Line Combos: Predict Next Year's Lineup

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Will the team be gutted? If so, what'll it look like?

JVR - Kadri - ?

? - Nylander - ?

Komarov - Holland - Panik

Leivo - Carrick - Clarkson

Rielly - Polak

Gardiner - Robidas

Percy - Granberg

Bernier

?

If this management group is stupid enough to rush Nylander to the NHL, that will be a very very bad omen for this rebuild.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Harty is top-6 player for a contender in the KHL. I'd say he is either a bust or top-6 player in the NHL. He is exactly that big mean winger the Leafs lack, he is serious dude, not little boy like Frattin or Kozun.

I don't see why he can't be a bottom 6 player, at least to start. Panik has been a very good bottom 6 guy, even though he should probably be in top 6. He'll have every opportunity to step up in the lineup, but he'd have to compete first. Leivo will also be there among a few others. Leivo and Hartikainen competing with one another for the top 6 spots would actually be really good in order to get the most out of each. Nobody should be handed anything; that's how you get Edmonton. I have no issues having Leivo and Hartikainen going at it for the 2LW spot, and the winner getting the spot.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
JVR - Kadri - ______
Leivo - Nylander - _______
______ - Carrick - Clarkson

Rielly - Polak
Gardiner - Robidas
Percy - Granberg

Bernier
Reimer

One of those blanks can be filled by Brown in they feel he's ready, probably with Leivo, and Nylander. I'd imagine they'd sign someone for the other 2, probabl someone on D as well, especially if Polak or Robidas get traded as well.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
JVR-Kadri-???
Leivo-Holland-Panik
Komarov-???-Clarkson
???-Carrick-???

Rielly-Polak
Gardiner-Robidas
Percy-Granberg
MacWilliam

Bernier
???

Question marks can either be filled by guys like Devane, McKegg, Hartikainen, other prospects, UFA's, etc. It's unknown whether or not there may be more or less holes than this though. Who knows if Kadri and Gardiner or even Holland, Polak, Robidas and those players are going to be around come next year. I want Brown and Nylander to stay one more year in the AHL and get call up time though. Let them come up to fight for spots when Johnson is around.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
No way to predict.

If we trade Kessel,Phaneuff,Franson,Bozak,Santorelli and Winnik it wont be for just draft picks,it is said To. seeks guys in the 22 to 25 year range. This wont be a conventional rebuild.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Based on how he has played this year and how he is progressing, how is putting him in the lineup next year rushing him?

Have you watched him in the American League? Physically he is simply not ready to play with men. There's absolutely no reason why the Leafs shouldn't let him play in the American League, add some weight to his frame and learn the defensive game (especially if the Leafs want to use him at centre.)

one77

Dec 22, 2013
JVR - McDavid - Nylander
Brown - Kadri - ROR
Lupul - Holland - Komarov
Panik - Gauthier - Clarkson

Rielly - Jones
Percy - Theodore
Loov - Polak

Bernier
Reimer

:naughty::naughty:

TorNsh*

Trades:
- Kessel for Jones @ Off-season
- Franson for 1st round pick (20th) @ TD
- Gardiner + Holland for ROR @ Off-season
- Santorelli for 2nd round pick @ TD
- Reimer for 3rd round pick @ Draft

Draft:
- Strome (4th overall)
- Roy (20th overall)
- Dunn (2nd round)
- BPA rest of the way

2015 ROSTER

JVR - Strome - Nylander
Kadri - O'Reilly - _____
Komarov - Bozak - Leivo
Devane - Carrick - Hartikainen

Rielly - Jones
Phaneuf - Polak
Percy - Granberg

Bernier
Bibeau

Prospects:
Dylan Strome
William Nylander
Jeremy Roy
Stuart Percy
Vince Dunn
Connor Brown
Frederik Gauthier
Matt Finn
Andreas Johnson
Rinat Valiev

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Trades:
- Gardiner + Holland for ROR @ Off-season

Draft:
- Roy (20th overall)

That trade is absolutely horrible for the Leafs, unless you're an idiot who thinks Gardiner has negative value. ROR will have one year left on his contract, and then he's UFA. Giving up what we gave up for Bolland (2nd and 2 4ths) would be an overpayment, considering that we're not trying to compete. Giving up a young top 4 D and a 3C for a rental would be bad on a hole new level.

Roy won't be around at the 20th pick. He'll be somewhere around 15 according to most rankings.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
How can you really predict the lines for next year, when there is so much of uncertainity

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
I don't see why he can't be a bottom 6 player, at least to start. Panik has been a very good bottom 6 guy, even though he should probably be in top 6. He'll have every opportunity to step up in the lineup, but he'd have to compete first. Leivo will also be there among a few others. Leivo and Hartikainen competing with one another for the top 6 spots would actually be really good in order to get the most out of each. Nobody should be handed anything; that's how you get Edmonton. I have no issues having Leivo and Hartikainen going at it for the 2LW spot, and the winner getting the spot.

Hartikainen won't sign with the Leafs for less than 2 M and the Leafs (in theory) won't give him 2 M for playing on the 4th line. Harty is defensively responsible winger, good hitter and a leader. How many of those are currently playing for the Leafs? He has a lot of responsibilities with Salavat now (PP, PK, cycling the puck, going to the net, closing games). He has grown up. Leivo is still a project, a kid. In worst case scenario Harty will be Winnik type of player for the Leafs. Winnik has no business playing in the top-6 on a good team. But he is there because the Leafs are not a good team. Same story here.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
JVR - Kadri - Brown

Nylander - Eichel - Kessel

Leipsic - Carrick - Hartikainen

Rielly - New

Gardiner - New

Percy - Granberg

Trade Phaneyf + our two first round picks for the first or second round pick and then draft Eichel.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
Hopefully something like this in the next few years:

"Ritchie"-McDavid-Brown
Johnson-"Lindholm"-Nylander
Kadri-Gauthier-Leivo
Leipsic-Carrick-"McCarron"

Rielly-"Gudbranson"
Gardiner-"Carlo"
Finn-"Petrovic"
Percy

Bernier
Bibeau

Phaneuf <-> Ritchie, 2nd/3rd
Lupul <-> McCarron
Kessel <-> Gudbranson, 1st, Petrovic
VanRiemsdyk, + <-> Lindholm, +

Pick McDavid and Carlo in the first round, win cups.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010

"Ritchie"-McDavid-Brown
Kadri-Gauthier-Leivo

Rielly-"Gudbranson"
Gardiner-"Carlo"
Finn-"Petrovic"
Percy

Bernier
Bibeau

Lupul <-> McCarron

Lupul for McCarron... would be nice. But I don't think so.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Absolutely loving that Phaneuf for Ritchie idea for trade.

We should do that. We always trade with Anaheim. Do it!

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

"Ritchie"-McDavid-Brown
Kadri-Gauthier-Leivo

Rielly-"Gudbranson"
Gardiner-"Carlo"
Finn-"Petrovic"
Percy

Bernier
Bibeau

Lupul <-> McCarron

I really like this one. But I'd prefer moving Kadri to second C. Don't think we'll get Lindholm, at least I don't want to do that at the cost of Van Riemsdyk (can be used for someone else). And next draft we'll be bad so we could be in the running for Chy (elite defence man potential) and or Sean Day, which would be better alongside McDavid provided we get him. That top line would be dirty though. Brown and McDavid reunited and I like Ritchie a lot. Johnson, Nylander and Kadri would be a ridiculously fast line and has lots of scoring potential too. And that bottom 6 looks really good as two way players as well. I wouldn't mind if the rebuild in a few years ends up like this. Almost completely ideal IMO.

Gardiner Expressway

Dec 1, 2011
This is extremely useless without knowing what will come back from the Kessel/Phaneuf/Bozak/Lupul deals because it won't be just picks/prospects.

Also, lol at people putting Nylander/Brown right into top 6 roles. Let the kids earn it first, this isn't Edmonton.

Atm, probably something like:

JVR-Kadri-?
Clarkson-Holland-Panik
Komarov-Nylander-Leivo/Brown
Leipsic-Carrick-Leivo/Brown
Hartikainen

Gardiner-?
Rielly-Robidas
Granberg-Percy

... Auston Matthews here we come.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
JVR - McDavid - Nylander
Brown - Kadri - ROR
Lupul - Holland - Komarov
Panik - Gauthier - Clarkson

Rielly - Jones
Percy - Theodore
Loov - Polak

Bernier
Reimer

:naughty::naughty:

Yea that would be nice. I think if were going to bring back a real player it should be ROR. Maybe Phaneuf and Bozak can get it done.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
A lot of people are choosing not to post rosters because of the "uncertainty" of certain roster players at the moment and that is completely understandable.

So I will post my roster of the team as if all the rumors around players actually happen.

JVR-ROR-Lupul
Leivo-Kadri-Panik
Komarov-McEichel-Nylander
Hartikainen-M Richards-Holland
Clarkson

Rielly-Jones
Percy-Polak
Robidas-Granberg

Bernier
Bibeau

Players like Bozak and Reimer have been looked at as returning draft picks where players like Kessel and Phaneuf will probably get roster players as well as picks.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
JVR - McDavid - Brown
Leivo - Kadri - Nylander
Komarov - Holland - Leipsic
Clarkson - Carrick - Panik

Rielly - Polak
Gardiner - Robidas
Percy - Phaneuf cap dump

Bernier
Reimer

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
I think that if we are going to go full rebuild, we still need to keep some guys around so our young'uns can still develop a proper offensive game. Clearly we can still lose with the players we are using, so why not keep some of them for help?

Lupul - Richards - Clarkson --> The crap cap hit line!
Komarov- Kadri - Panik --> Young and physical line
UFA - Holland - Hartikainen --> The prove we can play line. Find a quality UFA trying to regain his game (a la Santorelli).
UFA - Carrick - UFA --> standard 4th line. Find UFAs we can flip later for more picks.

Reilly - UFA --> Not sure who we could target to play here, but a grizzly vet would be nice.
Gardiner - Polak
Percy - Granberg
MacWilliams

Bernier
Budaj / Vet backup

We can likely bring in 3-4 UFAs on 1-year prove it deals or just bring up the Marlies players to see what they can do.
Call-ups: Kozun, McKegg, Devane are the only ones I feel comfortable bringing up.

Next in line: Leivo, Nylander

Basically we should trade the best players we have for the top value and keep our ****** ones for cap hit and tankability!

JVR, Bozak, Kessel, Phaneuf all shipped out for best offers.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
Admittady I don't know a whole lot about the upcoming draftees but Strome is a big guy, 6'2, he has the size for the NHL and is a smart player as well. I feel like it's possible he could end up on the opening day roster.

Someone like Marner though, I don't know, he's much smaller, probably wouldn't be ready.

Plus I don't think he has anything to prove going back to the OHL, Already 100pt player, great two way game, just needs to get adjusted to NHL, 3rd liner on a bad team would help him more then hurt him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad