Post-Game Talk: Preds @ Flames - 7:30 MT SN1

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
We've been out of it for almost a month now, this season won't end :laugh:

Flames season summary thus far

Johnny Gaudreau summary

Sorry, can't seem to find the gif versions. The gif vers were replaced by webmd videos. I'm being lazy. Not going learn how to make gifs just for this. :D

Gotta be more creative to keep us entertained. :laugh:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Flames season summary thus far

Johnny Gaudreau summary

Sorry, can't seem to find the gif versions. The gif vers were replaced by webmd videos. I'm being lazy. Not going learn how to make gifs just for this. :D

Gotta be more creative to keep us entertained. :laugh:

I approve of the above message. :vhappy:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Yes it may cost the team more then but then you have a better sense of where his potential really lies. If it cost 9 M to sign Johnny in 2-3 years I am good with that but to get 9M a year you are talking Patrick Kane like numbers offensively and defensively and I am sure any Flames fan would be good with that.

By that time you also will have a clearer idea of Monny's potential, Bennett's potential, First round pick this years potential, how much Gio's game suffers as he ages, exactly what Dougie's potential is.

Now what if we do draft Liane and teams figure out how to defend against Johnny. Some suggest we should pay him 8M AAV now and lets say we do. Johnny is making 8M AAV and is producing 40 points a season. Laine is at the end of his ELC and is scoring 40 goals a season and like Dougie we are forced to trade him for fear of offer sheets. That is how things will be if we sign even 1 bad contract. I am about erring to the side of caution.

:blah: :wedgie:

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
All I am saying is that for Johnny to get crazy money (over 7 M AAV) he will have to bring IT for 2-3 more years before Treliving gives it to him. There are holes in his game just like any young player and BT will want to make sure his investment is sound.

Since people don't like me mentioning Kessel I will mention Vanek, Semin, Schultz, Gagner, Hodgson, or one of my fav's Clarkson.

So you're comparing Gaudreau to one guy that's around the same level talent wise, a guy that injuries caught up to him and he lost his shot and footspeed, a guy that was given a pile of money after proving nothing coming out of college and doesn't even play the same position, and three guys who's best seasons were about 0.5ppg. How are these proving any point that you might have? The reason why Vanek's salary was so inflated too, if you remember, is because he got an offer sheet that Buffalo matched. There's a very real posibility that this might happen with Gaudreau if they only sign him to a 2-3 year contract as you're suggesting, when someone swoops in a tried to snag him off the flames with an offer sheet.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yes it may cost the team more then but then you have a better sense of where his potential really lies. If it cost 9 M to sign Johnny in 2-3 years I am good with that but to get 9M a year you are talking Patrick Kane like numbers offensively and defensively and I am sure any Flames fan would be good with that.

By that time you also will have a clearer idea of Monny's potential, Bennett's potential, First round pick this years potential, how much Gio's game suffers as he ages, exactly what Dougie's potential is.

Now what if we do draft Liane and teams figure out how to defend against Johnny. Some suggest we should pay him 8M AAV now and lets say we do. Johnny is making 8M AAV and is producing 40 points a season. Laine is at the end of his ELC and is scoring 40 goals a season and like Dougie we are forced to trade him for fear of offer sheets. That is how things will be if we sign even 1 bad contract. I am about erring to the side of caution.

While I completely disagree with how you came to this premise I think there is one thing to not be forgotten here.

If management signs Johnny to a bridge deal, its because they think its best for the team in the long run. Fine. Its not because they doubt his ability the way you seem to.

Some of us would rather hopefully lock him up sooner and end with an Erik Karlsson type deal instead of a PK Subban type deal.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
So you're comparing Gaudreau to one guy that's around the same level talent wise, a guy that injuries caught up to him and he lost his shot and footspeed, a guy that was given a pile of money after proving nothing coming out of college and doesn't even play the same position, and three guys who's best seasons were about 0.5ppg. How are these proving any point that you might have? The reason why Vanek's salary was so inflated too, if you remember, is because he got an offer sheet that Buffalo matched. There's a very real posibility that this might happen with Gaudreau if they only sign him to a 2-3 year contract as you're suggesting, when someone swoops in a tried to snag him off the flames with an offer sheet.

As was explained elsewhere if the club elects for arbitration either 48 hours after the Stanley Cup or June 15 whichever is earlier Johnny would not be eligible for an offer sheet.

Page 59

If you believe the talent level of Gaudreau and Kessel are the same why would the same 7.5M - 8M dollar contract not have the same potential to be an albatross as it was in Toronto?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
If you believe the talent level of Gaudreau and Kessel are the same why would the same 7.5M - 8M dollar contract not have the same potential to be an albatross as it was in Toronto?

Not that Kessel has the talent level or general ability to influence positively the play that Gaudreau possesses, but the difference is:

Kessel's contract runs from age 27 to 34 with an NMC and Limited NTC for the life of the contract.
Gaudreau's contract would run from age 23 to 30 and only ages 27, 28, 29, and 30 could have a NTC/NMC.

Ages 31-34 are declining years for forwards.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I haven't posted on here in a long while and after reading some of this I now know why.
run before you get sucked back in again, please it's for your own mental well being.

What... what ****ing universe are you from? Must be a pretty ****** parallel universe because I've hardly ever (if ever) seen Gaudreau take a night off. He's had bad games before, but I can't say I've seen him take a night off, let alone a ton of them.
the moon, pretty sure he is from the moon :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad