News Article: Preds to Retire Pekka Rinne #35

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
He’s got that perfect balance of high end performance for a long time, plus so beloved by the fans. Well deserved

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Banner jokes...the lowest hanging fruit in the hockey joke community. Was a chuckle the very 1st time the actual joke was made. Now it's like my grandpa telling me the same story about going to the grocery store and seeing how much a gallon of milk costs.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Well deserved. Peks was an elite goalie for a good period of his career and a stellar #1 for a very long time.

I'm not a Preds fan (though I like the team and will definitely visit Nashville next time I'm in the states) but I wanted to share a tiny tidbit about Rinne.

I live in Oulu, it's the city where Rinne used to play before his NHL career. We have a pretty good franchise called Kärpät. Rinne played with us at the same time as Niklas Bäckström did (Minnesota goalie). We all were 100% certain that Bäckström would be the greater goalie of the two. Bäcks got most starts here and Rinne was sort of a 3rd string goalie for us.

I don't know how, but Rinne just developed his game so well. He went on to be one of the premier goalies of his era. I tip my hat for him. Even back in Kärpät days Rinne was always a gentleman and professional. Fan favorite. He always had time to chat with fans and always was polite, savvyy and smart.

I also once met him here in Oulu after he was established NHL great. Maybe 2-3 years back. Bumped to him in a grocery store. We were picking beers at the same time. He told me he was going to a barbeque party and was picking some beers for that occasion. I wished him good party and we separated our ways. Nice dude, likes barbeque and beer.

Congrats Pekka Rinne! What a career for a 3rd string Finnish league goalie!

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Immediately bought tickets after the announcement, kinda love that its the same week as the Outdoor Game.

Pekka definitely deserves it, and itll be nice to see him back at Bridgestone.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Congratulations Pekka this wasn't a surprise and you're earned this honor.
Next step some well paid retirement job ( goalie coach etc ) for Rinne.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
David Legwand.
First NHL draft pick ( 2nd overall 1998 ) in history Nashville Predators NHL franchise.

I'm the biggest Legwand fan I've ever known but other than compiling totals, he never won any individual awards, never won the division, conference or cup, was rarely the best player or leading scorer in any season and didn't finish his career here. Easy to see why he didn't get that honor.

Reactions: bdub24

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I gotta say I was kinda hoping Peks would stay in good shape and consider a Mike Fisher type return if we were in a playoff spot but Ridditch was shitty or hurt. Knew it was a longshot but I'm guessing this means hes really done for good.

Reactions: bdub24

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Very well-deserved; he was one of the first premier players to re-sign with our team long-term. On top of being a great player, he was also a genuinely good person and excellent ambassador for the Preds throughout his tenure. Wish him all the best and happy to hoist #35 to the rafters.

Reactions: hockey diva

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Legwand was never a fan favorite. He was never the “face of the franchise” like Shea or Pekka. He was criticized a lot, sometimes without reason. He was a second overall pick who did not translate his offensive numbers from junior to the NHL. He also had Trotz as a coach who pushed him to have 2 way game. When he got traded to Detroit, he could not get out of here fast enough. So, no, Legwand’s number will never be retired by us unless worn by another player who deserves the recognition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad