GDT: Predators @ Devils - 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Let's not all build straw men for each other.

I think we all agree that Jack has some big flaws in his decision making and defensive game. BUT you don't just luck into 1.2 PPG. He's #28 on NHL player scoring over the last 3 years. Incidentally, 1 point behind Quinn Hughes. He is 22 years old, and 17 years old mentally.

I don't think making a point of 3rd best player, 15th best player, etc...is fruitful or well answerable. I DO think he needs a NIco-personality upgrade, too, but I am thrilled Jack Hughes is a Devil.

Remember that putrid game against the Ducks where he missed a penalty shot. He was play with an extraordinary drive. He has it in him to take over games. Some of his passes, keeps, handles are ABSOLUTELY top 3 player in the league. He definitely does some things that I think maybe only Kucherov does.

Give him some time and remember Jack at his best.

You don’t luck into his stats but you can be put on the ice so much that you fall into secondary assists and easy passes that end up in the net. Especially on the PP.

I will remember Jack at his best.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’d love to say “I have faith in management that Jack would be shutdown at this point if they thought his offseason recovery time would bleed into the start of camp or further next season.” But I don’t think I can.

Just to be clear, I don’t think anyone is wrong to say that Jack Hughes should be shutdown (I agree).

No one is wrong for not trusting our team doctors due to past history.

But it’s not happening.

Maybe it happens when we’re mathematically eliminated but that’s more annoying/troubling to me.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
They are way better puck handlers than Jack. Jack's game is about speed, he should...use that.
i don’t think i agree with that. Jack’s agility is second only to McDavid IMO but his straight line speed is just (“just”) very good. His hands are phenomenal. And his ability to deke while moving laterally is what makes him unique.

He’s fully capable of torching goalies 1v1 but he needs a plan instead of treating it like a breakaway, which is a different situation for a goalie.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
stacking points can’t be looked at in a vacuum.

No one who scores points as much as he does is as detrimental to their team’s success as Jack.

Yes he scores points. But he gives the puck away, loses battles, makes ill advised passes, takes a lot of poor angle shots that end up in a turnover, amongst a bunch of other bad habits.

He’s also not much of room leader. As evidenced by the teams crap play in big spots. And he’s got the organization dancing on egg shells to spoon feed him unnecessary ice time and not correct his bad play.

You’re all so completely delusional defending this player
Trade him for a 60 point responsible center then and act like it’s 2007 again.

You must have conveniently forgot that he showed up in the games against the rangers in games 3-4-5-6-7 with the series hanging in the balance.

Eh Jack was already a franchise player who won playoff games last year...this year he's regressed to being Atlanta Kovalsuck version of a franchise player but there's no reason to think with health and/or a better coaching choice he won't shape up again next year.
Not to mention he’s a young 22 year old player. We sometimes forget that he’s still maturing as a player as is the rest of the team

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Trade him for a 60 point responsible center then and act like it’s 2007 again.

You must have conveniently forgot that he showed up in the games against the rangers in games 3-4-5-6-7 with the series hanging in the balance.

Not to mention he’s a young 22 year old player. We sometimes forget that he’s still maturing as a player as is the rest of the team

A 60point center? No.

A 80-90 point big body 2 way center like a Barkov?
Yes I’d consider it.

I don’t know what you think “showing up” is.
I didn’t conveniently forget. He had a few points in the series but he wasn’t why we won the series and he didn’t lead us to victory. Team defense won us that series. With some really good defending by Nico and McLeod

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
A 60point center? No.

Yes I’d consider it.

I didn’t conveniently forget. He had a few points in the series but he wasn’t why we won the series and he didn’t lead us to victory. Team defense won us that series. With some really good defending by Nico and McLeod
You complain about Jack being injured but want barkov…..makes sense.

So jacks tying goal in game 3 with the series being 2-0 is nothing ? Not to mention they won that game 2-1

Or opening up the scoring 3 minutes into game 4 to give them carried momentum from the ot win in game 3

Or the dagger assist in game 7 to officially put the rangers away

Yup some pretty weak stuff there

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
A 60point center? No.

Yes I’d consider it.

who even is this guy lol

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
You complain about Jack being injured but want barkov…..makes sense.

So jacks tying goal in game 3 with the series being 2-0 is nothing ? Not to mention they won that game 2-1

Or opening up the scoring 3 minutes into game 4 to give them carried momentum from the ot win in game 3

Or the dagger assist in game 7 to officially put the rangers away

Yup some pretty weak stuff there
I’m not complaining about Jacks injury my man. Never have and never will. I’m complaining about his play on the ice.

Dont think you’re understanding me at all

And Barkov would absolutely bowl over Jack in a 1v1 or any other setting.

Jack had some points, like our other players did, in the ranger series. Where were those daggers and carrying us to victory in the Carolina series?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Assuming it's not just a former heel's new gimmick lol
Signup date is April of 2013, though they only have 372 posts in 11 years.

I do remember that name from way back when, because I kept reading it as a ''Sansa Shark''.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Signup date is April of 2013, though they only have 372 posts in 11 years.

I do remember that name from way back when, because I kept reading it as a ''Sansa Shark''.
I do more lurking than posting. But I have no hockey fan friends let alone devils fans so I’ve branched out to posting here and there over the years. I’m not anyone like a devilsdoggo or whatever.

I firmly believe what I say and I firmly believe when I watch this team I see selfish hero disconnected pond hockey which, to me, is a direct reflection of Jack Hughes.

I’m genuinely sorry if I upset anyone but I have to believe other people are seeing what I’m seeing.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I do more lurking than posting. But I have no hockey fan friends let alone devils fans so I’ve branched out to posting here and there over the years. I’m not anyone like a devilsdoggo or whatever.

I firmly believe what I say and I firmly believe when I watch this team I see selfish hero disconnected pond hockey which, to me, is a direct reflection of Jack Hughes.

I’m genuinely sorry if I upset anyone but I have to believe other people are seeing what I’m seeing.
A lot of the star players play this type of pond hockey though. I think Jack probably gets more heat because generally he's played for losing teams since he came into the league and has only made the playoffs once.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
A 60point center? No.

Yes I’d consider it.

“80-90 point big body 2 way center like a Barkov?”

Please list all the players who fit this description and why teams are trading them.

Win #1 vs Rangers (GM3)
IMG_6067.jpeg

Win #2 vs Rangers (GM4)
IMG_6068.jpeg

You don’t see any important goals there?

We had 2 goals in the first two games and one was Jack’s penalty shot.

Goals were not coming easily but he scored in both these crucial games in MSG.

The last 2 wins were 4-0 romps, the MSG games were the incredible wins.

And we aren’t in the playoffs last year without his 99 points. And we’re in the playoffs if he was healthy.*

*That sentence of course is likely to cause you to complain about him being “injured” in your very rational, clear-eyed manner.

Reactions: Bleedred

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
A lot of the star players play this type of pond hockey though. I think Jack probably gets more heat because generally he's played for losing teams since he came into the league and has only made the playoffs once.

Sure but they have higher success rates and in Mack or McDavids case they have the bodies to recover occasionally.

majority of them also engage physically, battle on the boards, win pucks, make smart simple passes, get the puck up the ice, win faceoffs, recognize when a play isn’t there and don’t force it, etc…its not just about the give-away statistic alone

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
"Skilled, exciting young player gets criticized for not playing responsible defense" has been a thing forever in this league.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013

Please list all the players who fit this description and why teams are trading them.

Win #1 vs Rangers (GM3)
View attachment 848288

Win #2 vs Rangers (GM4)
View attachment 848289

And we aren’t in the playoffs last year without his 99 points. And we’re in the playoffs if he was healthy.*

*That sentence of course is likely to cause you to complain about him being “injured” in your very rational, clear-eyed manner.
Guess I’ll say it again 🤷‍♂️ the injuries aren’t my issue.

He had 5 points in 7 games. How exactly is that carrying a team?

Haula had more points than him. Did he carry us to victory?

He had some nice goals and assists. Great.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013

Win #1 vs Rangers (GM3)
View attachment 848288

Win #2 vs Rangers (GM4)
View attachment 848289

I also never said a team would trade us that kind of player. It’s a hypothetical.

But sweet burn my man. You really got me now 😂

Win #1 vs Rangers (GM3)
View attachment 848288

Win #2 vs Rangers (GM4)
View attachment 848289

And now you can list all the brutal giveaways this year that lost us games.

Plenty of important goals there.

He definitely carried the team to the golf course this year

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I also never said a team would trade us that kind of player. It’s a hypothetical.

But sweet burn my man. You really got me now 😂

And now you can list all the brutal giveaways this year that lost us games.

Plenty of important goals there.

He definitely carried the team to the golf course this year

I thought you wanted a Hughes trade, but if you don’t then never mind.

I definitely don’t have any interest in discussing impossible hypothetical trades.

Guess I’ll say it again 🤷‍♂️ the injuries aren’t my issue.

He had 5 points in 7 games. How exactly is that carrying a team?

Haula had more points than him. Did he carry us to victory?

He had some nice goals and assists. Great.

We don’t win those two games without him?

Again, we had real trouble scoring in the first four games. We had 3 non-empty net goals in regulation in our first two wins and Jack scored 2.

I never said Hughes had a playoff performance for the ages, but we wouldn’t have won that series without him. His offense in the first two wins was critical. Other players, like Haula, had a great series too.

Haula had a monster Game three, 3 of his 5 points were in that one.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Yo
I thought you wanted a Hughes trade, but if you don’t then never mind.

I definitely don’t have any interest in discussing impossible hypothetical trades.

We don’t win those two games without him?

Again, we had real trouble scoring, we had 3 non-empty net goals in regulation in those two wins and Jack scored 2.

I never said Hughes had a playoff performance for the ages, but we wouldn’t have won that series without him. His offense in the first two wins was critical. Other players, like Haula, had a great series too.

Haula had a monster Game three, 3 of his 5 points were in that one.
Your points here are not wrong but suggesting that Jack carried us to win that series is wrong. Team defense (in the wins) won us that series, then goaltending.

Do you admit Jack has been careless with the puck this year? Do you admit that his giveaways have cost us points?
Do you admit he needs to be more truculent and less adverse to contact? Do you admit that his “injury” should not have prevented him from playing as poorly as he has this year?

If yes to all, then we’re on the same page. I’m just more harsh with my criticisms.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
if a player can’t shoot the puck as naturally and needs to avoid contact then he inherently has fewer options. he didn’t adapt his game well enough, or recognize where he was limited. i don’t think we need to worry about that unless he continues to get injured or this lingers.

he didn’t look this careless last year

Reactions: mdj12784
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad