Predict how many first round draft picks Golden Knights will have.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The Jackets are believed to be trading this year’s first-round draft pick (No. 24 overall) and a prospect (not Pierre-Luc Dubois or Sonny Milano) to Vegas for assurances that the Golden Knights will select either left wing Matt Calvert, center William Karlsson or defenseman Ryan Murray.

that is the rumour out there

other rumours have the kings offering a first to take Brown

so how many deals for first round picks do you Golden Knights will end up with

rumoured running count

#6 vegas
#15 NYI
#24 BJS

Last edited:

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
It's very cool for fans of the new team that they will immediately have a really good pool of prospects to be excited about instead of having to wait 3-4 years for it to happen naturally through their own picks.

I voted 3 although I'm thinking 3 plus their own so I may have done that wrong.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's very cool for fans of the new team that they will immediately have a really good pool of prospects to be excited about instead of having to wait 3-4 years for it to happen naturally through their own picks.

I voted 3 although I'm thinking 3 plus their own so I may have done that wrong.

I say 4 --I think LAK and Vegas have a deal in place for their first as well and I can see someone else biting the bullit

it is a bad draft year where most picks after 15 will be projects

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I say 4 --I think LAK and Vegas have a deal in place for their first as well and I can see someone else biting the bullit

it is a bad draft year where most picks after 15 will be projects

The main difference in this year is the guys at the top. You don't have that one or two players with enormous gap between them and the rest of the first round.

Having a few round one picks this year will be fine. The Devils gotta be thinking it's too bad they won the lottery in a year like this. But at least they get first choice of a bunch of options who are graded pretty closely, so that's something.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
11th + for Brown. That's tempting. There's going to be a potential top 6 forward / top 4 D in that range.

I'm not a huge fan, but I'd take Tippett at 11 assuming our 6th pick is for a center.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Sounds like LA will be keeping its pick. Guess the Kings inquired about Vegas taking Gaborik but didn't even bring up Brown.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm curious as to how this will unfold. I wonder if it would be beneficial for both clubs to spread out the picks.

Like if Vegas could potentially get 4 first rounders, why all in 2017? I wonder if we see a club option over the next three years for them to pick when to give up the first. Vegas benefits in not having all of their picks in one draft and spreading out their assets. Thoughts?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Lots of good players teams may want to protect, and this draft is considered weak so I went with 5. I'm probably wrong.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
on the oiler board we kicked the idea around of our #22 if you guys take both Fayne and Pouliot? one drafted one traded

Wouldn't shock me, weak draft or not if I were the Vegas GM I'd take as many bad shortish term contacts as possible as long as high picks were attached. Plus they'll need all the organization depth they can get.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Gonna go high....not counting their own picks, they end up with 5 surplus 1st rounds if you include all the upcoming drafts.

They are already at 2 that we know of, so that means between side deals we haven't found out about and flipping players, they will need only 3 more. That seems a bit ambitious, but plausible to me.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
that is the rumour out there

other rumours have the kings offering a first to take Brown

so how many deals for first round picks do you Golden Knights will end up with

rumoured running count

#6 vegas
#15 NYI
#24 BJS

I'm thinking just those three, but they'll get a sweet package from the Ducks. Maybe a first for next year's draft?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I was thinking they'd like to get as many of these picks up front for this year's draft as possible. However, Brian Blessing and Pierre McGuire brought up a good point on their show this afternoon when they said they don't want all these guys coming up for money at the same time when it's time to re-sign them.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see a lot of these picks GMGM is supposed to get spread out over this and the next couple of drafts. I don't know that it's my optimal situation, but it makes a lot of sense payroll wise to spread these picks out.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Besides the top-3/top-6 already owned by LV:
Two or Three in 2017.
At least two in 2018.
Maybe one in 2019.

If a team is among the best in the league (Wild for example), McPhee could ask for a pick in 2019.
At that time, Koivu, Staal, Neidereiter, Granlund and Zucher could all be gone.
At least some of them will be gone because there is not enough SCap.
Staal, Neidereiter, Granlund, Dumba and Zucher will need new contracts with a lot more money. They do not have enough SCap to keep all these players.

If they give a pick to keep Dumba and Staal, they will need to give at least a first round. They have none in 2017 so it will be either 2018 or 2019.
McPhee would probably want a first round in 2019 hoping Min drops.

Same with Anaheim.

Same applies with every team that are top-10.

We could easily see those first round picks being spread over the next three draft.

At least 5 first round picks besides their own picks.
Two or three for this year so the players would be ready to come in the team in 2020 or 2021.

That would mean 8 first round picks over the next three years including 3 of them in top-3/top-6.

LV will look at the teams and try to guess what year is best to get 1st round pick from top teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad