Practice lines

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I hope Galchenyuk does well with you guys I liked him a lot in MTL

He really needs this badly, I hope for his sake he finds all the success in the world. If he discovers his game he should resign on decent contract. He will never get another opportunity like this. I know let’s not get ahead of ourselves but would be great to see him hit 30 again.

Reactions: Eric bungay

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I doubt Galch sticks, but let's say he does for the sake of argument and Toronto adds a top 6 winger at the deadline to play on the 1st line, with Kerfoot going the other way... I'll use Rackell solely as an example...

A cool lineup to try might be...

Rackell-Matthews-Nylander
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Marner
Simmonds-Hyman-Mikheyev
Thornton-Engvall-Spezza

I think that could be an awesome lineup, with defined roles. Marner as the setup man for two guys that love to shoot would be sweep. That first line could handle itself lol. Third line would be toughhhhhh to play against.

Last edited:

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I doubt Galch sticks, but let's say he does for the sake of argument and Toronto adds a top 6 winger at the deadline to play on the 1st line, with Kerfoot going the other way... I'll use Rackell solely as an example...

A cool lineup to try might be...

Rackell-Matthews-Nylander
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Marner
Simmonds-Hyman-Mikheyev
Thornton-Engvall-Spezza

I think that could be an awesome lineup, with defined roles. Marner as the setup man for two guys that live to shoot would be sweep. That first line could handle itself lol. Third lin would be toughhhhhh to play against.
If the ex hab becomes a true top 6er than your line up is cup worthy

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Galy in for Vessey? I would have done it the day he got here. I think management wanted Galy to reflect on his current dire situation and wanted to prove himself in the Marlies. He has done that and earned this beautiful opportunity. Excited to see him play for blue and white.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Hopefully Galchenyuk all of a sudden is 10x better off the puck and retrieving it. Because anyone who thinks Nylander is bad at this is in for something else completely on a major level of bad. That said he's got lots of skill and upside. I think he's a terrible fit for the Leafs unless he all of a sudden changes his game (or is a Nylander replacement in the case he goes down down the stretch, or as PP insurance).

I liked Thornton on the JT-Willie line much more than with Matthews-Marner, from the little I saw. Although Kerfoot is better than Engvall I'd rather the line of Mikheyev-Engvall-Hyman over Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman. Just keep Kerfoot as a luxury on the 4th line with special unit time and insurance to Engvall as 3C. Kerfoot may make that 4th line really dominate; we'd then be strong from lines 1-4. Kerfoot hasn't been a great fit anywhere so why not let the top 3 lines be good lines with better fits, while also making the 4th line a dominate one? He'd certainly add some speed to it especially if he happens to be more fresh. Maybe he'd be a guy to eat some minutes from Thornton as LW to Tavares-Nylander; that looks like a really good Kerfoot fit to the team for me, that or just insurance to Engvall + special unit time.

Really think that forward we want needs to be a top 6 LW to play with Matthews-Marner, where maybe even Hyman takes some shifts from Thornton and/or the 1st line LW. Granlund may be small but he's a smart skilled two-way forward that can play all 3 forward positions and is an excellent left shot passer. Imagine he & Marner dishing pucks to Matthews... I mean Rakell would be better but still a great option.

Once getting a forward I'd like to see this with what is described above:

X - Matthews - Marner
Thornton - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Engvall - Hyman
Kerfoot - Spezza - Simmonds or Simmonds - Kerfoot - Spezza

Come playoff time I hope they don't force him onto the top 3 lines. Tyler Johnson will likely be on Tampa's 4th line come playoff time for comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crosbyfan

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Robertson better than Galchenyuk, if anything they should be saving that spot for him.

I wanted Robertson in that spot because Vesey looked like the most replacement-level player ever. Did nothing good or bad and thats not good enough when you play primarily in the top 6 of a contender.

However, with Galchenyuk there (or a trade) instead of Vesey, it likely doesnt make sense for Robertson to be on the Leafs this year unless there is an injury. If we go the trade route, the most mentioned players are all likely better 2-way players than Robertson at the moment and I like what our bottom 6 wingers (Simmonds, Mikheyev, Spezza, Thornton/Hyman) bring over Robertson for this year.

Robertson will very likely start with the Leafs next year as we will likely lose multiple wingers (Possibly Thornton, Spezza, Galchenyuk, rental, etc.). He could still be called up if we get an injury/somebody underperforms, but no need to rush a super young kid onto what should be a contending team.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I wanted Robertson in that spot because Vesey looked like the most replacement-level player ever. Did nothing good or bad and thats not good enough when you play primarily in the top 6 of a contender.

However, with Galchenyuk there (or a trade) instead of Vesey, it likely doesnt make sense for Robertson to be on the Leafs this year unless there is an injury. If we go the trade route, the most mentioned players are all likely better 2-way players than Robertson at the moment and I like what our bottom 6 wingers (Simmonds, Mikheyev, Spezza, Thornton/Hyman) bring over Robertson for this year.

Robertson will very likely start with the Leafs next year as we will likely lose multiple wingers (Possibly Thornton, Spezza, Galchenyuk, rental, etc.). He could still be called up if we get an injury/somebody underperforms, but no need to rush a super young kid onto what should be a contending team.
I hope Robertson ends up playing less than the max number of games that would eat a year of his ELC. He'd be the Leafs top 6LW for the next 3 years on an ELC and would have the 2nd best shot on the team I'd think (no disrespect to Nylander or JT). With the foreseeable flat cap future that's gold. All the more reason I hope they don't deal him.

Reactions: Ciao and Community

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
To me the top 6 looks so much stronger if you just swap Marner and Willy. And swap Thornton with literally anybody.

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
Robertson better than Galchenyuk, if anything they should be saving that spot for him.
I expect he will be at some point, but he certainly isn't today. I love Robertson. But have you been watching him with the Marlies? He doesn't look ready yet. And he hasn't looked like an NHLer when he's been called up either.
I'm high on him long-term, and I know injuries haven't helped recently, but he still needs more time to adjust to the pro game IMO.

Reactions: meng666

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I expect he will be at some point, but he certainly isn't today. I love Robertson. But have you been watching him with the Marlies? He doesn't look ready yet. And he hasn't looked like an NHLer when he's been called up either.
I'm high on him long-term, and I know injuries haven't helped recently, but he still needs more time to adjust to the pro game IMO.
What specifically is it about him that points to he isn't ready?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Going against the grain here, but were I Keefe, I'd be thinking about using Nylander on the PK. While we've all seen his lackadaisical efforts over the years, his past 10 games or so have been, perhaps, his best ever. He's been effective at back checking, his skating we know, he can steal pucks with the best of them, I've even seen him throw the odd bodycheck :eek: and of the C's Keefe is using on the PK, only Spezza (get off as soon as you can after the FO) has a winning percentage on the dot. Spezza, at 58.1% has been excellent in that regard. Willy is rocking a 57.1%, a solid 17% jump up from Kerfoot's work on the dot, up over 13% over Engvall's success rate, and a booming 25% better than Zach. Marner and Mykheyev are a combined 100%, but with 6 FO between them...

At just under 16.5 min TOI, using him on the PK certainly wouldn't hurt him. It would also take some of the strain Marner is experiencing playing 22.38 each night, with almost 2 min/ on the PK. Keefe has said that motivation is sometimes a problem for Nylander. We saw the positive impact benching him in the 3rd period a while back had on his play. Would a carrot now help? I believe he has the skills, can he be cajoled into offering the effort to become an effective PKer? Does the added responsibility make him a better player? I'd like to find out.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I am not a big fan of that 2nd line. Who retrieves pucks? Tavares?

Also Galy is a reclamation project of the highest order. I don't know if he will survive 2 weeks on TOR.

The guy has a shot, he can't skate, cant retrieve pucks, cant break out, but he can shoot, give him limited minutes and sit him on the 2nd unit PP.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
What specifically is it about him that points to he isn't ready?
More turnovers than you would expect. He was broadening his possession time down there and it would lead to him coughing it up at times (skating it out of the zone, curling through the offensive zone, etc). He wasn’t bad though, he’s going to be an excellent player. He’s just working on stuff that he needs to add to his pro game and playing with the Marlies is a perfect chance to get minutes in. If they call him up though I’ll be very excited to see him on the leafs.

Reactions: Ciao

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
If Galchenyuk becomes, anything close to, what he was projected to be when drafted. This is a major W for the Leafs. Imagine if he sticks on the 1st/2nd line this year, than goes onto score 30+ goals next season.
Yes but he's a free agent at the end of this season. Leafs would have to resign him.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The guy has a shot, he can't skate, cant retrieve pucks, cant break out, but he can shoot, give him limited minutes and sit him on the 2nd unit PP.

It is possible. If he can contribute to the leafs then I'll be happy. I want him to prove me wrong in the worst way.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I liked Thornton with JT and Willy.

Galy I think would light it up with AM and MM

To be honest I'm still expecting to see this tommorrow:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Thornton-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Engvall

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Going against the grain here, but were I Keefe, I'd be thinking about using Nylander on the PK. While we've all seen his lackadaisical efforts over the years, his past 10 games or so have been, perhaps, his best ever. He's been effective at back checking, his skating we know, he can steal pucks with the best of them, I've even seen him throw the odd bodycheck :eek: and of the C's Keefe is using on the PK, only Spezza (get off as soon as you can after the FO) has a winning percentage on the dot. Spezza, at 58.1% has been excellent in that regard. Willy is rocking a 57.1%, a solid 17% jump up from Kerfoot's work on the dot, up over 13% over Engvall's success rate, and a booming 25% better than Zach. Marner and Mykheyev are a combined 100%, but with 6 FO between them...

At just under 16.5 min TOI, using him on the PK certainly wouldn't hurt him. It would also take some of the strain Marner is experiencing playing 22.38 each night, with almost 2 min/ on the PK. Keefe has said that motivation is sometimes a problem for Nylander. We saw the positive impact benching him in the 3rd period a while back had on his play. Would a carrot now help? I believe he has the skills, can he be cajoled into offering the effort to become an effective PKer? Does the added responsibility make him a better player? I'd like to find out.

Not sure if I'm missing something but this seems like a really good idea!

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC

Got to admit it , I never thought about that notion .I certainly think its worth a try, I think your on to something ..
On a related thought ..
I would like to see WN really given a shot at centre , don’t know why other than it might work !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad