GDT: Pre-Competition • Dec. 20 • United States vs. Russia • 3-6 final

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
last year and this year Campbell does not have a very good GA average and Save Percention. Playing against good hockey players in the OHL.

7 * John Gibson Kitchener Rangers 21 1238 774 722 52 0 2.52 0.933 14 6 0 0

12 Jack Campbell Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (total) 25 1495 821 746 75 2 3.01 0.909 12 7 3 2

this year

last year

23 Jack Campbell Windsor Spitfires 45 2447 1340 1185 155 0 3.80 0.884 24 14 2 2

I knew that. Which is why I can't understand the Campbell hype. Well I mean I understand. 11th overall pick vs early second rounder. All hype. Still annoying.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Nice to see Miller finish with 1+1.

Have to think Gibson will get a serious look, though it is obviously tough to judge Campbell without watching.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I just don't get that!!! I actually wanted to see this game and I'm not even American (nor Russian.)

Niagara Girl

Samesies. The Russians play the most entertaining hockey in the world. Thankfully TSN is showing a lot of their WJC games.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I knew that. Which is why I can't understand the Campbell hype. Well I mean I understand. 11th overall pick vs early second rounder. All hype. Still annoying.

Campbell has always been lights out for Team USA stretching back to the U18. He's the best and most proven goaltender going into this tournament.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Campbell has always been lights out for Team USA stretching back to the U18. He's the best and most proven goaltender going into this tournament.

In international tournaments. Gibson has outplayed Campbell at the OHL level.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
6-3... and that's even WITHOUT Kuznetsov, Gusev and Grigorenko.....

Yep...and the U.S. didn't have Tinordi, Bjugstad, Brandon Saad, and Tynan. Love how people over analyze games when it's the first pre event. Remember last year the U.S. lost to the college team RPI, then they went on to only lose once in the 2011 tournament.

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
Back from the game. The arena was full I was told which is a nice thing to see. Where else will you see a sold out 6000 seat arena in a small town at an exhibition junior game where your national team doesn't even play? It is just amazing how much hockey is supported in Canada.

Kuznetsov, Gusev, Grigorenko and the others who did not play were literally unrecognised in the crowd. I really thought that people would be asking Kuznetsov for a photo at least remembering his heroics last year, that was not the case. I took a picture with Gusev and one guy also asked Gusev for a photo, Gusev agreed and then the guy asked me if I knew who Gusev was.

The game itself was weak I thought. I did not expect anything spectacular, specially considering that Canada-Finland game last night was also not very exciting. The final result was a little too flattering for Russia. USA if they had a little more offensive talent could have won the game, potentially this could have been one of those high scoring games. Luckily Russia scored two quick goals which were really decisive.

I obviously can't really be expecting too much from players at this stage but the game was filled with turnovers, poor decisions. The game did not have the usual flow that I am used to seeing at this level. Nobody really stood out on either team, Yakupov was just ok even though he scored nicely on a breakaway and made a gorgeous pass that led to a US penalty and a goal. Outside of that I thought Yakupov was rather invisible.

Also it appears that Kuznetsov, Grigorenko and Gusev are considered the top forwards and that's why they didn't play today.

Fulcrum

Back from the game. The arena was full I was told which is a nice thing to see. Where else will you see a sold out 6000 seat arena in a small town at an exhibition junior game where your national team doesn't even play? It is just amazing how much hockey is supported in Canada.

Kuznetsov, Gusev, Grigorenko and the others who did not play were literally unrecognised in the crowd. I really thought that people would be asking Kuznetsov for a photo at least remembering his heroics last year, that was not the case. I took a picture with Gusev and one guy also asked Gusev for a photo, Gusev agreed and then the guy asked me if I knew who Gusev was.

The game itself was weak I thought. I did not expect anything spectacular, specially considering that Canada-Finland game last night was also not very exciting. The final result was a little too flattering for Russia. USA if they had a little more offensive talent could have won the game, potentially this could have been one of those high scoring games. Luckily Russia scored two quick goals which were really decisive.

I obviously can't really be expecting too much from players at this stage but the game was filled with turnovers, poor decisions. The game did not have the usual flow that I am used to seeing at this level. Nobody really stood out on either team, Yakupov was just ok even though he scored nicely on a breakaway and made a gorgeous pass that led to a US penalty and a goal. Outside of that I thought Yakupov was rather invisible.

Also it appears that Kuznetsov, Grigorenko and Gusev are considered the top forwards and that's why they didn't play today.

Thanks for the info.

How was Kucherov without his linemates? How was Vasilevski?

TheSpaceman

Sep 1, 2009
Almost got tickets for this from the boss! Ahh, I have some ass kissing to do for future games.

NiagaraGirl

Hockey Canada fan :)

I would have definitely gone to have seen the game if I had the chance. :) Sorry that the Russian players weren't recognized in the crowd but hey they did a great job last year and people respect what they pulled off but probably don't remember the individual faces since it's not a home team they'd be looking at all the time. ;)

Niagara Girl

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I would have definitely gone to have seen the game if I had the chance. :) Sorry that the Russian players weren't recognized in the crowd but hey they did a great job last year and people respect what they pulled off but probably don't remember the individual faces since it's not a home team they'd be looking at all the time. ;)

Niagara Girl

I bet most of the Canadian players wouldn't be recognised:laugh:

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
Thanks for the info.

How was Kucherov without his linemates? How was Vasilevski?

Kucherov was good I thought. To me Gusev is a better player, who also make Kucherov look better. Obviously they have insane chemistry with Gusev but Kucherov did better without Gusev than I expected. He scored with a nice redirection on Arzamastsev shot, which is nice that team Russia has players with great hand eye coordination.

Vasilevski looked good in the middle part of the game, was making solid saves and looked as he was gaining confidence, but then breakaway shortie was sort of weak. In the third period I thought his rebound control was a mess, he got tired I thought. Russians cleaned his rebounds nicely though.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I just don't get that!!! I actually wanted to see this game and I'm not even American (nor Russian.)

Niagara Girl

Because it costs money to televise a game. An exhibition WJC game isn't likely to be worth the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad