Prospect Info: Predators Development Camp 2014

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Does anyone have a damn box score from
The game yesterday evening???

As I said in my post earlier, Tommy Veilleux scored both goals for team Silver, and Filip Forsberg had at least one of the two for the Blue team. They didn't announce assists, as it was running time, and everyone was hurrying up to continue playing.

Here's the roster, which, again, as I said in my post earlier, does not include #50 in Blue, Kamenev.

predsdcroster.jpg

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Assists??

Edit : NVM

Don't the preds have a full time digital media reporter / journo dedicated to generating content fan engagement?

If so, no excuses that there is not a full box score from the scrimmage

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Without the rookies looks like there are three roster spots open with Fish on the IR. Have to think Hook gets one. If Beck gets a one way contract which I think Poile will do after he was forced to play in Milwaukee last season that leaves Fish's IR space for another rook. Im not sure FF will get the call a case can be made for Mosier and Sissions. I don't expect Foresberg to really be considered until next summer.

Moser rejected his contract offer by Poile. Not sure if he will be back or not. If I am not mistaken, Poile offered him the minimum which the article said he could make more back home.

Back to Forsberg, IMO his biggest issue last year was his size. I have heard/read comments from media members/bloggers saying that he's taken care of that this year.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I maybe in the minority here, but I really hate Gold on the Ceiling. Song makes no freaking sense and isn't nearly as big of a pump up as many of the other goal songs around the league. Joe Satriani's Crowd Chant, Kerncraft 400, etc.

Almost half the league uses some iteration of Gary Glitter's song, it isn't unique to us. If we are going to change the goal song, I would like something that is home-brewed and not some mediocre junk from Ohio.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Diaby really is big. If he fills out more and develops enough to play in a regular spot we could have a HUGE defensive unit.

Leipsec really is small, smaller than I thought he was.

Lyytinen got hit and knocked down. A lot. He's very skinny.

Forsberg looked good. He looks like he really wants to be here for all 82. It seemed like he really wanted to show that he was the best player out there. He looks like he got bigger than last year, I don't know whether he really is or if everyone else is just smaller.

Fiala is short, but he can move. And he had some nice passes and was able to find guys with passes through a mass of players. Almost had a really nice goal but lost the puck before he could roof it over a falling goalie.

A lot of guys looked small, but shifty. Some pretty good passing. A few good hits.

Shootout goals were nice. It's nice to actually see some guys score in the shootout!

Kamenev didn't play in the third, overtime, or shootout so I wonder if he had an early flight back to Russia? Otherwise his line of him Leipsec and Forsberg dominated play
Kamenev got hurt. I don't know what exactly happened, his back was to me but he either collided with another player or that player slashed him in the arm/hand/wrist. The play was going back up the ice and after whatever happened he skated over to the bench doubled over and dropped his stick on the ice before he even got to the bench. He sat there for a few minutes then went to the locker room with the trainers. He had his glove off and he was holding that arm tight against his body not moving it.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
"Gold on the Ceiling" has the possibility of becoming our version of "Chelsea Dagger."

Except not nearly as annoying. Maybe it's because I first noticed it with the Blackhawks but I really hate that song. Though I'm 99.9% sure that even if the Blackhawks didn't use it, I'd still hate that song.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Thanks for the updates, from someone who's several hours from Nashville and can't make it over for a scrimmage.

Any guesses on to when these guys at the camp might be ready?

Forsberg, Salomaki, Sissons - spend time in Nashville this year. I think DP is counting on FF making the team.

Diaby,Aberg, Leipsic, Alm - 2015/16 - AHL guys next year - pushes for a spot the year after.

Fiala - 16/17 - figure he goes back to SEL this year, then next year he's an AHL guy, Nashville in 16/17.

Kamenev, Girard, Kirkland, Vesey, Veilleux - long term projects.

Also, I like Gold on the Ceiling alot.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Not many elite offensive guys spend a full season in the AHL, I bet Fiala will be the same way. We're just so used to Trotz not playing young guys that we expect everyone to take 3 years to make the NHL. Most of the time, only defensemen take that long.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Not many elite offensive guys spend a full season in the AHL, I bet Fiala will be the same way. We're just so used to Trotz not playing young guys that we expect everyone to take 3 years to make the NHL. Most of the time, only defensemen take that long.

I don't really see Fiala as "elite," though I guess that all depends on how you define that particular term.

I also don't think Trotz was particularly unique in his use of young guys. A good portion of NHL players, forwards and defensemen, will take a few years to make it to the NHL level. The ones that make the jump earlier are more exceptions than the rule, though that seems like it has shifted over the last few years. Watching the Kings and Ducks all the time, for example, it's pretty rare for players to stick with the big team in their draft year for either of those franchises as well.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't really see Fiala as "elite," though I guess that all depends on how you define that particular term.

I also don't think Trotz was particularly unique in his use of young guys. A good portion of NHL players, forwards and defensemen, will take a few years to make it to the NHL level. The ones that make the jump earlier are more exceptions than the rule, though that seems like it has shifted over the last few years. Watching the Kings and Ducks all the time, for example, it's pretty rare for players to stick with the big team in their draft year for either of those franchises as well.

I'm not saying after their draft year, I just think they shouldn't have to spend a full year in the AHL to be ready.

and I guess I should have said scoring forwards.

I think LA has also struggled lately drafting scoring forwards.
They've acquired most of their scoring forwards. Kopitar is an exception, and he played 1 year after his draft year, and never played a game in the the AHL. Their other top scorers, Carter, Richards and Williams were all drafted by other teams. Ironically they were all drafted by the team I'd like to see us model ourselves after, Philly and none of them spent a single season in the AHL, only spot duties or end of the season playoffs.

Philly's record other than the 3 mentioned that are now with LA

Sean Couturier, played most of the season after being drafted did spend part of the following season (31 games) due to the lockout

James Van Riemsdyk played 7 games in the AHL after his last game his senior season in college, then, straight to the NHL.

Claude Giroux played 33 games in the NHL as a 20 year old, after juniors, then on to the NHL.

all 6 of these Philly guys were in the NHL before their 21st birthday, none of them spent a full season in the AHL.

the Ducks?

Ryan Getzlaf, returned to juniors after his draft year then, played 17 games in the AHL before making it to the NHL at 20.

Corey Perry, returned to juniors for 2 seasons, then played 19 games in the AHL making the NHL at 20

Bobby Ryan, returned to juniors, was actually up and down between the AHL and NHL until he turned 21, after that was a full time NHLer at 21.

Now let's look at our top prospects.

Forsberg, played 47 games in the AHL after being drafted, however he did come over a year younger than most prospects.

Beck is 23, it's now or never
Watson is 22, now or never
Aberg is 20
Vesey is 20
Girard is 20

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Not a fan of Gold on the Ceiling but it's better than the other. I could see as a chant fans screaming "GOLD!" When gold is sung. Now, if they could do a proper mash-up of 'HANDS UP!" and "Gold on the Ceiling." You could have an interesting combo where fans scream Gold as they reach up to the rafters.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Not a fan of Gold on the Ceiling but it's better than the other. I could see as a chant fans screaming "GOLD!" When gold is sung. Now, if they could do a proper mash-up of 'HANDS UP!" and "Gold on the Ceiling." You could have an interesting combo where fans scream Gold as they reach up to the rafters.

Here's Section303's take on a new chant.

Instead of taunting the opponent, what if, after the goal song concludes, the 17,000+ inside Bridgestone Arena praised the goal scorer? Instead of “Hey… YOU SUCK!†it would change to a call-and-response “I… I believe… I believe in… I believe in Seth Jones! I believe in Seth Jones! I believe in Seth Jones!â€

This would kill two birds with one stone. It would allow for the new goal song while still providing a fun post-goal chant and it would finally give that small sect of people who complain about the word “sucks†something to get behind and support.

http://section303.com/from-gary-glitter-to-the-black-keys-a-goal-song-evolution-52874

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'm not saying after their draft year, I just think they shouldn't have to spend a full year in the AHL to be ready.

and I guess I should have said scoring forwards.

I think LA has also struggled lately drafting scoring forwards.
They've acquired most of their scoring forwards. Kopitar is an exception, and he played 1 year after his draft year, and never played a game in the the AHL. Their other top scorers, Carter, Richards and Williams were all drafted by other teams. Ironically they were all drafted by the team I'd like to see us model ourselves after, Philly and none of them spent a single season in the AHL, only spot duties or end of the season playoffs.

Philly's record other than the 3 mentioned that are now with LA

Sean Couturier, played most of the season after being drafted did spend part of the following season (31 games) due to the lockout

James Van Riemsdyk played 7 games in the AHL after his last game his senior season in college, then, straight to the NHL.

Claude Giroux played 33 games in the NHL as a 20 year old, after juniors, then on to the NHL.

all 6 of these Philly guys were in the NHL before their 21st birthday, none of them spent a full season in the AHL.

the Ducks?

Ryan Getzlaf, returned to juniors after his draft year then, played 17 games in the AHL before making it to the NHL at 20.

Corey Perry, returned to juniors for 2 seasons, then played 19 games in the AHL making the NHL at 20

Bobby Ryan, returned to juniors, was actually up and down between the AHL and NHL until he turned 21, after that was a full time NHLer at 21.

Now let's look at our top prospects.

Forsberg, played 47 games in the AHL after being drafted, however he did come over a year younger than most prospects.

Beck is 23, it's now or never
Watson is 22, now or never
Aberg is 20
Vesey is 20
Girard is 20

You are missing the obvious here. You mention a lot of players who are accustomed to playing in NA. KF is not.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Here's Section303's take on a new chant.

So they want to steal from Soccer chants, which were stolen from Navy...

Sorry but hate is a pivotal part of sport. Part of the reason why I quit playing. When I played basketball I lead my team in open field tackles....

That's not good, but hey the other kids couldn't shoot free throws worth a damn. :laugh:

If I had a family that liked team sports I would have been a more violent mix of Ray Emery and Billy Smith.

But back to the topic at hand. You need fans to have some hate. Philly has it's rep as an inhospitable place because of the fans. Frankly, if your chants are in line with the above it will give the aire of CT Little League parents who want to give every player a trophy. 'Oh, that's so nice, you scored a goal. I'm so proud of you.' Too soft.

I want teams to come to Nashville saying to themselves, 'Oh ****, we have to go to Nashville.'

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

Sorry but hate is a pivotal part of sport. Part of the reason why I quit playing. When I played basketball I lead my team in open field tackles....

That's not good, but hey the other kids couldn't shoot free throws worth a damn. :laugh:

If I had a family that liked team sports I would have been a more violent mix of Ray Emery and Billy Smith.

But back to the topic at hand. You need fans to have some hate. Philly has it's rep as an inhospitable place because of the fans. Frankly, if your chants are in line with the above it will give the aire of CT Little League parents who want to give every player a trophy. 'Oh, that's so nice, you scored a goal. I'm so proud of you.' Too soft.

I want teams to come to Nashville saying to themselves, 'Oh ****, we have to go to Nashville.'

Completely agree with the above. Miami Ohio is one of the most inhospitable arenas in the NCAA to play in because of their vocal and... uncivilized spectators. It makes games great fun :D

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007

agreed . ILIILI is old, but it's ours and the casual fan knows it. I wish the PFO would quit trying to remake us into some clone hockey team.

Gold on the Ceiling is horrid. It is too SLOW. pick a song that is fast and jumpy and rock/roll, don't choose a song just because it has the dam word "gold" in it for branding purposes.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
You are missing the obvious here. You mention a lot of players who are accustomed to playing in NA. KF is not.

You're probably correct, but I'm trying to find and example of someone that needed a full year of AHL to get used to NHL size rinks.

Radulov did not.
Forsberg did spend most of the season in the AHL but then again, he's that rare Euro player that come to North America as an 18 year old but did not play juniors. So him spending a year in the AHL as an 19 year old made sense.

Nicklas Backstrom, didn't spend a minute in the AHL.
David Krejci, did spend 69 games in the AHL
Gabriel Landeskog didn't play in the AHL
Jakub Voracek didn't play in the AHL

That's about all I could find in the NHL in the 10-50 of scorers not from the US.

Did I miss one?

I'm hoping Jarnkrok becomes one of those exceptions, and there are exceptions.

Regardless I stand behind my, good scoring line prospects don't need a full season of AHL hockey, in fact most don't spend more 70 games ever in the the AHL.

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
agreed . ILIILI is old, but it's ours and the casual fan knows it. I wish the PFO would quit trying to remake us into some clone hockey team.

Gold on the Ceiling is horrid. It is too SLOW. pick a song that is fast and jumpy and rock/roll, don't choose a song just because it has the dam word "gold" in it for branding purposes.

This

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad