GDT: Pre-season game 1 and 2 - Senators vs Leafs

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pinto and Batherson in the same line can’t score?

If you switch Giroux and Tarasenko, Giroux and Norris on the second line can’t score?
Two 20 goal players on the third line in Pinto and Kubalik with a guy who had 9 points in 20 games last year. No they wont score either.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Who had 9 points in 20 games?
Grieg.

That poster is absolutely out to lunch.

Scoring will not be this teams issue here.

They have one of the best top lines in the league and one of the best top 4 D cores in the league to get them the puck. Then they have these 7 players to fill out the middle 6.

Norris, Tarasenko, Batherson, Pinto, Kubalik, Grieg and Joseph.

After watching Kubalik last night I think they should be spreading out the scoring over two lines so that Tarasenko doesnt play out of position. Id like to see this.

Kubalik Norris Tarasenko
Grieg/Joseph Pinto Batherson

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Practically daring the Habs to beat us with that lineup.

But they won't.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You really think the 4th line is as important as our #5D? Whoever plays 5 minutes on the bottom line has infinitely less impact as our 3rd line dmen. And Branny can actually move up to the top-4 with almost no negative results, while I doubt we can say the same about Joseph.

I also really doubt they're offering a 1st pick to get rid of Joseph. Most likely a 2nd, which is acceptable.
Well, Joseph is a 3rd liner not a 4th liner, both on this team, and in terms of his general impact, so no I don't think the 4th line is as important. The problem is 4th liners move up the line to the top 9 if we trade Joseph. If we trade trade Brannstrom, an injury has to happen before a significant overslotting occurs

What we are offering is one thing, what the other team will accept is another. The flyers don't need to trade for Joseph, we need to make cap space for Pinto. I'm hopeful if we move Joseph, the cost isn't too high, but reality is we aren't the ones in control, so if the cost exceeds what we're willing to pay as the rumours have suggested, we need to explore alternative options to persue or at least regain some leverage

Almost no negative results from moving Brannstrom to the top 4 seems pretty optimistic, and I like him. Which of Chychrun, Chabot, or Sanderson do you see minimal impact with Brannstrom in their place? If that were actually true, teams would be throwing great offers at us but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
@Answer are you tall and slim long hair? Cuz if so……..

I think Norris can actually even out batherson defensive inability.

But I think tarasenko will be up with tkatchuk and stutzle
Coaching should help Batherson's D play.. If this staff can't do that they have no business coaching in the NHL. Just get them to swallow their pride and ask Alfie to work with Batherson . Batherson got the ugly green jacket but he isn't the only forward that needs help defensively on this team.
Sometimes Hard and Track and buzz words aren't enough you have to get more specific.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
ok now is the time to be concerned about Norris.

I don’t think so. It’s a road game, plus given neither Sanderson or Zub is dressed for this one as well. I kind of expect both top lines and top pairings to suit up Friday. Probably give the PP units work together.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We should rent the Floats from Toronto, and start planning the Parade...

1695766858326.png

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Its actually really wild how poor he is at his job. I actually wouldnt mind it that much if he didnt talk over the play but thats his worst trait. Its crazy because he is from Ottawa and used to do sens games and people think he is a leaf homer. He is actually just bad at his job. The opposition think he is a sens homer.

If he stopped talking over the plae would be tolerable but he doesnt and its so so bad.
Thank God most of the regular season games will be aired on TSN. Can do without Galley and Maclean.

Reactions: DrEasy

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
MacEwen has a great motor and is an agitator and yes can drop them with heavies. With Reaves, Lucic and Xhekaj in the division he is a necessity. I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised once they watch him. He can really skate, finishes all his checks and is a very physical player.
If MacEwen can take on a bunch of the other team's tough guys instead of Brady that's a win right there. Brady should only drop them 2-3 times this year; not 8 like last year.

Reactions: Bileur and bert

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
The Opening night lineup will be this without a doubt

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Tarasenko - Norris (if available) - Batherson
Joseph - Pinto? - Kubalik
?? - Greig - ?? (Bailey? Sokolov?)

Chabot - Chychrun (let's see how long this pairing even last)
Sanderson - Zub
?? - ??

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The Opening night lineup will be this without a doubt

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Tarasenko - Norris (if available) - Batherson
Joseph - Pinto? - Kubalik
?? - Greig - ?? (Bailey? Sokolov?)

Chabot - Chychrun (let's see how long this pairing even last)
Sanderson - Zub
?? - ??
Top 9 and top 4 look correct personnel wise even if there's some slight shuffling.

I'd be willing to put all my chips on no chance Greig is our 4th line center. I think most would agree. That's Kastelic's spot without question and if Greig sticks, it'll be top 9 to fill in for Pinto or Norris. Otherwise, he's waiver exempt and he'll go down for now. Same goes for Sokolov imo and potentially Smejkal if they aren't willing to waive Kelly and/or not sign Bailey. You can likely pencil in Macewan since they just signed him for 3 years. Bailey if they can fit and sign him will be there. Kelly I think sticks again because of his one way, but looks prime to be the 13th forward to start.

And the 3rd pairing on D, if nobody is dealt, will end up Brannstrom-Hamonic with JBD riding shotgun as the 7th. Unless they disrupt the top 4 to spread it out, which I doubt, that seems fairly clear with the only variable being Thomson turning heads to jump JBD, or JBD jumping Brannstrom in camp. Both doubtful.

DJ highlighted injuries and said the other day that a lot of camp is going to be about deciding on call up pecking order and roles. That's what most of these guys are fighting for imo, not slots on opening night. There's always a lot of debate this time of year, but one way contracts and waiver terms will mostly decide the rest, as always. Granted, the cap crunch this year is a variable that could change things.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad