Speculation: Predictions for Future Inductees of the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
For me Selanne and Tkachuk are musts. Selanne for the record and memories. Tkachuk had a 50 and 40 goal season here. Wore the C as well.

From the old era I wonder if Paul Mac Lean will get consideration for his 3 40 goal seasons. By far one of the worst skating forwards in an era when speed was not the identity of hockey, but he worked with Ducky.

From Jets 2.0 Wheeler is a lock. I think Scheifele is too, one day. After that Byfuglien would be hard to ignore, as a fan favourite for many years. And one of our best playoff performers. Hellebuyck is by far the best goalie we've ever had. So those 4 stand out to me.

I like the Joe Daley selection as a Winnipeg icon.

Reactions: Jets4Life

mondena

Aug 2, 2011
Cape Town
Teemu set the rookie record.
Does he go in because of it because he pretty much only averaged a point per game after his first season?
Serious question.

Just over 1.18 p/g, and 0.48 g/g after his first season is pretty solid. Those numbers were certainly slowed down by the impact of his injury. In his last season in WPG he had 72pts in 51 games, thats back up to 1.4 pts/game, and he finished the season 8th in the NHL in pts. While those numbers do not match his rookie season, they are hardly terrible numbers.

Last edited:

mondena

Aug 2, 2011
Cape Town
If Winnipeg never lost their franchise, I don't think Teemu would be in the discussion. He became the endearing legacy of the team during our 15 years in the abyss. I'm not sure whether that means he should be honoured or not. He's a Duck through and through though.

If Winnipeg hadn't been losing their franchise, it would never have set in motion the series of events (pressure from new ownership group to trade selanne) that lead to him being moved. So if Winnipeg never lost their franchise, he would have stayed longer. Therefore, i agree we wouldn't be having this discussion as nobody would argue he would not be in.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If Winnipeg hadn't been losing their franchise, it would never have set in motion the series of events (pressure from new ownership group to trade selanne) that lead to him being moved. So if Winnipeg never lost their franchise, he would have stayed longer. Therefore, i agree we wouldn't be having this discussion as nobody would argue he would not be in.

There was no way the Jets would have traded Selanne, if they would have found an ownership group that would have kept them in Winnipeg. Selanne was probably the only untouchable Jet after his rookie season. It was the new owners who put pressure on Paddock to deal away Selanne, as they could not afford both players, and Tkachuk was an American, and the owners assumed he would be an easier sell to Phoenix, as the face of the franchise.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

The point is he only played a couple of hundred games for us. If Kent Nilsson had spent his career here instead of a couple hundred games, he'd be in the rafters too. Selanne has become romanticized because we didn't have a team to follow, so we followed our favourite NHLer for 15 years.

Reactions: RabidOne

Hein57

Feb 5, 2021
The point is he only played a couple of hundred games for us. If Kent Nilsson had spent his career here instead of a couple hundred games, he'd be in the rafters too. Selanne has become romanticized because we didn't have a team to follow, so we followed our favourite NHLer for 15 years.

Ab McDonald only played 147 games for the Jets.

Hein57

Feb 5, 2021
why is he in the rafters?

He was the first Jets captain in the WHA era. Not great stats. But that just shows that its not all about longevity. Nobody really knows what the qualifications are. But i would have to say based on that, that Teemu would have a great chance of being up there. He did something historic as a member of the Jets.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
He was the first Jets captain in the WHA era. Not great stats. But that just shows that its not all about longevity. Nobody really knows what the qualifications are. But i would have to say based on that, that Teemu would have a great chance of being up there. He did something historic as a member of the Jets.
He played an historic role for the Jets. Before Hull signed he was the one giving the team credibility. His was the 2nd most important signing in year 1. He was a legit NHL star playing out the string as a local boy coming home.

Anecdote: When McDonald was with the Red Wings in the Original Six he had a summer job at a brewery (I believe at Molson's or Carling's) and my dad coached a ball club. The brewery was a sponsor and we had to visit the brewery to make arrangements for a delivery. He asked "who's your favourite team?" I struggled to remember all the teams, and after 5 there was only one left and after some thought I said "Detroit". He was laughing and gave me a Red Wing key chain. My dad's team was all jealous of this. Licensed merch was not available then and here was a little kid with the same key chain Gordie Howe uses. The envy flourished. And for a few years Detroit was my favourite team.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
IMHO, Ab McDonald should never have been inducted into the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame. He just does not belong there, and being their first captain, or a Winnipeg boy is pretty much irrelevant.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd say for 1.0 Jets we could see Housley, Ellett and perhaps Zhamnov and Tkachuk.

For 2.0, I think Wheeler might get there. I thought Byfuglien would be a shoo in but the way he exited might prevent that. I still think he belongs as he's one of a kind and perhaps one of the most deserving of being in a hall of fame.

As for us having more players than the Oilers, who cares? A lot of those guys were very deserving of the honor, just because they didn't play in a powerhouse dynasty shouldn't diminish that. I'd even say playing on such a powerful team would make it harder to stand out and be worthy of that.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
For me you have to assess who belongs not by a set of hard parameters, but by analyzing the name of the honor "Hall of Fame".

Selanne set an nhl record and had a historic and electrifying rookie season. Every game was an event, and every time he was on the ice the sense of excitement permeated Winnipeg.

For that reason I think the nod is well deserved.

Reactions: RabidOne

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
For me you have to assess who belongs not by a set of hard parameters, but by analyzing the name of the honor "Hall of Fame".

Selanne set an nhl record and had a historic and electrifying rookie season. Every game was an event, and every time he was on the ice the sense of excitement permeated Winnipeg.

For that reason I think the nod is well deserved.

Yup, his total impact in those 231 one games was also hall of fame/super star level.

He posted 1.3 ppg, had the NHL goals rookie record to boot.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Buff was such a factor in games and a type of player that doesn't come around very often, a NFL linebacker that could actually skate and change a game with one big hit and had a rocket from the point. Losing Buff changed the team in a huge way, we haven't been the same since. Buff is a automatic for the Jets Hall of Fame for me, i hated how it ended but at least Buff didn't go and sign with another team after he stopped being a Winnipeg Jet . Had he done that i would probably feel different . Something to great to watch on a rainy day.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Not including any current jets these are the players I feel should get some consideration with most to least(more or less)

Joe Daley
Paul McLean
Laurie Boschman
Keith Tkachuk
Phil Housley
Fredrik Olausson
Dave Christian
David Babych
Bob Essensa
Paul Maurice

Man, most, or all won't be considered but these are the ones who made some kind of a mark while they were here.

Reactions: Exiled Jets Fan

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Buff was such a factor in games and a type of player that doesn't come around very often, a NFL linebacker that could actually skate and change a game with one big hit and had a rocket from the point. Losing Buff changed the team in a huge way, we haven't been the same since. Buff is a automatic for the Jets Hall of Fame for me, i hated how it ended but at least Buff didn't go and sign with another team after he stopped being a Winnipeg Jet . Had he done that i would probably feel different . Something to great to watch on a rainy day.

he quit on the team right as we were reaching the top. He forced us into years of scrambling and playing catch up. I hope the Jets do absolutely nothing to honour someone that selfish.

Reactions: Bigfish

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Not including any current jets these are the players I feel should get some consideration with most to least(more or less)

Joe Daley
Paul McLean
Laurie Boschman
Keith Tkachuk
Phil Housley
Fredrik Olausson
Dave Christian
David Babych
Bob Essensa
Paul Maurice

Man, most, or all won't be considered but these are the ones who made some kind of a mark while they were here.
The only one I can get behind is Mclean. He maintained that 20% shooting percentage with detroit to show it wasnt just playing with Hawerchuk.
I like Housley, too short of a stint with the Jets. Not sure Daley was a star, did they win because of him, or with him?
Dave Christian? A guy that didnt want to play here and had his best years in Washington? Nope.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
he quit on the team right as we were reaching the top. He forced us into years of scrambling and playing catch up. I hope the Jets do absolutely nothing to honour someone that selfish.
Buff played 8 years with the Jets, i agree i didn't like how it ended and had he played for another team i would feel like you but you can't deny what a great player he was. If he had demanded a trade out of Winnipeg i would agree with you but Buff was a different dude and the way he went out is sorta right up his ally.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad