Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season | GM: 1 | Sharks def. Canucks - 3-2 (OT)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This game doesn't appear to be televised at all? Kind of a bummer.

Vancouver Canucks' Expected Starting Lineup:

James Sheppard - Brendan Gaunce - Jayson Megna
Sven Baertschi - Bo Horvat - Jake Virtanen
Carter Bancks - Wacey Hamilton - Borna Rendulic
Tuomo Ruutu - Michael Chaput - Alexandre Grenier

Nikita Tryamkin - Philip Larsen
Andrey Pedan - Jordan Subban
Ashton Sautner - Chad Billins

Richard Bachman
Michael Garteig​

Source on the lineup: Ben Kuzma on Twitter.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Richard Bachman
Michael Garteig​

At least that second line looks not horrific.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
At least that second line looks not horrific.

I'd like to see them continue getting time together to gel. One of Willie's bigger headscratchers was uniting them last preseason, watching them dominate a game, and then stubbornly refusing to put them back together for months.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'd like to see them continue getting time together to gel. One of Willie's bigger headscratchers was uniting them last preseason, watching them dominate a game, and then stubbornly refusing to put them back together for months.

Agreed. I also think that they are a good stylistic fit given their individual skills and deficiencies. I'd love to see them get a good 20-30 games of consistently being together (barring them being absolutely horrid or something) before moving on. Chemistry takes time and it frustrates me to see Willie flip Jake around all over the line up rather than give him a consistent role with consistent line mates.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Is this gonna be an annual affair? The annual mystery game in San Jose?
Where the highly anticipated potential second line pairing of Kassian-Bonino was apparently tried once and never again!

Watch Virtanen come back from the trip and be like "I have no idea why I've been sent to Hitmen instead of Utica."

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Is this gonna be an annual affair? The annual mystery game in San Jose?
Where the highly anticipated potential second line pairing of Kassian-Bonino was apparently tried once and never again!

Watch Virtanen come back from the trip and be like "I have no idea why I've been sent to Hitmen instead of Utica."

going to try and sneak pedan through waivers.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Ah the mystery game. Now we know the season is almost upon us. Hopefully that second line sticks this time.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sharks have posted a probable roster for tomorrow (with 3 forthcoming scratches) but for the Sharks it's basically a B team given all the big guns are at the WCH.

I'm not even going to hazard a guess at the forward lines, as there are like 6 guys who have mostly been playing center in camp so far and I could only potentially assemble 2 lines out of yesterday's intrasquad scrimmage. But if I were guessing on the d-pairs and goalies:

Brenden Dillon - David Schlemko
Mirco Mueller - Dylan DeMelo
Joakim Ryan - Jeremy Roy
Jacob Middleton (scratch?)

Mantas Armalis
Troy Grosenick

I doubt any of you will care to pay too much attention to the Sharks players when you can watch your guys, but the interesting names are Goldobin (most skilled offensive player in SJ's prospect pool and on this roster), Labanc (undersized, but led the OHL in scoring last year), Sorensen (in the running for the last regular lineup spot on the team this year. High energy checking-line player with some offensive pop), Roy (2015 2nd rounder, skilled all-around d-man), and Armalis (Lithuanian-born, Swedish-trained goalie battling for the backup job to Martin Jones. And he's also a model part time. Yes, seriously.)

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Agreed. I also think that they are a good stylistic fit given their individual skills and deficiencies. I'd love to see them get a good 20-30 games of consistently being together (barring them being absolutely horrid or something) before moving on. Chemistry takes time and it frustrates me to see Willie flip Jake around all over the line up rather than give him a consistent role with consistent line mates.

Problem is Willie is on the hot seat and October is the best part of the Canucks schedule. If they have a losing record by the start of December then they're done (season schedule only gets tougher after Christmas, they have a good October and December)

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Weren't all of the pre seaon games broadcasted in previous years? I guess SN is scaling back NHL content? damn I hate having SN the rights holder for Canadian NHL content...Brutal!

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Richard Bachman
Michael Garteig​

My take on this lineup? It is one line you will see in Vancouver that WD hopefully keeps together:

Sven/Bo/Jake

Gaunce/Megna/Grenier could be Utica's first line.

?/Chaput/Rendulic 2/3s of the 2nd line.

?/Hamilton/Bancks 2/3s of Utica's 4th line.

Sheppard and Ruutu, PTOs, make the Canucks or get released when the Swedes are ready to play.

As to the D and keepers:

Sautner/Subban
This pair is in Utica.

Pedan/Billins
This is a very possible Utica pair.

The other two are Canucks, Tryamkin and Larsen.

Bachman will share the Utica net with Demko.

Garteig will be an Alaska Ace and hopefully be #1.

In short, this a preseason game for one Canucks' line. Other than that, it's a Utica Comets' preseason game missing: LaBate/CasselsCarcone (Utica 3rd line.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad