive about it.

Estimations about 20 000 dying in Norway, but it is also a fairly honest understanding that a lot of those would die in 2020 Corona or not. I think the next couple of weeks will bring some clarity to how long one should uphold the current restrictions to movement etc.

Also positive that there are apparently no new local cases in China. I still don't understand how that is possible, but if true fantastic.
I am skeptical of anything their government says but one reason I am certain the situation in Wuhan is under control is because Xi went there for a state visit. No way he goes there if there was still a risk of contracting the virus (when the thing was ongoing he sent his underlings to visit).

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I am skeptical of anything their government says but one reason I am certain the situation in Wuhan is under control is because Xi went there for a state visit. No way he goes there if there was still a risk of contracting the virus (when the thing was ongoing he sent his underlings to visit).

I am repeating myself, but I don't see why the Chinese would start lying now? (not to you, but it has been discussed here before)

As for trusting governments I think that goes for all. So far during this I would say Singapore and Sweden seem to be of the more intelligent ones. Not that I am an expert and have followed everything they have said to the public - so I could be wrong. In Norway they have up until yesterday just dodged questions about the cost benefit analysis of having x amount of people die etc. - even if it is obvious that is something that has to be considered.

That is the good thing about the US I guess. You cannot accuse them of having the intention of lying. During a press conference you might hear 3 versions of the "truth". Unless that is perfectly planned they just misinform without being malicious about it (depending on how you define incompetence).

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Young people might not die, but they get hospitalized. Leading to less access for people who will die.

that said, some of this is based on the premise that the virus doesn’t change or patterns are consistent from what we have seen. We don’t know at this stage.

Reactions: robertmac43

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
pIDsYQQ.png

Reactions: Jussi

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

This is such a silly stance. It’s like saying the people that die from COVID-19 were mostly just people who were dying anyway it just accelerated the process.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
This is such a silly stance. It’s like saying the people that die from COVID-19 were mostly just people who were dying anyway it just accelerated the process.

You're the silly one here if you thought the economy just goes up forever without a correction.

Everyone dies. But as a society we should do our best to prevent that for as long as possible.

People can still try to find jobs if they lose them and governments can still try to implement policies to relieve people from economic strain.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
You can't take a joke?

Oh I'm here for it. Just don't whine when the Liverpool fan base comes back in full force is all I'm saying. We've seen that people think Liverpool fans is annoying and obnoxious when dishing it back over and over again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad