Predict the Standings

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Its pre-season, a chance to be optimistic...

1) Dallas
2) St. Louis
3) Vancouver
4) LA
5) Chicago
6) Edmonton
7) San Jose
8) Detroit
9) Colorado
10) Minn
11) Nash
12) Pho
13) Anahiem
14) Calgary
15) Columbus

Edm. versus Van. in first round - Edmonton in 6.
2nd round exit to Dallas or St. Louis.
Pens win cup.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
WEST

1. Los Angeles
2. St. Louis
3. Vancouver
4. Chicago
5. San Jose
6. Dallas
7. Nashville
8. Edmonton
------------------
9. Minnesota
10. Detroit
11. Colorado
12. Calgary
13. Phoenix
14. Anaheim
15. Columbus

EAST

1. Pittsburgh
2. Boston
3. Rangers
4. Washington
5. Philadelphia
6. Carolina
7. Buffalo
8. Ottowa
---------------
9. Florida
10. Tampa Bay
11. New Jersey
12. Islanders
13. Toronto
14. Winnipeg
15. Montreal

7. thru 12. in the west all have legitimate teams worthy of being in the playoffs. Would be a tight race in a 82 game schedule. With a short season this does seem like an exercise in futility. No real way to know who can put together the best streak and ride that all the way into the playoffs.

Last year Minny went from #1 to second last in points in the west. During those stretches they both the best team in the NHL and then the worst by far if you only looked at those periods of time.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I watch because I am a fan. Doesnt mean Im delusional.:shakehead

There are so many intangibles to what makes up a team. On paper the Oilers are far better than most people give them credit for.

Judging from history there are 2 big things that turn a team around.

1. Development/Trade for good talent.
2. Coaching.

The Oilers have a ton of talent they are developing. That wont happen over night. It won't be this year second last again and then next year play offs! Then 2 seasons and a cup!

No that won't happen. But history has proven that with the talent on our team we should be getting significantly better this year. If you do not think we will improve this year, by your statistics, I would assume you do not believe the Oilers will get into the playoffs over the next ten years.

Coaching can swing us either way. I like Ralph. I think he can improve the Oil this year. Which when combined with our team and development "shouldn't" be anything worse than 10th in the west.

IMO :)

Oct 15, 2008
Are you saying fans that genuinely believe this team can make the playoffs are delusional?

That has been the pattern. People have been calling for the Oilers to make the playoffs at the beginning of each of the last three seasons. They finished 30th, 30th, 29th. What would you call it? Being very, very wrong? Over and over again? Doesnt seem too far away from delusional to me.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
That has been the pattern. People have been calling for the Oilers to make the playoffs at the beginning of each of the last three seasons. They finished 30th, 30th, 29th. What would you call it? Being very, very wrong? Over and over again? Doesnt seem too far away from delusional to me.

First of all, most Oilers fans didn't believe playoffs were attainable in the last two years. Most Oilers fans were realistic because they knew playoffs are longshot because they were still rebuilding.

Most Oilers fans are basing their predictions on the fact that our core top 6 forwards have had ample playing time in the AHL and are in mid-season form and with this shortened NHL season, it's going to benefit the team.

Optimism =/= delusions

I have yet to see anything positive coming out of your posts. Or are you the type of person that loves the spotlight of being HFOil's devil's advocate?

Oct 15, 2008
First of all, most Oilers fans didn't believe playoffs were attainable in the last two years. Most Oilers fans were realistic because they knew playoffs are longshot because they were still rebuilding.

Most Oilers fans are basing their predictions on the fact that our core top 6 forwards have had ample playing time in the AHL and are in mid-season form and with this shortened NHL season, it's going to benefit the team.

Optimism =/= delusions

I have yet to see anything positive coming out of your posts. Or are you the type of person that loves the spotlight of being HFOil's devil's advocate?

No, Im the type of person that tells it like it is. If you cant handle/dont like it, then put me on ignore.

Couldnt find the prediction thread from last year but this will do.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1003407

Im sure I could go back through each of the two preceding seasons and find similar results.

Last edited:

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
WEST:

1. LA Kings: Shortened season means any fatigue from a prolonged postseason will be miniscule or a non-factor.
2. St. Louis: I think this year could start their dominance of that division. Really well rounded team with very little holes.
3. Vancouver: I think their window will close soon enough, and I think their decline starts now. I think Kesler will take time to get back to form.
4. San Jose: I think a prolonged break will really help some of their older players. Adding B. Stuart will help that D too.
5. Dallas: I like their top-6, and I think their D is ok.
6. Minnesota: Adding a top-10 D-man and a top-5 LW to an already decent squad? I think they make the playoffs.
7. Detroit: While veteran teams benefit with a bigger layoff, losing Lidstrom and Stuart from their D hurts. While B. Smith should be a stud, he'll still be a rookie.
8. Chicago: I think they'll do good, but I still don't trust that D.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9. Edmonton: I would love to be wrong, but I don't trust Whitney's health. The offense should be great, the D and by extension goaltending might be worrysome if the D can't seal goals against.
10. Colorado: I know they have a nice team, but with ROR potentially spending his season in Russia, it'll be a loss. I know they have Duchene and Statsny, but you don't lose last seasons top scorer and an important player on your team and not miss a beat.
11. Phoenix: Again a well coached team, but losing Whitney hurts. Their C depth is good, but their depth on the wings leaves a lot to be desired.
12. Calgary: Olli Jokinen isn't the perfect C, but losing him and essentially replacing him with an rookie who's never played in the NHL isn't the answer. While Wideman and Hudler are ok pieces, I don't think it'll be enough to counteract the decline of Kipper and Iggy.
13. Anaheim: I see mediocrity for a while for these guys.
14. Nashville: Love the franchise, but you don't lose a top-10 D-man in Suter and not miss a beat. Yes they have Weber, but they are going to have a period where they rebound. Regardless of Trotz's coaching.
15: CBJ: Yeah they might be worse than last year.

EAST:
1. Rangers: Nice team with good talent all around. And then they added Nash.
2. Boston: With Thomas gonzo, and Seguin more mature, I think they'll be good once again.
3. Washington: I think they do quite well this season.
4. Philly: I think they'll be good and possibly better than last year. I think Schenn bounces back on Philly and Bryz bounces back.
5. Pittsburgh: Probably interchangeable with Philly, but they shipped out Michalek and Staal, Sutter should be ok, but that D doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in me.
6. Ottawa: Their young guys develop further and Karlsson does his thing. They'll be good I think.
7. Carolina: Staal-Staal down the middle should do some damage. Props to them for making the move.
8. Tampa Bay: I like their moves, rest should be good for St. Louis.
--------------------------------
9. Florida
10. Winnipeg
11. Buffalo
12. New Jersey
13. Montreal
14. Toronto
15. Isles

Last edited:

Matt Ryan

Falcons Rise Up
Oct 4, 2011
San Francisco
No, Im the type of person that tells it like it is. If you cant handle/dont like it, then put me on ignore.

Couldnt find the prediction thread from last year but this will do.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1003407

Im sure I could go back through each of the two preceding seasons and find similar results.

This is my take:

To you, and others, the Oilers are kind of like that girlfriend that used to be so perfect, so exuberant and full of passion. But alas, she's changed. After delivering years of drunken happiness and bliss, your lives are reduced to mediocrity and eventual disarray. Now, she's a *****y pain in the rear that has just let you down too many times. You can't bear to be optimistic because your devotion has been betrayed too many times. You can't leave, for the alternatives would leave you empty and you know they too will soon let you down. So you're stuck toiling in limbo...

EDIT: :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
I tend to be a half glass full type person, although there is still a good chance the Oilers will not be in the post-season.

I want to see progress, that is all. A 10th place finish at this point of the rebuild beats another 30th place finish.

If this team continues to toil in the cellar, I would be very concerned and I will start to question Tambellini's ability to rebuild.

There HAS to be progress this year.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
This is my take:

To you, and others, the Oilers are kind of like that girlfriend that used to be so perfect, so exuberant and full of passion. But alas, she's changed. After delivering years of drunken happiness and bliss, your lives are reduced to mediocrity and eventual disarray. Now, she's a *****y pain in the rear that has just let you down too many times. You can't bear to be optimistic because your devotion has been betrayed too many times. You can't leave, for the alternatives would leave you empty and you know they too will soon let you down. So you're stuck toiling in limbo...

Or you know, it could simply be a case of having a different opinion. Shocking I know.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
WEST:
EAST:
1. Rangers: Nice team with good talent all around. And then they added Nash.
2. Boston: With Thomas gonzo, and Seguin more mature, I think they'll be good once again.
3. Philly: I think they'll be good and possibly better than last year. I think Schenn bounces back on Philly and Bryz bounces back.
4. Pittsburgh: Probably interchangeable with Philly, but they shipped out Michalek and Staal, Sutter should be ok, but that D doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in me.
5. Washington: I think they do quite well this season.
6. Ottawa: Their young guys develop further and Karlsson does his thing. They'll be good I think.
7. Carolina: Staal-Staal down the middle should do some damage. Props to them for making the move.
8. Tampa Bay: I like their moves, rest should be good for St. Louis.

Philly and NYR are in the same division and thus cannot be seeded 1 and 3

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
West:

1.Chicago
2. L.A.
3. Minny
4. St.louis
5. Dallas
6. Vancouver
7. Anaheim
8. Edmonton
9. San Jose
10. Colorado
11. Detroit
12. Phoenix
13. Nashville
14. Calgary
15. Columbus

East:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Boston
3. Washington
4. NY Rangers
5. Philly
6. Carolina
7. Buffalo
8. Winnipeg
9. Tampa Bay
10. Ottawa
11. Florida
12. Montreal
13. New Jersey
14. Toronto
15. NY Islanders

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I guess this should serve as a general warning. People have different opinions. Just because they are not the same as your doesn't mean they are delusional or whatever. Lets keep personal attacks away from this thread and continue in a civil manner. Cheers.

zaidc

Calgary sucks
Nov 26, 2010
Edmonton
WEST

1. Los Angeles
2. St. Louis
3. Vancouver
4. Chicago
5. San Jose
6. Dallas
7. Nashville
8. Edmonton
9. Minnesota
10. Detroit
11. Colorado
12. Calgary
13. Phoenix
14. Anaheim
15. Columbus

EAST

1. Pittsburgh
2. Boston
3. Rangers
4. Washington
5. Philadelphia
6. Carolina
7. Ottawa
8. Buffalo
9. Florida
10. Tampa Bay
11. Winnipeg
12. Islanders
13. Toronto
14. NJ
15. Montreal

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
I can't see Nashville over Phoenix - in the battle of two extremely well coached teams, Tippet's team just has a little more firepower. Methinks. In my humble opinion.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
WEST

1. Chicago
2. Vancouver
3. San Jose
4. St.Louis
5. LA
6. Detroit
7. Nashville
8. Edmonton
------------------
9. Phoenix
10. Minnesota
11. Colorado
12. Dallas
13. Anaheim
14. Calgary
15. Columbus

EAST

1. Rangers
2. Boston
3. Washington - but behind both Pittsburgh and Philly in points.
4. Pittsburgh
5. Philadelphia
6. Tampa Bay
7. Ottawa
8. Carolina
---------------
9. Montreal
10. Buffalo
11. Toronto
12. New Jersey
13. Florida
14. Winnipeg
15. Islanders

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
West
St. Louis
San Jose
Vancouver
Chicago
LA
Detroit
Edmonton
Colorado

Nashville
Dallas
Phoenix
Minnesota
Anaheim
Calgary
Columbus

East
Philadelphia
Boston
Washington
NYR
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Carolina
Toronto

Florida
Winnipeg
Tampa Bay
New Jersey
Ottawa
NYI
Montreal

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I'll play

EAST

1.Pittsburgh
2. Carolina
3. Boston
4. Philly
5. NY Rangers
6. Ottawa
7. Washington
8. Buffalo
--------------------------
9. Tampa Bay
10. Florida
11. Toronto
12. Montreal
13. New Jersey :(
14. Winnipeg
15, NY Islanders

WEST

1. Detroit
2. Vancouver
3. San Jose
4. St. Louis
5. Chicago
6. Minnesota
7. Los Angeles
8. Nashville
-------------------------
9. Colorado
10. Edmonton
11. Anaheim
12. Dallas
13. Calgary
14. Columbus
15. Phoenix

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Detroit first in the west and Carolina second in the east?

Care to explain?

Carolina plays in the crap division and added Staal, maybe Ward gets hot? That's all it would take is a hot goalie for a stretch to make a huge difference in a short season.

Every one always seems to count out Detroit and thinks "this will be the year they fall". Never seems to happen.

That would be my guess anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad