GDT: Predators of Nashville at Senators of Ottawa - 7PM - TVAS/SN - Beatdown at the Grand Kanata Opry

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I would not mind seeing some of the higher priced help sitting out a game (healthy scratch) to get the message across that they need to play better. Sometimes certain players need shock treatment to learn that lackadaisical lazy soft play is not acceptable for the salary they are being paid.
Makes sense. Just don't bench Kelly. I called him playing all 82 and I'm more than halfway to getting all those hoorah's from y'all!

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
I think it’s a matter of time before Norris starts to contribute stats, he missed so much with repeated injuries to his shoulder. That one-timer is missing atm.
He's been going through a down patch. His assist tonight was only his 4th point in 13 games.
But in his 1st 26 games he had 20 points which works out to a P/GP of 0.77.
Not bad, actually pretty good considering.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Makes sense. Just don't bench Kelly. I called him playing all 82 and I'm more than halfway to getting all those hoorah's from y'all!
Kelly has always been one of the hardest working Senators, plays well on the PK, hustles and forechecks well, takes the body, plays physical, covers his man. All great attributes. His only weaknesses are shooting, puckhandling and playmaking. He is a decent 4th liner and worth what he earns. He definitely is not a problem on this team; the issues are elsewhere.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Kelly has always been one of the hardest working Senators, plays well on the PK, hustles and forechecks well, takes the body, plays physical, covers his man. All great attributes. His only weaknesses are shooting, puckhandling and playmaking. He is a decent 4th liner and worth what he earns. He definitely is not a problem on this team; the issues are elsewhere.
He takes stupid penalties too.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Agreed completely. I like him. Obviously not a high end guy, but is a good grinding line player even though he lacks size and plays pk effectively. He knows his role. Cool to hear he was a motivating voice too.

Reactions: Cosmix

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I always joke that the Sens don't deserve him but he chose Ottawa. After the game he drives right home to where he lives in the offseason. Close to friends and family and in the city he calls home while getting paid millions. Not a bad gig...
Yeah true

Just wish we’d be competing for his last few years

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Again, the issue isn't the high quality chances, Korpisalo is actually about league average on high danger chances, the issue is the softies, which our goalies give up more than I've seen in 40 years of watching hockey

It's like we have 80s standup goalies in small pads and the rest of the league is in the butterfly era.

Our goalies look small in the net, seem incapable of tracking pucks through any degree of screen and are caught sliding out of position far too often.

I guess it depends on how you define chances, the goals by McCarron and Stutzle tonight for me are great scoring chances, uncontested from the middle of the ice. For me that type of chance is given up a lot by the team, this team struggles taking away time and space in the defensive zone. It's a tough environment to get a read on a goaltender.

Reactions: LiseL

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I always knew Giroux was a good player but I guess there are little details that he is so good at that you don't get to see and appreciate until he wears your favorite teams jersey and you watch him game in and game out.
I know these guys are a bunch of yahoo's on air and little of value is said, but Justin Williams being the guy to break down G's play made me pay extra attention for some reason. Guy was so clutch and I was a big fan of his. He's right, we need more of the little things because they lead to big things.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

He's been real good since the coaching change. JM playing him a lot more than DJ did too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I guess it depends on how you define chances, the goals by McCarron and Stutzle tonight for me are great scoring chances, uncontested from the middle of the ice. For me that type of chance is given up a lot by the team, this team struggles taking away time and space in the defensive zone. It's a tough environment to get a read on a goaltender.
I mean, the issue is the soft goals, thing like Kreider floating one past our goalies, shots from 30+ feet out with no significant screen or puck movement prior to the shot. It's the deflating goals that pull the rug out from you.

We aren't uniquely bad defensively among NHL teams, we aren't even uniquely bad among past sens teams, but the goaltending has been horrendous. It makes me remember Gerber and LeClaire fondly.

Ive watched enough hockey to get when a team leaves a goalie out to dry, and to know when a goalie is letting in softies, this is definitely the latter. That doesn't mean we don't also do some of the former, but the goalies absolutely need to do better.

Reactions: heater007
Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I always knew Giroux was a good player but I guess there are little details that he is so good at that you don't get to see and appreciate until he wears your favorite teams jersey and you watch him game in and game out.

Completely. It is like Alfie in some respects, when you watch him a lot and in person, you appreciate just how good he is all over the ice. Alfie could have racked up a lot higher points total but played the total 200 foot game and made everyone playing with him better. The hall of fame call was waay overdue.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I always joke that the Sens don't deserve him but he chose Ottawa. After the game he drives right home to where he lives in the offseason. Close to friends and family and in the city he calls home while getting paid millions. Not a bad gig...

The girl you never thought you stood a chance with, but here you are waking up next to her every single day :D

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad