NFL GDT: Pre-season Week 1

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is kind of all that needs to be said about how much you should invest in preseason, at least this week

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is kind of all that needs to be said about how much you should invest in preseason, at least this week

Back over a decade ago, the standard operating procedure for Pre-season was:

Game 1 - starters for 1 series
Game 2 - starters for Quarter 1
Game 3 - starters into Q3 to get them used to coming out after half time
Game 4 - all starters rest as the real season is the following week.

Now, with it down to 3 games, the final game is the same. Starters will not play for the most part.
Game 2 is when you would see the most starters if they do play at all during the pre-season.

some teams if they have a new HC or new personnel at key roles, like QB may want to have live action. Aside from that, won't see many starters especially from the newer and younger HC today. McVay's stance has changed that narrative of needing reps in pre-season.

Sep 19, 2008
I'll be watching cause the WR battle in Green Bay is interesting and I want to see how Love does.
I wonder who replaces Adams production. I don't think you can just bring someone up like Marquec Valdez Standing or whatever his name is and have him put up those #'s

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wonder who replaces Adams production. I don't think you can just bring someone up like Marquec Valdez Standing or whatever his name is and have him put up those #'s

MVS is in KC.

It's going to be by committee.. we haven't seen Christian Watson play yet because of a minor knee surgery. But Romeo Doubs has been turning heads every day of camp, so it looks like he's going to get a chance.

Lazard is WR1, Cobb is the slot receiver, they'll give Amari Rodgers another shot. Sammy Watkins looks like a 3/4.

They'll be running a lot of 2RB sets to have Dillon & Jones on the field as much as possible.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hurts 6 for 6, touchdown to Goedert and had a running td called back. Terrific start for the eagles

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

This is not good, Wilson stares down receiver, never sees the linebacker, and anyone who knows the eagles history with linebackers this is pretty damning.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
And with that I expect to see little if any starting QB play during the pre-season. You just can't have your starting QB go down in a meaningless slop of something pretending to be a pro football game.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I never want to see the Bills play anyone worth anything but they always do one of the games. In 2020 there was no preseason and Allen came out on absolute fire to start the year. Last year they made him play one and the offense had its worst game of the year in the opener. There’s no proof playing guys does anything to benefit anyone. He’s not going to learn anything taking snaps with no preparation done on either side. Like…what is Von Miller getting out of doing one snap in a meaningless game?

If you have a starting job locked up I would never put you on the field. If you are trying to earn a starting job you can play a little. If you are trying to make the roster…good news…you’re playing a lot.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For some reason there's reporters already circulating a tweet from a twitter doctor that Wilson has a torn ACL. I'm not saying he doesn't, because it seems like he could, but the evaluations aren't even done yet, that's pretty irresponsible

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
No one should speculate until they know. Non contact injuries are the worst though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I never want to see the Bills play anyone worth anything but they always do one of the games. In 2020 there was no preseason and Allen came out on absolute fire to start the year. Last year they made him play one and the offense had its worst game of the year in the opener. There’s no proof playing guys does anything to benefit anyone. He’s not going to learn anything taking snaps with no preparation done on either side. Like…what is Von Miller getting out of doing one snap in a meaningless game?

If you have a starting job locked up I would never put you on the field. If you are trying to earn a starting job you can play a little. If you are trying to make the roster…good news…you’re playing a lot.
Some guys want to go through the gameday process and preparation. That, and/or coaches haven't liked what they've seen in practice

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Why was Zach Wilson playing beyond a first series to begin with? I thought they would pull him after their first series and that’s it.

No reason to risk your players being injured

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
That looks like an ACL. As a Jets fan, our fanbase expects the worst so we're never disappointed which is a sad statement in itself. What a gut punch this week has been between Becton and Wilson.

Why was Zach Wilson playing beyond a first series to begin with? I thought they would pull him after their first series and that’s it.

No reason to risk your players being injured

Saleh galaxy brained it after the pick, probably didn't want the negative headlines of his night ending on the pick. But I agree 100%, Wilson played hero ball after his pick and shattered his ACL in all likelihood from it.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
That looks like an ACL. As a Jets fan, our fanbase expects the worst so we're never disappointed which is a sad statement in itself. What a gut punch this week has been between Becton and Wilson.

Saleh galaxy brained it after the pick, probably didn't want the negative headlines of his night ending on the pick. But I agree 100%, Wilson played hero ball after his pick and shattered his ACL in all likelihood from it.

Looking at the replay, Wilson should’ve just slid for the down or run out of bounds.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

I am no expert but believe that a) you can semi-diagnose a torn ACL without the MRI and b) if they thought it was torn, it would have leaked out by now.

And now this tweet comes in:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1