Predict the 2nd Quarter of the Season

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
After tonight's game in Sunrise, the CBJ will have ~25% of the season complete. Interestingly enough, the exact halfway point of the season (game 41) comes on Friday January 13 (yes, Friday the 13th), at the middle of a B2B at Tampa and the next night at Florida.

After tonight, the Jackets will have either 25,26, or 27 points - all well above what I was hoping for as a start to this season. 27 points would be 1.35 ppg, and 25 would be 1.25 ppg. So, take a look at the schedule (a lot of road games) and make your prediction of how the next 21 will go. How many points will the Columbus Blue Jackets have after game 41?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Because I' a half empty guy and because I'm usually wrong about these things I voted #3. Although I figured 5o which is only 1 shy of #2. :laugh:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'll continue to be a pessimist until they prove me wrong. This is the 2nd best start in team history through 19 games since 2010-11. That team finished last in the Central Division.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not voting because I don't know the span of games over which this is specified, but I expect a modest regression in points. The play might stay the same though, staying at a good but not great level. I just think the points thus far are a bit high compared to the team's quality of play (i.e. we've had a bit of luck).

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm not voting because I don't know the span of games over which this is specified, but I expect a modest regression in points. The play might stay the same though, staying at a good but not great level. I just think the points thus far are a bit high compared to the team's quality of play (i.e. we've had a bit of luck).

Well, you know the span of games upcoming is more favorable, if it's quality of opposition that's holding you back

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
If a quarter is defined as 20 or 21 games, then the only option is 46 points or fewer - the maximum points to game is 40-42 points during the 2nd quarter.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
Congratulations Tulipansuaruanchishutinckzky!!

You are probably the only person who had any idea that the Columbus Blue Jackets would go en fuego during the 2nd quarter. You are the only person who selected them to finish the 2nd quarter with more than 55 points.

Maybe that Leading Guy isn't just hyperbole and BS. Congrats again.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

You are probably the only person who had any idea that the Columbus Blue Jackets would go en fuego during the 2nd quarter. You are the only person who selected them to finish the 2nd quarter with more than 55 points.

Tulip also picked the team to win the Stanley Cup. Also stated that Saad and Nutivaara are the only players on our roster that have come out of professional leagues as champions. And seems to think Jesse Puljujarvi will be a complete bust. I also have been interested in and yet to find any information on this unnamed person(s) called the Leading One on several internet searches.

Tulip has insight on some things I would never be aware of and also may end up being right on a couple of things that I don't agree with or misunderstand. I just wonder sometimes when I read Tulips posts what constitutes actual fact from fiction.

And I'm sure that Tulip will come up with some witty response that I will try to but won't be able to understand.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Tulip also picked the team to win the Stanley Cup. Also stated that Saad and Nutivaara are the only players on our roster that have come out of professional leagues as champions. And seems to think Jesse Puljujarvi will be a complete bust. I also have been interested in and yet to find any information on this unnamed person(s) called the Leading One on several internet searches.

Tulip has insight on some things I would never be aware of and also may end up being right on a couple of things that I don't agree with or misunderstand. I just wonder sometimes when I read Tulips posts what constitutes actual fact from fiction.

And I'm sure that Tulip will come up with some witty response that I will try to but won't be able to understand.

Even the blind geezer, if he tries enough doors, will find a few saunas. ;)

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I also have been interested in and yet to find any information on this unnamed person(s) called the Leading One on several internet searches.

Would you be interested in learning more about the Leading One? Nuori Voima, the Young Power magazine recently featured a two part story on Johtava who brought us a new way of looking into ice hockey.

https://nuorivoima.com/2016/02/02/latkajatkan-ja-johtavan-analyytikon-jaakobinpaini/

Hockey Geezer's and the Leading analyst's wrestle of Jacob:

"The question ain't only of coach's point of view but also the play's viewpoint. I do not want to only challenge the watcher or the reader, I also challenge the coaches.

How I approach the game adds to coaches, spectators and readers understanding of this phenomenom. It creates tools to approach the game more versatilely than before. Those who have taken my challenge now have began to get more out of ice hockey. But, thank God, there are also those who mock me as playbook-Petteri. The enemies are as important as the sect that has began to follow me.

To see the work of their hands requires a top expert, someone who understands the play in a deep manner. This shakes hands with my literature view. I do not think postmodernly that texts are just masses of text that someone just manages to put in order. I think as my emeritus professor Pertti Karkama: "Work commends its author". In ice hockey the same goes: play commends its author.

You think of ice hockey as author based?​

Viewpoint is absolute author driven. All which the play reveals equals to the coach's ice hockey understanding and playbook in the widest possible meaning. Coach is the actual subject of the play.
"

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Yeah congrats Tulip.

But I don't see the leading one and Torts being on the same page. Isn't Torts all vertical (zero D to D passes), and the leading one the total opposite?

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
But I don't see the leading one and Torts being on the same page. Isn't Torts all vertical (zero D to D passes), and the leading one the total opposite?

Johtava entertained the thought of writing the playbook of vertical ice hockey earlier this year. Before it was a task to be left for the Enemy. To the question itself: meidän peli for example is not vertical-orientated because Finland will not have the advantage in individuals but in unity hence not relying on individual talent.

If we took a look into the scriptures:

https://blog.paf.com/petterisihvonen/2017/01/09/kalpa-on-kuin-ampiaisparvi/

Kalpa Is Like a Swarm of Wasps

"Kalpa is in hard blow. As I once earlier said it will be that quick vertical play's conventions and therefore play theory, in Finnish ice hockey, will be executed and written by the masters of puck control ice hockey. The problem of winning the space can only be understood deeply if you fully understand the problematics of making space.

Pekka Virta first showed how with underdog players you can and should play puck control ice hockey. Virta's magnum opus was, and will remain in Finnish ice hockey history, KalPa, which with surplus players took puck control playing to the ultimate toggle. It is a minor detail, although an important detail, that KalPa reached bronze position in the SM-liiga some time ago.

When KalPa plays, it is like a wasp swarm departing from their nest to attack.

KalPa plays all around the rink and all time the wasp hockey. Consept is: Kalpa's wasp hockey. Every individual player is like an angry wasp and as a fivesome the players are like a gang of aggressive wasps. About only in the beginning of a delayed start KalPa's wasp hockey experiences a brieft moment of calm. Only in the prefigurations of trap the quintet calms down but only for a moment. Otherwise in attacking and in defending KalPa's wasp hockey is both by individuals, and especially by individuals, I would underline, and by quintet energetic fire and sliver.

In the following words: each of Kalpa's players aims for maximal speed of play, effort in duels and into ceaseless play situation and reaction readiness.

Now I reach perhaps my most important point. Yes, in SM-liiga and nowadays Liiga we have seen these KalPa-like efforts to play high intensity ice hockey but always it has melt away in one way or the other. But why KalPa seems to be the first one to succeed in its wasp ice hockey? Now the reader better vigilant and observant. I will tell.

When you look at Kalpa, watch precisely. Watch in how short skating voyages each player of the quintet weathers a single change! If KalPa's defender's or center's or winger's skating distance is compared for example with HIFK's defender's or centre's or winger's skating trip, the difference is totally apparent.

You cannot play ice hockey for 60 minutes or for many games in a week or even that much play-off series with high intensity if the players' skating distances are too long.

Modern day KalPa plays with very dense quintet in which "umbilical cords" between the players are record-breaking short. Players mostly stay in their own lanes which on its own keeps the skating trips down.

In the nucleus of all is short passing game. And passing generally.

Team of an organization without long tradition of quality passing cannot play wasp ice hockey hockey."

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
I wonder if that Leading Dude and Phil Jackson ever sat in the sauna and talked zen and triangle offense??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad