McKenzie: Preds shopping Subban to clear cap space for Josi extension / Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
We won't consider Zaitsev to play as a bottom pair player for 4.5 million. That's never going to happen.

Never say never. Zaitsev NTC kicks in for the upcoming season, so we can once again trade for someone whose NTC we decide not to honor. Fabbro is on an ELC for two more seasons, so if everything else works out, I wouldn't rule this completely out. We would obviously take a risk of not being able to move him or have Seattle pick him in an expansion draft, but if it comes with otherwise the best possible return, I don't know...definitely possible.

Everyone talking like they need to trade subban to make space for josi's new deal. I havent looked at the preds cap situation. But it seems like if josis potential contract isnt the issue, they're obviously looking at free agency. So duchene. With that said...wouldnt the more obvious guy you want to unload be turris? Hes horrible and would be pushed down to 3c anyways. Rather keep subban. Remove turris an lock up duchene, if that's the plan. And yah I'm aware that subban for the most part our side this year has been the preds best dman. Well good luck.

From a fan perspective, Turris would definitely be the primary source of cap savings, but it's not that simple. Smith's or Granlund's expiring contracts or another move next year could cover the Josi extension, so you're kind of right. Saving at least 4M would save just enough to keep both of those guys I suppose. Not ideal, but still enough.

Reactions: Enoch

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
And this is why I know for a fact the hate for subban goes beyond hockey for some people. I've never seen a player hated so much for pledging that much money to help kids. It's sickening.

His foundation pledged*

My dislike of PK stems purely from the fact that he claims repeatedly to be donating 10 million but instead has his tax write-off that his family benefits from raising the money.

I'm not denying it's a good thing, I commend the people raising money for the work they do and respect that they are using his celebrity status to raise the funds. It's the fact he is so dishonest about it that caused me to go from a PK loved to a person that dislikes him.

He repeatedly lies about it rather than being honest like most athletes who have these foundations.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Remember when everyone and their mother thought the Habs got hosed in that Weber/PK trade? Good times.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Remember when everyone and their mother thought the Habs got hosed in that Weber/PK trade? Good times.

They still did get hosed. Nashville has made the playoffs every year since the deal, made the finals and Montreal has done nothing. Weber is a depleating asset that is only going to get worse as he ages and the contract will be untradable. Nashville will get assets in a Subban trade.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Preds are willing to retain upwards of 3 million of Subban’s salary according to Pagnotta.
I said earlier in a different thread that I'd only take him if the Preds retained at least $2 million which seems completely unrealistic. But $3 million? $6 million a year for Subban? Sign me up. Hes not a #1 D but $6 million a year for Subban is a bargain. Nashville would be foolish to retain that much even with an overpayment.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Subban has been good for us and if I'm not mistaken Weber has been good for MTL, what's the big deal? I don't think there's a clear winner at the moment. Who knows what would have happened if both teams kept their players.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
We will see what happens today. I do think with how the draft went down, there are some really exciting names left going into day 2.

I'm debating if Poile is looking for futures or cap controlled impact players now. Our prospect cabinet is BARE outside of Tolvanen.

If you are able to move Subban's salary and get a hull of prospects (some who may be ready to make the jump to the show) and picks, then get Duchene and sign a serviceable #4... I'm not convinced that isn't a good idea long term, especially if it means freeing up space for Josi's extension.

I could see Poile being interested in someone like Justin Faulk. A good top 4 who is cheap with one year left on his deal. Not sure we have the assets the Canes would want, but that's an example of the player I could see us targeting if we traded Subban.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
His foundation pledged*

My dislike of PK stems purely from the fact that he claims repeatedly to be donating 10 million but instead has his tax write-off that his family benefits from raising the money.

I'm not denying it's a good thing, I commend the people raising money for the work they do and respect that they are using his celebrity status to raise the funds. It's the fact he is so dishonest about it that caused me to go from a PK loved to a person that dislikes him.

He repeatedly lies about it rather than being honest like most athletes who have these foundations.

Even with the tax right off that is still like 5 or 6 million. He donated an equivalent of a whole years salary to charity. That is more than most people have done. Lay off the guy.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
His foundation pledged*

Anyone who donates money in Canada gets a tax refund. Charitable donations are tax deductible. At least good is coming from his contributions, even if he benefits.

No reason to hate, every NHL making 9+ could do this but dont. Because he gets a tax incentive to do so, is a ridiculous reason to criticize his donations.

Reactions: Vito_81

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Even with the tax right off that is still like 5 or 6 million. He donated an equivalent of a whole years salary to charity. That is more than most people have done. Lay off the guy.

What no, he's only donated a couple hundred thousand not 5-6 million. He donates approximately 100k-125k per year. He's donated less than the salaries of his family members who run the foundation. But again, I get it it, this happens. Tons of athletes have these foundations. The difference is the lying part, the going on the Trevor Noah show and claiming to donate 10m when you've actually donated less than 3 percent of that number.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Anyone who donates money in Canada gets a tax refund. Charitable donations are tax deductible. At least good is coming from his contributions, even if he benefits.

No reason to hate, every NHL making 9+ could do this but dont. Because he gets a tax incentive to do so, is a ridiculous reason to criticize his donations.

Difference is that most don't directly benefit financially benefit from their donations. Every NHL player likely donated to charity, I can think of 5-6 off the top of my head who have charities in their name. Not a single one of those other players lies about their contribution though, that's the difference.

Ignoring the woefully inept running of the foundation (Quebec politician criticized it for having very heavy admin and promotion costs and not giving as much to charity as advertised, I haven't actually seen the cost breakdown though, just the overall numbers), the problem is lying and not the foundation itself. Anyone that straight up lies to make themselves look nice is a crappy person in my book, using sick kids to further your brand is why I stopped being a pk fan.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Let's not pretend that Montreal scored big getting Weber.
I think the consensus was that Weber was and is a "fine player".

It was Nashville who was supposed to have won big.

Now hearing rumors of Nashville wanting to move him and retaining salary, forgive the doubters for raising their eyebrows just a bit.

In b4 Nashville did good and Montreal didn't so there

Reactions: Reality Czech
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad