Claimed off Waivers: Predators claim Brad Hunt

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I actually thought Nashville might be a good spot for him, seeing as how their bottom-pairing is a tire fire. He certainly capable of offense...but he's one of the worst players i've ever seen in his own end - no exaggeration. He made Kevin Shattenkirk, who has his own issues, look like a shut-down guy by comparison.

Hunt has NHL-offensive instincts, and is awesome for the AHL...but unless he's paired with a Vlasic or Hjalmarsson this pairing is going to be ravaged by the other team. Play him on the power-play and give him offensive-zone starts. If he's in his own end AT ALL, you're playing with fire.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I actually thought Nashville might be a good spot for him, seeing as how their bottom-pairing is a tire fire. He certainly capable of offense...but he's one of the worst players i've ever seen in his own end - no exaggeration. He made Kevin Shattenkirk, who has his own issues, look like a shut-down guy by comparison.

Hunt has NHL-offensive instincts, and is awesome for the AHL...but unless he's paired with a Vlasic or Hjalmarsson this pairing is going to be ravaged by the other team. Play him on the power-play and give him offensive-zone starts. If he's in his own end AT ALL, you're playing with fire.

It's not really been a tire fire, just constant shuffling. We haven't had a 100% healthy defensive core since game #1.

Beninnola

Mar 29, 2012
I thought Brad Hunt did a decent job in St. Louis, gotta be a little disappointed in the Blues management for losing Hunt and Rattie for nothing, for the fans of St. Louis.

As a Blues fan who speaks only for himself I think Rattie and Hunt being claimed is freaking awesome.

Neither were NHL caliber - they both have substantial weaknesses which greatly outweigh their strengths. Rattie is already on a 3 game press box streak because he can't really win board battles and doesn't skate well enough to make up for it with transition game and Hunt will join him in Nashville because he is a d-man who doesn't do defense and coaches will quickly get tired of having to shift **** around every O/D zone face-off.

Now, instead of STL being forced to hold those contracts and give those guys AHL ice, STL actually gets free cap space.

Neither player was going to be in the clubs long term future.

Best of luck to Rattie and Hunt. Thank you Carolina and Nashville.

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
If Brad Hunt could skate he would probably carve himself an NHL career as a bottom pairing/PP defenseman but hit total lack of foot speed makes him an absolute liability in his own end.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Hunt 100% has NHL caliber offensive instincts. He is really fun to watch in the O-zone and will absolutely put up points if given enough TOI. The issue, that others have already stated, is that he is a complete liability in the D-zone. His offense is not enough to offset his defensive deficiencies. All in all Hunt is not an NHL level defenseman IMO.

Seems like a great guy tho, wish him all the best (except against the Blues).

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I actually really liked the look of him when he was on his Oilers stint. Honestly thought he'd be a lot more... The kid definitely has potential, so I like this move for the Preds. He oddly impressed me.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I actually really liked the look of him when he was on his Oilers stint. Honestly thought he'd be a lot more... The kid definitely has potential, so I like this move for the Preds. He oddly impressed me.

The kid is already 28.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Big shot, good puck skills but that's it. Bad skater, bad hockey sense anywhere but the offensive zone.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He's got a BIG shot and pretty good offensive instincts. It's a shame he didn't make it to the AHL because he really would've helped the Wolves on their playoff push/run.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Yeah if you can limit him to PP and Offensive zone starts you can squeak by a little with him. He gets pushed around in the Dzone a lot, but he is really fun to watch and will make a few plays, He started off really hot on the Blues and then fizzled but I wish him all the best and hope he can find a home, I do not see any of our top 7 that I would sit him for though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Only been playing in the league for 4 years though. He's almost graduated from 'kid' status for me to 'man', despite being as old as I am..

Weird? Probably.

Sure, but lets not act like he has potential, he is what he is.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Why would it have? What made it not count?

I didn't mean it conditionally.
The league rules say there if there is a waiver claim, there is monetary compensation attached to it.

So as Nashville made a claim, then they would have been required (ie. were required) to supply compensation.

Never questioned the grammar of it myself. That's what, the past perfect tense I used?
I can see the confusion though!

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I didn't mean it conditionally.
The league rules say there if there is a waiver claim, there is monetary compensation attached to it.

So as Nashville made a claim, then they would have been required (ie. were required) to supply compensation.

Never questioned the grammar of it myself. That's what, the past perfect tense I used?
I can see the confusion though!

Pretty sure it's present perfect conditional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad