Predict the Central Division standings

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Haven't seen one for this division yet, if it exists already just merge this one I guess.

Very tough division, with some surprises next season (I think)

1 - Colorado
I realize they're limping into next season with Landeskog already gone for the year and uncertainty surrounding Nichushkin, but on paper I've still gotta say they're the favourites to repeat as the top seed. Best two players in the division are in this lineup.

2 - Dallas
Hot on their heels once again should be Dallas. I think they were one of the healthiest (or luckiest) teams in the league last season so if that changes they could certainly drop, but they've got enough strength up front, on the back end and in goal to at least keep pace with the Avs.

3 - Minnesota
I'm interested in seeing how they rebound from last season's disappointing playoff exit. Gustavsson should finally see a full season as the top dog in goal for Minny, and they've got a solid enough lineup to at least make the playoffs comfortably.

4 - Nashville
Couple new faces in the lineup for Nashville, some young guns like Evangelista coming up, and if Saros keeps playing like an absolute workhorse the Preds' playoff drought should be short-lived.

5 - St. Louis
A lot went wrong for the Blues last season but I think they turn it around and become a playoff threat again.

6 - Arizona
....I know, right? Gotta have one wildcard in there, so why not the Coyotes to shake things up. I think there's a chance things start trending up for the desert dogs next season, and they have a chance to leapfrog a few teams trending the other way. Maybe Cooley ends up being the catalyst for that.

7 - Winnipeg
Speaking of trending the other way, I think Winnipeg's in trouble. Maybe this is Rick Bowness's last kick at the can, seems like there's enough frustration in Winnipeg that it could be a long season for the Jets - one that may very well see them on the outside looking in, come playoff time.

8 - Chicago
The Connor Bedard show kicks off in Chicago next season, but aside from that it'll be a long year for the Blackhawks

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
1 - Colorado
I realize they're limping into next season with Landeskog already gone for the year and uncertainty surrounding Nichushkin, but on paper I've still gotta say they're the favourites to repeat as the top seed. Best two players in the division are in this lineup.

There is no uncertainty surrounding Nichushkin. GM already said he's good to start the year at training camp. And you know the NHL, any questionable actions will be promptly swept under the rug.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
1. Colorado
2. Dallas.
Gap
3-5 STL, MIN, NSH
6-8 AZ, WPG, CHI.

OP I like your list but I'd flip STL and NSH.

They had an awful year, but I think a lot of it was a terrible defensive scheme, which they are changing. New coaches.

Hofer to backup Binnington instead of freaking Greiss.

They had like 4 D men underperform. The D core overall is pretty poor but can't go anywhere but up.

The forward group seems to be very underrated on this website. It's very good top to bottom. And a couple of prospects like Bolduc and Dean who could potentially step in if needed.

I think they're a lock for a wildcard at least. Might even challenge for 3rd in the division.

Colorado and Dallas are clearly the top 2 teams.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Dallas
Colorado
Minnesota

Winnipeg
St. Louis
Nashville

Arizona
Chicago

I think Winnipeg is a bit of a wildcard. I think probably have the fourth best team but who knows how their season will go. I don’t think it’s going to go well though, but I think they still have a decent roster. You could argue it’s better than Minnesota but Minnesota just finds a way.

I think Central is the worst division overall. I could see both wildcards going to the pacific. The bottom 5 teams aren’t great.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
There is no uncertainty surrounding Nichushkin. GM already said he's good to start the year at training camp. And you know the NHL, any questionable actions will be promptly swept under the rug.

Well, maybe it's just being kept to the Avs' local market but I feel like that whole story left a lot unanswered. :laugh:

But if Nuke is already cleared to return and 100% for next season, then it only confirms my belief that the Avs should still be the team to beat next season in the Central.

Winnipeg second last? They improved the roster this year and should be better. An extreme cold spell in finishing and goaltending was responsible for their second half. I have them easily in the top 3. That is if Helle and Scheifele are on the opening day roster.

That last part is pretty crucial, wouldn't you agree?

Sure, if they can get Scheifele and Hellebuyck to buy in, plus maybe some durability from Ehlers, then sure they can be more of a threat. Maybe that PLD trade was a blessing in disguise for them as well; it'll be interesting to see how Vilardi performs.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well, maybe it's just being kept to the Avs' local market but I feel like that whole story left a lot unanswered. :laugh:

But if Nuke is already cleared to return and 100% for next season, then it only confirms my belief that the Avs should still be the team to beat next season in the Central.

Sure, if they can get Scheifele and Hellebuyck to buy in, plus maybe some durability from Ehlers, then sure they can be more of a threat. Maybe that PLD trade was a blessing in disguise for them as well; it'll be interesting to see how Vilardi performs.

Why wouldn't either buy in? It's a contract year and it's in their best interest to have a damn good year to maximize their last big deals.

As of now both are on the roster and will be until they are not.

Reactions: hn777

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario

When has buy-in ever been a problem with Hellebuyck? The guy has never shown anything but a will to win. And with LB instead of Dave f***ing Rittich, that's good for a few more wins, too. While the Jets likely don't repeat their scorching hot start to the season, I genuinely don't understand how people have them as bottom feeders here, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Why wouldn't either buy in? It's a contract year and it's in their best interest to have a damn good year to maximize their last big deals.

As of now both are on the roster and will be until they are not.
When has buy-in ever been a problem with Hellebuyck? The guy has never shown anything but a will to win. And with LB instead of Dave f***ing Rittich, that's good for a few more wins, too. While the Jets likely don't repeat their scorching hot start to the season, I genuinely don't understand how people have them as bottom feeders here, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Last I heard, there were multiple reports out there indicating that he's done with Winnipeg after next season. That could all be smoke and mirrors, who knows.

If the Jets end up first or second by season's end I'll come back to this thread and own it, that's fine. I just don't think they will.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Last I heard, there were multiple reports out there indicating that he's done with Winnipeg after next season. That could all be smoke and mirrors, who knows.

If the Jets end up first or second by season's end I'll come back to this thread and own it, that's fine. I just don't think they will.
I think, you answered your own question. What Hellebuyck has said, is he wants to play for a contender. Not sure if Winnipeg are contenders the next few seasons, but this actually implies buy-in. The guy plays hard to win with his team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

There are pending FA on every team that don't plan on resigning with their current team. Should all these teams not have the same question marks.?

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
1. Dallas
2. Colorado
-----
3. Minnesota
------
4. Winnipeg
5. Nashville
6. Arizona
7. St. Louis
8. Chicago

Still no Landeskog hurts Colorado. If Deboer can be told by someone to stop putting Suter with Heiskanen I think they take the division. Minnesota is next basically by default because the rest are just not good hockey teams. Winnipeg has a lot of uncertainty around the roster still, Nashville had some big performances down the stretch that I'm not sure are great bets to replicate over a full season. St. Louis fans are lying to themselves by scapegoating defensive coaching last season; the top 4 is awful and the forwards are worse than going into last season. Arizona is Arizona, Cooley will probably help a bit, but he's going to need some time to really be a night in night out difference maker in this league. Chicago is still in tank mode even with Bedard & Hall. Maybe the top team of this group squeaks into the playoffs but it's mostly a reflection of how bad this division is.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
There are pending FA on every team that don't plan on resigning with their current team. Should all these teams not have the same question marks.?

Oh I don't doubt it; such is the nature of the free agent market, and we're not in any of their heads or even locker rooms for that matter. Maybe Auston Matthews announces next week that he's not re-signing with Toronto, and their season outlook suddenly gets a lot worse. Maybe Stamkos does the same in Tampa. Neither has happened yet though.

But surely you'd admit that Winnipeg's seen this happen a couple times in recent years now, with pending FAs like PLD or Hellebuyck having their intentions go public. Why do you think that is? :dunno:

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO

The NHL has already come out and said officially that there will be no further investigation or disciplinary action regarding the Nichushkin thing.

It's definitely been a very eyebrow raising situation, but my instinct at least is that it wasn't as sinister as some were suggesting. Pointless to speculate now.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I think it's Colorado, Dallas, and Minnesota until proven otherwise. I've gone into the last bazillion seasons saying man, that Wild roster is going to be bottom 10. Think I'd bet on them making the playoffs even if they used Montreal or San Jose's roster lol

Reactions: hn777

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
A couple of hot takes

I see Arizona finishing in the top 4, and the Peg finishing last place. A very mild take, I don’t see a reason to change the top 3 teams from last season.

Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Arizona
Nashville
STL
Chicago
Winnipeg

• Haha
Reactions: hn777 and MardyBum

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Oh I don't doubt it; such is the nature of the free agent market, and we're not in any of their heads or even locker rooms for that matter. Maybe Auston Matthews announces next week that he's not re-signing with Toronto, and their season outlook suddenly gets a lot worse. Maybe Stamkos does the same in Tampa. Neither has happened yet though.

But surely you'd admit that Winnipeg's seen this happen a couple times in recent years now, with pending FAs like PLD or Hellebuyck having their intentions go public. Why do you think that is? :dunno:

I personally don't really care what is out in the public. They will show up and play. Both are 30 and looking at a market that doesn't pay older players as much as it used to. They will both be highly motivated to perform and get their last big pay day.

Both invested signifcant years in this market. If they now want out to finish their careers elsewhere I have no issues with that.

Mine:

Dallas
Colorado
Winnipeg
St. Louis
Minnesota
Nashville
Arizona
Chicago

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Sasquatches
Twinkly things
Planes
Minnystonka
Drunken hillibillies
Blooos that are nervous
Hacks

Maroon 5 suitwearers

Last edited by a moderator:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
1 - Colorado, but not sure they really used the LTIR from Landy wisely with RyJo
2 - Dallas, think they have enough to offset decline in Benn
3 - Minny, did very well to offset the $14 mill dead cap. No Dumba this season. Not sure what they are adding to make them better
4 - St. Louis, not sure what they are adding to make them better? $15mill cap from ROR and Tank were already allocated to Thomas and Kyrou already.
5 - Winnipeg, but they need to resolve Scheiff and Helly before TDL. So, they can fall.
6 - Nashville, need an infusion offensively. Not sure where that is coming from
7 - Arizona -
8 - Chicago

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
1 - Colorado, but not sure they really used the LTIR from Landy wisely with RyJo
2 - Dallas, think they have enough to offset decline in Benn
3 - Minny, did very well to offset the $14 mill dead cap. No Dumba this season. Not sure what they are adding to make them better
4 - St. Louis, not sure what they are adding to make them better? $15mill cap from ROR and Tank were already allocated to Thomas and Kyrou already.
5 - Winnipeg, but they need to resolve Scheiff and Helly before TDL. So, they can fall.
6 - Nashville, need an infusion offensively. Not sure where that is coming from
7 - Arizona -
8 - Chicago

Benn did have 78 points last season, not that I see repeating that this year, but he was really good last year

It's Seguin who's declining

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Benn did have 78 points last season, not that I see repeating that this year, but he was really good last year

It's Seguin who's declining
Never know what you get with Benn. 6 years into this contract, it's been:
79 in 82
53 in 78
39 in 69
35 in 52
46 in 82
78 in 82.

So far years 1 and 6 have been good. Pacing to be around a high 40's to low 50 point guy in the other 4 years over a full NHL season.

At 34, no clue what he's going to give you. Seguin through 4 years on his deal:
50 in 69
2 in 3
49 in 81
50 in 76

Similar pace to Benn in Benn's down years. Seguin had that hip surgery. Doesn't seem to have returned to form since having surgery. His production in the 6 years since arriving from Boston and before starting his 8 year contract has been between 72-84 points a year.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
1. Dallas - 111 Points
2. Winnipeg - 103 Points
3. Colorado - 101 Points
4. Minnesota - 94 Points(WC2)
5. Arizona - 91 Points
6. St. Louis - 83 Points
7. Nashville - 78 Points
8. Chicago - 67 Points

Winnipeg gets off to another hot start, and end up keeping Hellybuck the team together and going for it with this group one more time. Colorado takes a fairly substantial step backwards as the lack of forward depth gets further exposed this year and Georgiev regresses towards middle of the pack goaltending. Minnesota continues its recipe of mediocrity by squeaking into the final playoff spot over Vancouver, followed by a quick 1st round exit at the hands of the LA Kings(This years Western Conference regular season champs). Arizona has a decent bounce back season and prove to be a fun team to watch, but ultimately come up just short on a playoff berth. The rest are just regular season fodder for the playoff teams to beat up a few times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad