Pre-WWII - Cutoff for eligibility? (See table in OP) (Multiple choice answer)

Which cutoff for eligibility do you prefer?

• Born through 1912

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Born through 1914

• Born through 1915

• Total voters

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Here's a table of most prominent players and whether they'd be IN or OUT depending which cutoff year we choose:

SeibertININININININ
S.HoweININININININ
JacksonININININININ
SchrinerININININININ
T.BlakeOUTINININININ
CowleyOUTINININININ
Hextall SrOUTOUTININININ
DrillonOUTOUTININININ
BrodaOUTOUTOUTINININ
P.WatsonOUTOUTOUTINININ
ColvilleOUTOUTOUTINININ
BrimsekOUTOUTOUTOUTININ
AppsOUTOUTOUTOUTININ
BauerOUTOUTOUTOUTININ
D.BentleyOUTOUTOUTOUTOUTIN
DumartOUTOUTOUTOUTOUTIN
R.ConacherOUTOUTOUTOUTOUTIN
PrattOUTOUTOUTOUTOUTIN
J.CrawfordOUTOUTOUTOUTOUTIN

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
This kind of insane quibbling and ad hoc condition is not what i wanted to run.

I posted an idea of a draft i wanted to run, and pm'd 30+ previous GMs about joining.

Zero O6 era minutes played in the NHL. The cut-off was the end of WWII in 1945. Few players added much to their legacy in the war years given the discounted lower level of play.

A simple, elegant, apt cutoff point.

Now you guys have to check a player's birth year before considering him for selection. Who cares about birth year? The focus on age is absurd.

Once a draft has started, i deliver.
I was willing to deliver the idea i had.
You want to change it and do something else?

Carry on without me.
I knew someone would step up to fill the gap if my absence was clear.

Have fun guys.
See you in ATD 2024.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

I posted an idea of a draft i wanted to run, and pm'd 30+ previous GMs about joining.

Zero O6 era minutes played in the NHL. The cut-off was the end of WWII in 1945. Few players added much to their legacy in the war years given the discounted lower level of play.

Now you guys have to check a player's birth year before considering him for selection. Who cares about birth year? The focus on age is absurd.

Carry on without me.

Have fun guys.
See you in ATD 2024.

It's you who ran away at the first sign of struggle.

I was more than happy to have you run it, it was your draft.

By the way your cutoff point was NOT elegant. Excluding Dit Clapper and Earl Seibert for pre-WWII? Insane.

You should still sign up and play.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
And no one is doubting that you can deliver. That was not the point. The point was that your draft idea was great, but your cutoff was counterintuitive and excluded players that shouldn't have been excluded. So we talked about this problem, and you decided to quit because of this. It's your call, nothing is stopping you from coming back.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Zero O6 era minutes played in the NHL. The cut-off was the end of WWII in 1945.

And this is completely contradictory.

-----------------------------------------------

My vote is for "as late as possible" and is not meant to advocate specifically for 1916. It can be attributed to whichever latest year could use the vote.

(votes like this where you must choose one specific number are never clean. I remember having a vote in a keeper league once about the number of keepers we'd have, and 15 & 17 both got nearly half the vote. 15 won so we went with 15. But, like, what about 16? It was only one away from what almost everyone wanted!

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
And this is completely contradictory.

-----------------------------------------------

My vote is for "as late as possible" and is not meant to advocate specifically for 1916. It can be attributed to whichever latest year could use the vote.

(votes like this where you must choose one specific number are never clean. I remember having a vote in a keeper league once about the number of keepers we'd have, and 15 & 17 both got nearly half the vote. 15 won so we went with 15. But, like, what about 16? It was only one away from what almost everyone wanted!

Yeah, we can cumulate all the "earlier" and "later" votes for the two biggest challengers.

Last edited:

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I voted for 1911, but I'll participate regardless of the chosen date. I would propose that if we end up rolling with anything later than, say, 1913 we re-brand this thing as pre-O6, as that would really be what we are working with. Pre-WWII, to me, means before the start, not before the end, of WWII. But that is largely semantics.

Carry on without me.

Have fun guys.
See you in ATD 2024.
You are absolutely free to run the draft that you want. The downside is that you won't get many (any?) participants. As others have said, the end of WWII was not an "elegant" cutoff point, as there were players who clearly should be considered eligible who would not have been under the original guidance.

Debate and the fine-tuning of rules is a good thing.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
My highly-scientific method of voting was to look down that list of players until I saw somebody I associate with O6 hockey - for me that was Turk Broda. So, 1913 is it for me. Of course, I'm fine with whatever the cutoff is.

Pretty much why I voted for 1913 as well.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The eligibility of coaches is surprisingly simple, since all coaches were stable in the gray area window of WWII.

Hap Day started coaching Toronto in 1941 = OUT

Paul Thompson coached Chicago from 1939 to 1945 = OUT

Frank Boucher started coaching the Rangers in 1940 = OUT

Art Ross coached Boston from the mid-1920s to mid-1940s = IN

Dick Irvin coached a long ass time both pre and post WWII, and won a SC in 1932 = IN

Jack Adams coached Detroit from the late-1920s to the late-1940s = IN

Anyone disagree with that?

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
We could use July 28, 1914 as the cutoff date, that's when World War I started. ;)

1699316382002.png

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Here's a table of most prominent players and whether they'd be IN or OUT depending which cutoff year we choose:

SeibertININININININ
S.HoweININININININ
JacksonININININININ
SchrinerININININININ
T.BlakeOUTINININININ
CowleyOUTINININININ
Hextall SrOUTOUTININININ
DrillonOUTOUTININININ
BrodaOUTOUTOUTINININ
P.WatsonOUTOUTOUTINININ
ColvilleOUTOUTOUTINININ
BrimsekOUTOUTOUTOUTININ
AppsOUTOUTOUTOUTININ
BauerOUTOUTOUTOUTININ
D.BentleyOUTOUTOUTOUTOUTIN
DumartOUTOUTOUTOUTOUTIN
R.ConacherOUTOUTOUTOUTOUTIN
PrattOUTOUTOUTOUTOUTIN
J.CrawfordOUTOUTOUTOUTOUTIN
we all voted in this thread and this chart clearly shows that by the standard we selected, Brimsek would not be eligible for this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad