Follow the game here:

http://usahockey2.com/usah_blogs/world_juniors_blog/
https://twitter.com/#!/OHLSuperfan/alberta-2012-wjc

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I assume Gibson gets the start. Interesting to see how he fares. Hope the U.S. special teams (especially the PP) gets tuned up a bit.

truefan8993

Dec 20, 2011
There have been rumors that Seth Jones is out of the wjc with a injury that occurred during last night's game.:shakehead

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There have been rumors that Seth Jones is out of the wjc with a injury that occurred during last night's game.:shakehead

Well, I'm not sure he was a sure bet even if he is healthy. I know USA Hockey really likes him, and he has a lot of ability, but waiting another year might not be the worst thing for all parties.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Lines:

Zucker-Coyle-Saad
Rau-Czarnik-Miller
Agostino-Tynan-Etem
Brickley-Arnold-Watson
Archibald

Tinordi-Clendening
Forbort-Trouba
Gravel-Merrill
Levi-Johns

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Team USA lines tonight:

Zucker - Coyle - Saad
Rau - Czarnik - Miller
Agostino - Tynan - Etem
Brickley - Arnold - Watson
Archibald

Tinordi - Clendening
Forbort - Trouba
Gravel - Merrill
Levi - Johns

Gibson
Campbell

Scratches: Bjugstad, Prince, Ferlin, Gaudreau, Jones.

Don't read too much into the lines or scratches other than obviously Jones is out for the tournament and Gaudreau being scratched most likely means he's a cut even though most already knew that would be the case.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Zucker took a big hit and was apparently banged up but is back on the bench.

Tinordi is wearing the C tonight. Coyle wore it last night.

Saad just made it 2-0 off a rebound from a Zucker shot.

The Swiss didn't get their first shots of the game until the 14 minute mark while on their 2nd PP.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Swiss score on a rebound. PP goal. Clendening had taken another penalty. 4th so far in 4 periods of exhibition play. No good.

He's stagnated in his development a bit since his great U-18 World Championship as an underager.

Etem makes it 4-1 on the PP from Czarnik and Saad. Sounds like Czarnik is playing his way onto this team. One of the surprise invites.

Dean Blais has been running PP units w/4 forwards and 1 D.

Coyle just made it 5-1. Tipped in Trouba's shot. Saad picks up his 2nd assist. 1+2 now for the night.

Bartcshi made it 5-2 on a breakaway. Gibson made the first stop but apparently Bartschi buried the rebound in a nifty manner.

Tynan made it 6-2 right before the end of the period on the PP. Saad and Merrill with the assists.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Fingers crossed that Prince isn't cut?

Well, not yet. I think they should pick him for his playmaking ability alone but there's going to be some tough cuts. That said, there's been conflicting info on Prince. The USA Hockey blog was impressed by him last night but according to The Pipeline Show he didn't play much at all against Russia and is scratched tonight. So who knows. We'll find at in the morning.

Last edited:

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
From the sounds of it, Clendening isn't doing so hot. If you guys had to guess, who has a better chance at sticking with the team - Stephen Johns or Adam Clendening?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
From the sounds of it, Clendening isn't doing so hot. If you guys had to guess, who has a better chance at sticking with the team - Stephen Johns or Adam Clendening?

Clendening. If Faulk and Murphy were here he wouldn't make the team but without them, they need his playmaking skills. He just needs to focus his game. The high risk plays and penalties must be minimized.

I think the cut is going to be between Johns, Gravel, or Levi. They could choose to stay veteran and cut Trouba but he's too skilled and versatile, even given his age, to leave behind in my opinion. They knew they were going to have to rely on a young defender without Faulk and Murphy and given how shallow the '93 group is. They expected it to be Jones but Trouba is more than capable. Just needs to keep his focus and composure as a 17 year old. He has the skills and size to play well already at this level.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
That's kind of what I thought. Hopefully Johns can make the team aswell, I'm much more interested in seeing how he plays.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
What about Jon Merrill?

Absolute lock.

Best all around d-man they have at this stage. Hopefully with the intense two-a-day practices/team scrimmages the team had, along with the 3 exhibition games, he can round into mid-season form. They'll need him to play quite a bit.

That's kind of what I thought. Hopefully Johns can make the team aswell, I'm much more interested in seeing how he plays.

The one edge he has on the others is that he's really strong and mean. The question is who Blais and co. will feel the most comfortable with playing a 3rd pairing shutdown role. Can't afford to have a guy out there for defense and physical play taking penalties which has been the knock on Johns. It'll be a tough call. Only d-men I'd be surprised to be cut would be Merrill, Tinordi, Clendening, and Forbort. From there, it's just preference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad