Half-Assed GDT: Preds Blues: Oh, Hello O'Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
The Blues bottom 6 spends too much time in their own zone. They also need to replace Kapanen with a real top 6 forward. I’m hoping Snuggarud gets a chance when his season ends.

Reactions: Robb_K

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
nope, it’s on me. Whenever I switch from tank to playoffs, they lose.
Whenever they win a few consecutive games, and start feeling good about themselves, and we fans start feeling good about them again, they lose a stinker to a lousy team. It's like clockwork. They need to get more cohesiveness and confidence as a team, and more determined to win no matter what. Maybe that'll come when Snuggeruud and some of the other prospects are added.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This is the type of game that Tucker should be playing in, against a physical division rival. He actually played one of his better games against Columbus before the break and now we’re just sitting him again. Rosen has been pretty invisible anyways, might as well play the younger guy.

Reactions: Celtic Note

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Whenever they win a few consecutive games, and start feeling good about themselves, and we fans start feeling good about them again, they lose a stinker to a lousy team. It's like clockwork.
100%. This is why, regardless of standings, the Blues should be selling at the TDL. And FWIW, I think they will be.

Reactions: Fitrix and Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
100%. This is why, regardless of standings, the Blues should be selling at the TDL. And FWIW, I think they will be.
i expect us to be fairly quiet unless we get sizable offer for buchy that we feel we can't turn down. faulk and krug and the like are more likely to be moved over summer when cap space is more abundant. and we don't really have any rentals that will bring much back. why deal guys who are mostly helping us for late picks, unless you are trying to create spot for prospect? if someone offers a 3rd for one of our rentals i'd consider it, but otherwise i think marco and kap- mid as they are - are worth more to us than a late pick. blais or vrana i would gladly give to anyone willing to take them. sunny i want to keep around.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
After yesterday's loss at home against a wild card competitor, I think we are cooked. This team doesn't have the heart to bring it. They are content to coast. Best to sell at the deadline and wait for next year.

Reactions: Ranksu

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
After yesterday's loss at home against a wild card competitor, I think we are cooked. This team doesn't have the heart to bring it. They are content to coast. Best to sell at the deadline and wait for next year.

I think we need to get Hannifin and if we don't we're in a world of shit. How many more #1 LD are going to hit the market that we don't snag?

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
8-3 in the last 11, iirc

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday, but it seems like they had a 5 min letdown that they couldn't recover from
more times than not, lately at least, they've been competitive and fun to watch. honestly, can't wait to see what they look like next year

Reactions: Reality Czech

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Didn't watch the game yesterday but apparently Binnington has been fined 5K for high sticking someone yesterday

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
If people don’t like guys who turn the puck over then we should absolutely target Hanifin.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
Didn't watch the game yesterday but apparently Binnington has been fined 5K for high sticking someone yesterday
Yeah, I think this was BS. I don't think it was intentional and the Preds player sold it pretty good too.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
This is the type of game that Tucker should be playing in, against a physical division rival. He actually played one of his better games against Columbus before the break and now we’re just sitting him again. Rosen has been pretty invisible anyways, might as well play the younger guy.
as someone who is not particularly high on Tucker, he should be playing over Rosen, he won't get any better just sitting

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Rosen only played 11:45, the minus he took was on a Scandella turnover. I don't know what he was supposed to do in 11:45 of ice time to really stand out.

I mean, I think it's weird that it's bad that Rosen was "pretty invisible" and that's bad, but a few weeks back, people talked about not noticing Kessel out on the ice and that was really good - at which point I noted that was kind of true, he'd played like 11 games, 180 minutes and had been on the ice for 3 total goals. I'm not saying "I didn't notice Kessel" + "nothing really happened while he was out there" is bad, I'm just saying I don't get why "didn't notice him" is alternately good and bad depending on which bottom-pairing defenseman we're talking about.

Reactions: Blueston

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Rosen only played 11:45, the minus he took was on a Scandella turnover. I don't know what he was supposed to do in 11:45 of ice time to really stand out.

I mean, I think it's weird that it's bad that Rosen was "pretty invisible" and that's bad, but a few weeks back, people talked about not noticing Kessel out on the ice and that was really good - at which point I noted that was kind of true, he'd played like 11 games, 180 minutes and had been on the ice for 3 total goals. I'm not saying "I didn't notice Kessel" + "nothing really happened while he was out there" is bad, I'm just saying I don't get why "didn't notice him" is alternately good and bad depending on which bottom-pairing defenseman we're talking about.
…yeah, he played 11:45. Isn’t that my point? If you’re going to barely play a 30-year old defenseman, why is he in the lineup over the younger player? It doesn’t make sense.

Also, I’m not one of the ones that said being invisible = good. I understand the point those posters were making but I do want my d-men (and all players) to be noticeable and make an impact in some way. Rosen I consider to be a puck-moving defenseman. If he’s not doing that or creating offense, then I don’t consider him to be useful. He’s not a stay at home, shutdown d-man so there is no argument to be made that his invisibility is a good thing. I can understand that more for a rookie like Kessel if it means he’s not making mistakes, but I still want Kessel to be noticeable too.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
…yeah, he played 11:45. Isn’t that my point? If you’re going to barely play a 30-year old defenseman, why is he in the lineup over the younger player? It doesn’t make sense.
Why did Kessel get called up over Rosen in the first place? That arguably didn't make any sense IMO, but it happened. I would certainly never look at that, look at Rosen now in the lineup, then ask well why doesn't Rosen play more? It's pretty clear Bannister chose Kessel over Rosen for whatever reason, so it's pretty logical that he'd then play Kessel more than Rosen when they're both on the roster.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Why did Kessel get called up over Rosen in the first place? That arguably didn't make any sense IMO, but it happened. I would certainly never look at that, look at Rosen now in the lineup, then ask well why doesn't Rosen play more? It's pretty clear Bannister chose Kessel over Rosen for whatever reason, so it's pretty logical that he'd then play Kessel more than Rosen when they're both on the roster.
I don’t see how that’s relevant since I’m talking about Tucker.

I’m assuming they called Kessel up to get a look at him since he’s a prospect they drafted, and he has shown well. That’s exactly what I want - for them to play younger guys over Rosen.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Kyrou had a good first period. When he stops overthinking and plays to his strengths he is a valuable player. Kessel generally moves really well for his size, but I think he struggles a bit when threatened with outside speed. I think he can be a top 4 D if he comes back next year with improvement in that area and some other general progress from an NHL offseason.

Now I'm doing the wrong thread thing :facepalm:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
8-3 in the last 11, iirc

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday, but it seems like they had a 5 min letdown that they couldn't recover from
more times than not, lately at least, they've been competitive and fun to watch. honestly, can't wait to see what they look like next year

Thanks for the rational take. This forum always overreacts after a loss. Yeah it sucks to lose to the team chasing us in the standings, but I don't think it completely cancels out the last few weeks of strong play. We had some chances to even the game or take the lead but we didn't capitalize on our chances and Nashville did. Saros was the clear star of the game as well.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I don’t see how that’s relevant since I’m talking about Tucker.
Maybe Tucker, in a game against a "physical division rival," may not have been as well-suited for it as you think, so having someone who would be "invisible" would be better than someone who'd be physical but end up being a negative. Maybe even though "He actually played one of his better games against Columbus before the break and now we’re just sitting him again" the coaching staff thinks the team is still better with him out of the lineup.

I don't know. I don't care what the reasoning is. What I do know is that apparently being invisible in a game is bad if you're 30 and a bottom-pairing defenseman playing 11:45, but it's good if you're 23 and a bottom-pairing defenseman but playing 15,16, 17 minutes - which is the entire point I was trying to make.

Apparently, MMVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad