Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season | Game 2 | Oilers 3 @ Canucks 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yeah. I think people are being a bit too harsh on Etem (and that line in general) last night. And a bit too generous on Rodin.

Etem is incredibly frustrating to watch, no doubt about it. He just doesn't have hockey sense. But he did hustle around (awkwardly), was reliable enough defensively, played north-south, had the puck often and moved it to the offensive end numerous times.

It wasn't pretty hockey from that line, but for the most part, it was exactly the type of simple dump and grind hockey you want from a 4th line (which is what that group would ostensibly be penciled in as). It's a positive if you get 8-10 minutes max of that sort of play from them. It's a bit of a drag to watch when you double that and put undue expectations of "creative offense" on them. But that looked like a tuneup for playing a 4th line role together. Where, in the regular season, they can jump on after long stretches on the bench and no real offensive rhythm...move pucks to the right end of the ice, forecheck, grind away down low, occasionally throw pucks toward the net and hope for a bounce.

I think there's probably more value in those players settling in to that sort of game and showing what they can do in that spectrum, than trying to audition for a creative "top line" player role in a preseason game, when they're (hopefully) never going to see anything like those minutes in the actual season.

So you get this perception that they were not good, because they weren't dangling all over the ice making riskier creative plays and being exciting to watch. When they were in reality, probably doing exactly what they're being asked to do - and doing it pretty well. Just way more of it in bulk volume than is entirely pleasant to watch due to the quantity of minutes they got.

That line wasn't playing a dump and chase grind fourth line game though. Dorsett carried the puck a fair bit. He had that weird spin move that lead to a chance off the rush, tried to dangle and cut to the net on another rush. It wasn't what you are describing, at least not what I picture as a fourth line grind style game. They tried things.

Etem played his game, the way he knows he has to, he was just wasn't effective at it. Often driving to the corner and such. He is a bit like a pour mans Raymond.

Granlund just isn't that good of a player. At least in my viewings he is not very good. He is smart and defensively conscious, but he isn't very good.

Though the biggest problem for Etem is probably that Skille played the same type of simple mucker grinder game...but better and with more jump. :dunno:

Whereas Rodin, i didn't think had a very strong game overall. Beauty finish on the goal, and looked good and confident on the PP with space. But through much of the rest of the game 5v5, i didn't think he looked very dangerous at all. Had some issues with puck battles and traffic, some simple defensive plays, played in a lot of big loops with too much big-ice flyby stuff.

I agree Rodin should be looking to be higher on the roster. It wasn't a perfect game for him by any means but for a first game in what nine months, and first in years in North America, it was a very good game for him.

That's exactly it though. If Granlund plays in the NHL this season, those are the guys he's probably going to spend most of his time playing with. And it's not going to be 20 minutes a night of that. It's going to be half that, like 8-10 minutes a night - contribute well on special teams with the PK for a few extra minutes. Which is where that type of muck 'n grind throw pucks at the net, cycle the puck around below the hashmarks and mind the details defensively type game is appropriate.

Very cringey to watch that for 20 minutes...but as a tuneup for the roles these guys are actually auditioning for, expecting a lot of creative offense is probably looking for the wrong things.

It's also why you wanted to see more from them, as some of the only NHLers, so when they get outplayed by other players, it is very disappointing. For Etem and Dorsett I would say it's one game. For Granlund, I just think we have better options. Mainly Gaunce.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Yeah.

This sentence:

It wasn't pretty hockey from that line, but for the most part, it was exactly the type of simple dump and grind hockey you want from a 4th line.

... sounds like a good description of the Gaunce line last game, not the granlund line.

Also lol at the thought of Willie only playing Dorsett 8-10 minutes. Sure, that's how much he should play but he was in that range all of 5 times last year, and even then only because of time spent in the box.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. I think people are being a bit too harsh on Etem (and that line in general) last night. And a bit too generous on Rodin.

Etem is incredibly frustrating to watch, no doubt about it. He just doesn't have hockey sense. But he did hustle around (awkwardly), was reliable enough defensively, played north-south, had the puck often and moved it to the offensive end numerous times.

It wasn't pretty hockey from that line, but for the most part, it was exactly the type of simple dump and grind hockey you want from a 4th line (which is what that group would ostensibly be penciled in as). It's a positive if you get 8-10 minutes max of that sort of play from them. It's a bit of a drag to watch when you double that and put undue expectations of "creative offense" on them. But that looked like a tuneup for playing a 4th line role together. Where, in the regular season, they can jump on after long stretches on the bench and no real offensive rhythm...move pucks to the right end of the ice, forecheck, grind away down low, occasionally throw pucks toward the net and hope for a bounce.

I think there's probably more value in those players settling in to that sort of game and showing what they can do in that spectrum, than trying to audition for a creative "top line" player role in a preseason game, when they're (hopefully) never going to see anything like those minutes in the actual season.

So you get this perception that they were not good, because they weren't dangling all over the ice making riskier creative plays and being exciting to watch. When they were in reality, probably doing exactly what they're being asked to do - and doing it pretty well. Just way more of it in bulk volume than is entirely pleasant to watch due to the quantity of minutes they got.

Though the biggest problem for Etem is probably that Skille played the same type of simple mucker grinder game...but better and with more jump. :dunno:

That's exactly it though. If Granlund plays in the NHL this season, those are the guys he's probably going to spend most of his time playing with. And it's not going to be 20 minutes a night of that. It's going to be half that, like 8-10 minutes a night - contribute well on special teams with the PK for a few extra minutes. Which is where that type of muck 'n grind throw pucks at the net, cycle the puck around below the hashmarks and mind the details defensively type game is appropriate.

Very cringey to watch that for 20 minutes...but as a tuneup for the roles these guys are actually auditioning for, expecting a lot of creative offense is probably looking for the wrong things.

If you take away any context, yeah, that line wasn't 'terrible' last night and all 3 guys skated pretty hard. But if that's what they do against AHL opposition in September, it's hard to hold much hope for what they'll do against NHL players.

And I disagree that they played the sort of game you're describing. They were trying to do things on the rush, just not very effectively. The bigger problem, as you touch on, is that guys like Gaunce/Zalewski/Skille (and Carcone) actually do play that sort of dump/chase/possession style and do it FAR more effectively than this tiny little 4th line did last night.

biturbo19 said:
Whereas Rodin, i didn't think had a very strong game overall. Beauty finish on the goal, and looked good and confident on the PP with space. But through much of the rest of the game 5v5, i didn't think he looked very dangerous at all. Had some issues with puck battles and traffic, some simple defensive plays, played in a lot of big loops with too much big-ice flyby stuff.

And Rodin is a guy who should be showcasing his creativity and offensive skill, auditioning for a role higher up the lineup with more minutes and opportunity. A Top-6/9 role.

I cut him some slack though, first game coming off a major injury while also having to adjust to the small ice. But it wasn't an impressive showing on the whole, outside of the PP work.

Agreed to an extent on Rodin - I think the fact he scored a nice winning goal caused him to have a 'great game' when in fact he was only average.

That said, I thought he was much better defensively than you did and that it was a good effort considering the injury he's been through.

Forget Dorsett and Etem, Gaunce-Granlund-Virtanen/Hansen would be a killer 4th line.

You know full well Dorsett and Etem have a combined hockey IQ in the double digits. Zalewski simply lacks the vision, IQ, and ability to distribute the puck to his teammates that Granlund has.

But that's fair enough, Granlund will have to earn every little bit of praise due to the circumstances he was brought in under.

Did Gaunce play center last night? I already admitted he exceeded my expectations. He looked like the player that Henrik was telling everyone to watch out for.

Of course Dorsett and Etem are low IQ players. But they're the players that Granlund will have to play with if he makes the roster, so isn't it a pretty major problem if he can't work well with them, even against AHL opposition?

What on earth makes you like this player so much? He's been consistently awful for 100+ NHL games and shows little to nothing to cause me to think he can be a quality NHL player. Looks like a slightly quicker Linden Vey.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If you take away any context, yeah, that line wasn't 'terrible' last night and all 3 guys skated pretty hard. But if that's what they do against AHL opposition in September, it's hard to hold much hope for what they'll do against NHL players.

And I disagree that they played the sort of game you're describing. They were trying to do things on the rush, just not very effectively. The bigger problem, as you touch on, is that guys like Gaunce/Zalewski/Skille (and Carcone) actually do play that sort of dump/chase/possession style and do it FAR more effectively than this tiny little 4th line did last night.

Agreed to an extent on Rodin - I think the fact he scored a nice winning goal caused him to have a 'great game' when in fact he was only average.

That said, I thought he was much better defensively than you did and that it was a good effort considering the injury he's been through.

Of course Dorsett and Etem are low IQ players. But they're the players that Granlund will have to play with if he makes the roster, so isn't it a pretty major problem if he can't work well with them, even against AHL opposition?

What on earth makes you like this player so much? He's been consistently awful for 100+ NHL games and shows little to nothing to cause me to think he can be a quality NHL player. Looks like a slightly quicker Linden Vey.

I don't think he is awful, just kind of irrelevant, the sort of player that is floating around in the offseason looking for a cheap contract.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't think he is awful, just kind of irrelevant, the sort of player that is floating around in the offseason looking for a cheap contract.

He's the same player as Linden Vey or Cal O'Reilly or Cory Conacher or whoever else. A dime-a-dozen smallish average-skating skill center. Every team has a guy or two like this in their system and there's a dozen of them who can be signed for free on two-way deals every summer. Maybe - like those guys - at some point he'll hang around an NHL roster on a bad team for a full season and score 25 or 30 points. And then quickly be replaced.

I agree he's generally irrelevant ... but his NHL results to this point have been pretty awful. And his performance after being picked up last year for us was brutal.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I like Vey more than Granlund, and no I am not related to Willie.

Vey had his moments ... thus far Granlund hasn't had a single one I can remember without really stretching it. He's like the most non-event player ever; like I noticed Grenier more, but that might be because he briefly played with the Sedins last year.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
we should have packaged shinkaruk + subban for a 1st. That would have been a much better return!!!

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
He's the same player as Linden Vey or Cal O'Reilly or Cory Conacher or whoever else. A dime-a-dozen smallish average-skating skill center. Every team has a guy or two like this in their system and there's a dozen of them who can be signed for free on two-way deals every summer. Maybe - like those guys - at some point he'll hang around an NHL roster on a bad team for a full season and score 25 or 30 points. And then quickly be replaced.

I agree he's generally irrelevant ... but his NHL results to this point have been pretty awful. And his performance after being picked up last year for us was brutal.

I thought Granlund looked really good last night, quicker, making more plays and winning more battles. One difference between him and Vey is that Granlund has a good shot. Etem did not look good, agreed.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Vey had his moments ... thus far Granlund hasn't had a single one I can remember without really stretching it. He's like the most non-event player ever; like I noticed Grenier more, but that might be because he briefly played with the Sedins last year.

To be fair Vey was the Golden Boy and Willie gifted him almost-impossible-to-believe amounts of prime opportunities so he'd better have had SOME moments.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks

Disagree that Granlund will necessarily have to play with low IQ linemates if he makes the team. If that happens then the coach goofed big time with the 4th line. Etem and Dorsett over Virtanen, Hansen if they keep 47-53-18 together, Burrows, Gaunce, Zalewski, Grenier, Skille, or even Sheppard would be a mistake.

One of Dorsett and Etem could work on a line but having two possession black holes together on each wing and any center would just as well dump it in and change.

Ideal 4th liners all have hockey IQ e.g. Richardson, Gaunce, Hansen, Malhotra, etc.

Dorsett is a slightly better Hordichuk - useful only as a meatshield, meat torpedo or facepuncher. Having Gudbranson helps make him a bit less relevant and if Tryamkin and Pedan make the team I think management would be comfortable cutting their losses with Dorsett.

Etem, while he didn't play particularly poorly, is headed for the waiver wire. At least I hope that's the case. He's the epitome of all tools no toolbox and just too frustrating player to continue watching which pains me to say because I like the individual.

Also disagree that Granlund has been consistently awful over 100+ games. Some Calgary fans regarded him as superior to Baertschi when they were both Flames. His AHL career was quite good and he fits the profile of a 4th line center you wouldn't be afraid to give 15 minutes of ice time per game. Smart, defensively responsible, sees the ice well, distributes the puck to his wingers well, has a good shot, can provide some offense, competes hard, has no glaring weaknesses in his game and is still young enough that he has a good amount of potential to improve.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
trymakin is gonna make the final roster, 100%. they would have to go full ****** if they dont.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

Yep, I can see you are very open to letting this player prove himself.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That line wasn't playing a dump and chase grind fourth line game though. Dorsett carried the puck a fair bit. He had that weird spin move that lead to a chance off the rush, tried to dangle and cut to the net on another rush. It wasn't what you are describing, at least not what I picture as a fourth line grind style game. They tried things.

Etem played his game, the way he knows he has to, he was just wasn't effective at it. Often driving to the corner and such. He is a bit like a pour mans Raymond.

Granlund just isn't that good of a player. At least in my viewings he is not very good. He is smart and defensively conscious, but he isn't very good.

It's also why you wanted to see more from them, as some of the only NHLers, so when they get outplayed by other players, it is very disappointing. For Etem and Dorsett I would say it's one game. For Granlund, I just think we have better options. Mainly Gaunce.

Sure, they played off the rush plenty as well...in a pretty rudimentary north-south take pucks to the net (or in Etem's case - sometimes take pucks to the corner) sort of way. Totally within the bounds of a muck 'n grind 4th line role. I mean, they played like 20 minutes, they did a lot of things. :laugh: But by and large, they did plenty of cycling the puck around down low, throwing some pucks toward the net. It was a simple 4th line game. It was just way too much of it because they played way more than they should and will in the real games.

I don't know how you missed the grinding they did, but it was definitely there. Granlund and Etem in particular.

That to me, looked like what i'd expect from an 8-10 minute a night 4th line having a very decent game. They just happened to do it for 20 minutes. :dunno:

You call it "taking away any context", when what it's really about actually looking at the context of who these guys are, and what they're expected to do - and remembering that this is an early preseason game with mostly AHL rosters. But ultimately, that's our penciled in 4th line, playing an effective 4th line game in a massively oversized dose.

Of course they tried to do some things off the rush. I don't know why you're under the impression that isn't part of a good 4th line game. If that line carries through the regular season doing that kind of thing, Etem or Dorsett rushing up ice and throwing a bad angle muffin on net for a faceoff or to get a line change...that's still plenty helpful from a 4th line. At some point, you're going to get a lucky bounce doing that and crashing the net. But more importantly, that's one more offensive zone faceoff opportunity, which is good. If they're keeping pucks moving in the right direction, that's very satisfactory.

I'd certainly give you that Skille definitely play a better version of that game than Etem/Dorsett in that instance (and mentioned that earlier as well). That's certainly an issue for Etem (Dorsett's contract and fightpunching role make him secure regardless). Don't agree at all that Zalewski or Carcone were more effective though. Zalewski in particularly didn't really do much of anything. They were both fine, but had the advantage of plying their trade in far more appropriate smaller minutes (and where the derisive comment about playing a half AHL opponent is more applicable).

If you ask anyone to grind away like that for 20 minutes, it's going to stick out like a sore thumb, look ugly and get on fan's nerves watching them just "fill minutes" in that quantity. I don't really know why it was necessary to play that line so much, but they did...and i think you have to consider that part of context when weighing their play in that game.

Gaunce did look good, but you still have to keep in mind that the job Granlund is hypothetically fending off Gaunce for, is like an 8 minutes a night gig with simpleminded North-South linemates and a bit of PK time in there as the only real special teams play.

Hank(18mins)+Horvat(17mins)+Sutter(17mins)=52 minutes from our top-3 Centers. Each well within their ability. That leaves like 8 minutes. And some of that is going to be shorthanded.

I have little doubt Gaunce could fill that role, and he looked more than ready for it last night. But is that really going to be a place where Gaunce can thrive right now? He was good, but is he going to be good enough to start prying minutes away from Sutter/Horvat at this point? I didn't see that much from Gaunce last night.

Nor did i see anything to indicate Granlund can't handle 8 minutes a night with wingers like Etem and Dorsett and chip in with some useful PK time. They managed 20 fairly low-drama minutes. :laugh:

I didn't think he was terrible defensively for the most part. But his work around both bluelines had some hiccups, and the flyby stuff is something that will definitely need to be corrected in short order. It doesn't fly for a Vet like Vrbata last year (at least, as far as fans are concerned), and it shouldn't fly for a guy like Rodin.

He obviously gets a bit of leeway on that due to his situation though. It can be a big adjustment, and he's coming off the injury. Lots of room for improvement if he wants to be a regular NHLer though. And unfortunate as it may be in the timing of everything, he doesn't have forever ahead of him to pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad