Pre-Game Talk: Predict All the Canucks Trades before the Deadline

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Let's have some fun, lets predict all the moves the Canucks will make before the trade deadline (March 03)

- Canucks Trade Luke Schenn for a 2023 2nd round draft pick + a 2024 3rd Round Draft Pick (Or mid tier D Prospect)

- Canucks Trade Brock Boeser to Minnesota for Jordan Greenway and a 2nd Round Draft Pick.

Canucks Can't fix the Defense this Deadline without the Horvat trade (Baring a Demko bombshell)
With these trades the Canucks get some Draft picks, Save about 3m a Season with Greenway as well.

I think that's it, There are Rumors on Demko, Would be shocking if it happens, also I think Myers + Garland is a Off-Season Move.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Let's have some fun, lets predict all the moves the Canucks will make before the trade deadline (March 03)

- Canucks Trade Luke Schenn for a 2023 2nd round draft pick + a 2024 3rd Round Draft Pick (Or mid tier D Prospect)

- Canucks Trade Brock Boeser to Minnesota for Jordan Greenway and a 2nd Round Draft Pick.

Canucks Can't fix the Defense this Deadline without the Horvat trade (Baring a Demko bombshell)
With these trades the Canucks get some Draft picks, Save about 3m a Season with Greenway as well.

I think that's it, There are Rumors on Demko, Would be shocking if it happens, also I think Myers + Garland is a Off-Season Move.
Canucks move Höglander for a D prospect of slightly lesser status.

Canucks use Garland or Boeser on the PP1 and move him for not much at all.

Canucks trade Jack Rathbone for a 3rd / 4th rounder.

Bonus trade! Canucks move Demko for a futures package at the Draft.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office

Schenn to Tampa for 2024 2nd round pick

Dermott to Ottawa for 2024 4th round pick

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Brock Boeser (retaining 1.4m) to NJD for Holtz, Jonsson (expiring cap dump) & a 3rd round pick (for retaining)

Schenn to Tampa for Foote & 4th (dunno how good Foote is but would reunite him with his Dad)

Demko to Buffalo for UPL, phillys 2nd round pick & Ryan Johnson (Buffalo may view Demko as a guy who is a bit more proven than UPL & pushes them to be contenders quicker)

Bonus

Myers to Ottawa for Zaitsev + 2nd round pick (sure Z sucks but the key is getting another top pick in the 2nd round)

Garland to Boston if they have the cap space. Not familiar with their system so not sure whats reasonable value coming back.

Sign Jarry to a deal similar to what Demko got as UFA

Reactions: geebaan and pgj98m3

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Keep in mind these are just predictions on what the team would do, not what I'd actually do..

These are the two guys I think will actually be moved out:

-Luke Schenn to Boston for 2024 3rd & 2023 5th
-Brock Boeser (1.65 retained) to Minnesota for Jordan Greenway, a 2024 2nd round pick, Simon Johansson

I would bet against him being moved, but if he is..

-Conor Garland to New Jersey for Yegor Sharangovich, & Andreas Johnsson

I don't think Demko will be traded. I think it makes more sense for him to come back and regain some form first. Plus, if the plan is to attempt to sign Jarry then you will have a better idea on if you can actually get him if you wait until the summer.

But if he is traded, here's what I've got:

-Demko to LA for Helge Grans, Cal Petersen, Alex Turcotte, 2023 conditional 1st (protected),, 2025 2nd round pick

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Schenn for a 2nd + late pick or equivalent young player

I’m 50/50 on this but maybe Garland for a shorter term contract that ends a year or two sooner, with the returning player being less likely to rebound than Garland is(why else would the other team make the trade?)

I think they’ll get greedy with Boeser by refusing to retain enough and get left holding the bag

Myers I don’t see moved until the off-season

I think the Demko rumours are overblown unless Demko himself has requested a trade, and even in that case I don’t see a trade happening until the summer.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
conor garland for a bag of pucks or a change of scenery player coming back
brock boeser for a long shot prospect and a mid round pick with either retention or a salary back
demko for a decent haul from the sabres
myers for a late 1st
schenn for a 2nd and a defence prospect

Reactions: theguardianII

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Schenn + 3rd for a 1st, to a smart team like Carolina or Boston or Tampa
- Buys Allvin goodwill amongst casuals who just see "another 1st!!!" not realizing that the difference between picks 30-32 and ~100-105 is really not that meaningful.

Boeser (15% retained) + NYR 4th to a team like Chicago for a player like Jujhar Khaira (bottom of the lineup, expiring contract)
- Chicago gets a reclamation project for free + an extra draft pick. No playoff team is taking on Boeser's contract, retained or not. I think Anaheim could be an option as well, but if Chicago moves Toews and Kane, they almost need to add some salary coming back.

Stillman to Washington for a 5th
- There's always a surprise trade and I think it will be something like this. Was looking at Washington's CapFriendly and they shockingly have every one of their defenseman expiring after this season. Assuming they are playoff bound, they will want to add "toughness" and getting a defenseman with an extra year is probably a bonus

I don't think Garland happens until the draft, as I think with his possession numbers + ES scoring from last year, he'll be more coveted by analytics oriented teams that are playoff bound but can't commit to that dollar + term now. Same for Demko. I think Myers likely stays for the rest of his contract, but possibly is moved after his signing bonus is paid.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Some pretty well thought out posts.

The Minny trade for Greenway has been out there awhile but Minny is a capped team so some retention could be needed. Greenway has been a healthy scratch. Dumba has also been a trade rumour but I don't think they will sacrifice D depth.

Schenn is such a good cap hit and addition he could be used as a sweetener in any trade.

Burroughs as well.

Demko has been an issue for awhile, behind the scene's. The LA rumour has existed since summer so they may want to do a deal. I think the hold up has been they want Goalie Peterson to be in the trade. That may change soon though but the return to Vancouver will be substantial.

Garland has been linked to the Boston area and they are refreshing their core very soon.

Schenn could go anywhere for at least a 2nd rnd pick, but more if packaged
Burroughs would get a 3rd/4th as a depth dman.
Boeser would be a reputation trade but might need retention
Garland is pretty much the same as Boeser.
Demko, "Bubble Demko" and the term "Demko'd"
Miller, surprising there are many older playoff teams that could use a cantankerous 90 point player close to his prime to extend their window and 8 mil would fit in their cap next year. Hopefully if the Canucks retain for the remainder of his current contract the trigger could be pulled around the TDL.

Packages are possible.

One thing that all this year's chaos did was get the attention of eastern GMs to look at the team.

I think maybe 3 more trades by the TDL.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I really hope they don't sell low on Garland.

He is riding a really low on-ice-shooting% this year and was our best 5on5 scorer last year.

Be patient. Let him rebuild his value so you don't end up buying him out or sending a sweetener in a trade or retaining.
Yup. Enough of this buy high sell low shit Benning was on. He's shown a decent body of work to indicate that he can be a very effective player. Down years happen.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Schenn + 3rd for a 1st, to a smart team like Carolina or Boston or Tampa
- Buys Allvin goodwill amongst casuals who just see "another 1st!!!" not realizing that the difference between picks 30-32 and ~100-105 is really not that meaningful.

Boeser (15% retained) + NYR 4th to a team like Chicago for a player like Jujhar Khaira (bottom of the lineup, expiring contract)
- Chicago gets a reclamation project for free + an extra draft pick. No playoff team is taking on Boeser's contract, retained or not. I think Anaheim could be an option as well, but if Chicago moves Toews and Kane, they almost need to add some salary coming back.

Stillman to Washington for a 5th
- There's always a surprise trade and I think it will be something like this. Was looking at Washington's CapFriendly and they shockingly have every one of their defenseman expiring after this season. Assuming they are playoff bound, they will want to add "toughness" and getting a defenseman with an extra year is probably a bonus

I don't think Garland happens until the draft, as I think with his possession numbers + ES scoring from last year, he'll be more coveted by analytics oriented teams that are playoff bound but can't commit to that dollar + term now. Same for Demko. I think Myers likely stays for the rest of his contract, but possibly is moved after his signing bonus is paid.
I'd rather attempt to take on a bad contract alongside trading Schenn to see if you can up the value that way.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Schenn to TB for Foote or Jack Thompson. They still talk about how important he was in the room and they need an upgrade on the third pairing. Might get Foote or a prospect like Jack Thompson. To me Boston doesn't make a lot of sense as I think they are happy with their top 6. Bringing him in as a 7th won't generate a return more than a very late second IMO. If they were to move the first, as late as it is, it'll be for something that has more impact for them.

Boeser to Minnesota for Greenway + 2nd. I won't be enamored with this trade. I think Greenway will be in the doghouse before the ink is dry on the trade sheet. But he has a more manageable contract and just maybe the coaching staff can get through to him. The getting through to him I feel is the type of "gamble" this management team will make.

Garland to Nashville for a 2nd. Perhaps I'm going off the board here but he seems like the type of player Nashville would bring in. It's just a hunch.

Demko to LA IN THE SUMMER. As far as I know he hasn't even joined practice despite being several weeks from when he was supposed to be back in game action. I don't think this is the window that he can be moved. I think LA has a major need for steadier goaltending as they ascend and Demko could be of interest. I don't think they make a goaltending move this deadline as I think they will be content to be a bubble team this season still. But in the summer I think this will be a major hole they address.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Schenn: Any of the contending teams. High end return is a second, multiple 3rds, or a B prospect.

Boeser: I think that they will run out of time to properly structure a deal and revisit that before the draft. His salary is easier to fit in during the offseason when teams have a lot more room opened up.

Demko: Even if the rumours of his unhappiness are true, he'd have to come back and play lights out to justify a team acquiring him and the Canucks trading him. With that tight of a timeline, would need to be another offseason move.

Burroughs: One of those small deals that quietly happens on deadline day for a 7th. Also wouldn't be surprised if he stays and is kept around in the same role for next season.

Garland: Like Boeser and Demko, off-season move. With Tocchet as his coach, I think it's increasingly unlikely he gets moved.

Myers: Post-signing bonus off-season trade.

I think there's a very good chance the Canucks will place Pearson and Mikheyev on LTIR and act as trade brokers and/or take on a bad contract for compensation. It's not sexy and doesn't generate any capspace for next season but, essentially, just buys some draft picks and prospects.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Demko to LA for Kupari, Grans, Cal Peterson (21% retained), LA 3rd, PIT 3rd

Probably not fair value, but I was half asleep listening to Canucks podcasts last night and this trade popped into my head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad