Line Combos: Practice day

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't mind the take it slow approach with some of these guys, but the rhetoric does fall on deaf ears a bit when the vets aren't/weren't really earning their keep either.

Just call it like it is imo and say you want them to watch and practice only for now, no need to fluff it up with claims that they need to earn it over other guys that aren't earning it either.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It should be said for every player you are trying to develop. Gustavsson was a last resort and luckily he did well, but that shouldn't be the expectation. Not playing every game isn't going to crush him either. His debut was okay, but did anyone come away thinking he was ready to be a full time NHL player?
Do you come away thinking Brown is ready to be a full time nhler? At least get some sort of rotation between the two?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Do you come away thinking Brown is ready to be a full time nhler? At least get some sort of rotation between the two?

Brown is literally just a filler until others show they are ready. If JBD plays well Brown will be tossed aside the same way Bishop/Amadio have been tossed aside while Pinto plays like he belongs.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Brown is literally just a filler until others show they are ready. If JBD plays well Brown will be tossed aside the same way Bishop/Amadio have been tossed aside while Pinto plays like he belongs.
Other players being ready this year just means the vets play so poorly the coach has to take them out to save face.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Other players being ready this year just means the vets play so poorly the coach has to take them out to save face.

Sure. Norris, Batherson and Stutzle were given offensive opportunities out of the gate because the coach had to save face.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Idk, Brown adds a dynamic that we otherwise lack, particularly with Watson out. The team seemed to go out of its way to add that dynamic by acquiring those two and Gudbranson, I think JBD will have to do more than provide a similar level of play to push Brown out unless we acquire somebody else to fill that skillset that we clearly see value in.

Reactions: aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Sure. Norris, Batherson and Stutzle were given offensive opportunities out of the gate because the coach had to save face.
It’s crazy that some old players had to earn it...but never actually earned. Went from team to team until they were “vets” and then magically, have earned it

Reactions: Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It’s crazy that some old players had to earn it...but never actually earned. Went from team to team until they were “vets” and then magically, have earned it

The vets were there to make the kids earn it, not the other way around. Everyone knew they were placeholders to hopefully be flipped at the deadline, and make the kids work their asses off to crack the line up.

In my opinion it was a simple as that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The vets were there to make the kids earn it, not the other way around. Everyone knew they were placeholders to hopefully be flipped at the deadline, and make the kids work their asses off to crack the line up.

In my opinion it was a simple as that.
Do you think it was earned? Or maybe it was too easy? We simply could not keep playing the vets we signed and traded for if we didn’t want to have the worst season of the last 30 yearsWho knows. The kids may still take things for granted seeing how easy it was to supplant the vets. We could become......the oilers.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
JBD did play well.

Don't think he should automatically be in for the rest of the season but man...let him play in Bingo over this next stretch then OR let him rotate in and out.

Practice, feedback, implement in game - repeat.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
JBD did play well.

Don't think he should automatically be in for the rest of the season but man...let him play in Bingo over this next stretch then OR let him rotate in and out.

Practice, feedback, implement in game - repeat.

The issue with sending him down is that there's a limited number of callups allowed after the trade deadline.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Huh?

Idk, Brown adds a dynamic that we otherwise lack, particularly with Watson out. The team seemed to go out of its way to add that dynamic by acquiring those two and Gudbranson, I think JBD will have to do more than provide a similar level of play to push Brown out unless we acquire somebody else to fill that skillset that we clearly see value in.

He does bring an element that we lack at the moment but I'm sure if JBD had shown more in his debut, Brown would be blocking him. At the end of the day JBD potentially has a future with the team where as Brown doesn't.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lol he got into one scuffle in each game, amounting to very little. Weren’t even players running around.

I think Ouroboros gave the best explanation, what is your interpretation of what DJ is saying?

I mean. Can just not fight? We’ve played how many games this year? How many left? Have we been involved in many brutally dirty games? I’d say....we’ve been involved in zero. Not like our games get out of hand and they need policing lmao. The next games are complete vanilla games.

Ottawa leads the league in fights & the coach has said specifically he wants a guy on D that can stand up for teammates, take it up with him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I don't know about that, I agree with Mickelbot that J. Brown brings an element of toughness & fighting that the COACH WANTS on this roster that no one else on D has, especially with Watson out of the lineup. But it won't surprise me if both are in the lineup next season unless they pick up a UFA that provides that who is a better defenceman than J. Brown. I just think this coach wants one at forward & at least one on D who can drop them when required.

The old player didn't have to earn it here, they were already NHL players, they earned it when they were younger & fighting for a roster spot on some team. They come with the respect that they are NHL players, that fact that it didn't go well with the players that PD brought in doesn't change the fact that this coaching staff want the element of toughness & ability to drop the gloves in their lineup.

They are not the only team to have big tough players in their lineup, literally every team in the NHL has at least one or two guys if not more for some teams that have that aspect of the game in their lineup, this is not some new revelation although many on this board seem to be against it.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

I hope they can continue doing that for the next 5 years. I am so impressed he is taking pride in this

I bet it takes a lot playing with nothing on the line against teams that have everything on the line. Maybe, try taking away 2 points from playoff teams while you yourself have your 2 points on the line, as well, that the other team can take away. Until then, just sh***** and play, thank you.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think Ouroboros gave the best explanation, what is your interpretation of what DJ is saying?

Ottawa leads the league in fights & the coach has said specifically he wants a guy on D that can stand up for teammates, take it up with him.
My interpretation is it’s just principle. If anything this year is a massive counterpoint to “not playing the kids too soon”.

great we lead the league in fights. That doesn’t mean much. Brady fought most of those. He can say no.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My interpretation is it’s just principle. If anything this year is a massive counterpoint to “not playing the kids too soon”.

great we lead the league in fights. That doesn’t mean much. Brady fought most of those. He can say no.
Anyone can say no, but you can also get jumped by some guy who doesn't like it that you hit their star & won't fight. If the other team thinks you made a dirty hit as the Jets did when Tkachuk hit Wheeler, Tkachuk said no to fight, so J. Brown stepped into his place.

If not, they could have gone after Tkachuk, or Pinto, or Batherson or Brannstrom or any of the young guys for retribution. Saying no doesn't necessarily change a team's mind, there have been lots of rats in the NHL who wouldn't fight & sooner or later someone goes after them anyway or goes after their teammates. Luckily Ottawa has a number of big guys who can defend themselves, but they are not heavyweight enforcers & the coach has said he doesn't want some of these guys fighting. That's why he wants a guy who he doesn't mind losing for 5 minutes a game rather than a good player who can make a difference in games+.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the other thing that is missing from this discussion is how bad the goaltending was at the beginning of the yr. While people keep ragging on the vets let's not forget that they also played well & won games when the goaltending was good. IMO it was not all because of the vets or the defence, but it was the goaltending that was so bad & why they lost as many games as they did to start the yr.

And we still see it in games that they lose has more to do with poor goaltending than anything else although when we dissect anything we will see mistakes & see what lead to a goal against, but goaltending has clearly been the weakest part of this team all yr. The defence always looks worse when goalies can't stop what seem like routine shots, how many goals against has Chabot cost us yet where is much less outrage to trade him.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I agree we need big guys on D who can play a physical game and engage in fights when required; however, I would also like a policeman playing on the 4th line, so we do not have to play with 5 D during penalties related to policing.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I agree we need big guys on D who can play a physical game and engage in fights when required; however, I would also like a policeman playing on the 4th line, so we do not have to play with 5 D during penalties related to policing.
And that's why they have Watson who just happens to also be good on the PK & blocking shots. It's also why I think that Kastelic could play on a 4th line C/RW future team since he brings that element of toughness this coaching staff wants. IMO it might be why they drafted Kleven to also bring that element on defence on a future team. Rather than having some of their good young players fighting they would rather have a 4th line guy or 3rd pairing D who can handle himself & the big forwards & they should have a few with Paul, Kastelic & Kleven.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
And that's why they have Watson who just happens to also be good on the PK & blocking shots. It's also why I think that Kastelic could play on a 4th line C/RW future team since he brings that element of toughness this coaching staff wants. IMO it might be why they drafted Kleven to also bring that element on defence on a future team. Rather than having some of their good young players fighting they would rather have a 4th line guy or 3rd pairing D who can handle himself & the big forwards & they should have a few with Paul, Kastelic & Kleven.

I like Watson; particularly his toothless grin. :)

Reactions: aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I hope they can continue doing that for the next 5 years. I am so impressed he is taking pride in this

I bet it takes a lot playing with nothing on the line against teams that have everything on the line. Maybe, try taking away 2 points from playoff teams while you yourself have your 2 points on the line, as well, that the other team can take away. Until then, just sh***** and play, thank you.

What are you on about here?

You are upset that a young team that has improved as the season has worn on is continuing to find competitive elements to push themselves?

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad