Powerplay

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
So, I caught some of the game between the Lightning and the Leafs the other day and as per usual the Lightning's powerplay seems to be lethal. The puck movement, the decision making, moving around opening up shooting lanes etc. is something that I've wanted to see the Hawks powerplay do FOR YEARS now.

And yeah their roster is vastly more talented than the current iteration of the Hawks (which team isn't?), but I can't understand why whatever coach runs the powerplay doesn't seem to try to pull ideas from other successful powerplays. And, like I said it's been like this for YEARS. When the roster was stacked with talent, it never seemed to make much of a difference. Even the Coyotes had a nice little tic tac toe passing play from the bumper player on their powerplay right back to Keller who scored twice on the same play in the same game.

It's just been so frustrating as a diehard fan of the team to watch the powerplay be futile year after year. Game in and game out every single Hawks powerplay is the exact same which (to me) would make it easily defendable in opposing coaches' eyes. There's been multiple times this year where the team that's killing the penalties gets better scoring chances than the Hawks with the man advantage.

I feel like I say this year after year and it's probably not thread worthy but I didn't know where else to put it. Mods feel free to either move this somewhere or delete it if need be. I needed to vent :laugh:.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Some posters love to pin the blame on an individual player, usually Seth but you're right. The Hawks PP hasn't had good movement or passing for years and no one player can be blamed. It is the so-called system they are using. Zone entries are atrocious, set-up usually takes a minute or more if it happens at all. This year we see players like Bedard, Hall and others try to stick handle through 2 or more ops players. Players hesitate to shoot and seem to be always be looking for the perfect play which seldom materializes. It is dumfounding to witness.

You are also right about TB's PP which we shall witness tonight. The movement is especially impressive and Kucherov could be the best in the league, so that helps a lot. Hawks don't have that kind of talent so they must get the puck to the blue paint at every opportunity and learn to play as a team when it comes to zone entries. Whoever is coaching the PP needs to resign or hand it off to someone else.

pp

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Some posters love to pin the blame on an individual player, usually Seth but you're right. The Hawks PP hasn't had good movement or passing for years and no one player can be blamed. It is the so-called system they are using. Zone entries are atrocious, set-up usually takes a minute or more if it happens at all. This year we see players like Bedard, Hall and others try to stick handle through 2 or more ops players. Players hesitate to shoot and seem to be always be looking for the perfect play which seldom materializes. It is dumfounding to witness.

You are also right about TB's PP which we shall witness tonight. The movement is especially impressive and Kucherov could be the best in the league, so that helps a lot. Hawks don't have that kind of talent so they must get the puck to the blue paint at every opportunity and learn to play as a team when it comes to zone entries. Whoever is coaching the PP needs to resign or hand it off to someone else.

pp

I assume that there's been several different coaches in charge of the powerplay over the years and like I said even when the Hawks roster was insanely stacked, the powerplay was still lackluster. IIRC the last time the Hawks powerplay looked halfway decent was when Gus was manning the point.

Despite his many flaws, #56 seemed to work great on the powerplay for a period of time and it seemed like the powerplay during that stretch(es) at a >25% clip.

I figured that with the addition of Bedard, we'd see a whole new style of powerplay but for the most part it pretty much feels like they just rearranged the chairs at the dinner table. I know Bedard is only a little over 10 years in to his NHL career so I'm hoping that they can get a powerplay system figured out that will utilize #98 in the best way possible. Hopefully it'll come with time, if not they better find a coach who knows how to properly run a good powerplay.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I felt that way watching the Bruins PP the other night. It seems like such a simple concept to take the open space the D is giving you and when they adjust have a teammate rotate into the space they just vacated but we haven't seen it in 10 years.

Overall our PP has had a little more movement this year compared to the past, so I guess that's something at least.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I don't know how you can not simply point to players.

This team has had plenty different coaches or player set ups. But one thing they haven't had in a decade is a Powerplay point player who can do it all. Not since prime Brian Campbell.

Keith had a couple years he was able to run it or Seabrook had years he was dominant 15/16 for example. But they never had all a combination of great skating, entry/blueline work, shooting, or passing. Campbell did, but Keith had weak shooting & Seabrooks skating or walking the blueline.

Movement is easier when you have a great dynamic point threat.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Think this means that Korchinski is staying with the Hawks all year?

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I don't think there was ever any doubt.
I thought there might be a chance they were going to keep him until WJC camp and send him off and then back to Seattle. There was a lot of talk about that this past offseason.

scorehawks

Feb 13, 2021
It's either Seth or KK. I too want to see KK on 1st PP, however he does not shoot the puck, much like in jr. Opposition PK will scout this.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
It's either Seth or KK. I too want to see KK on 1st PP, however he does not shoot the puck, much like in jr. Opposition PK will scout this.
That’s great. Honestly the ONLY person I want to see shooting the puck is Bedard. everyone else is just there to set him up or finish off the tap ins he gives you.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Let's see how things shake out with KK on the PP1 as opposed to Seth.

There's only one way to find out :boredom:

That’s great. Honestly the ONLY person I want to see shooting the puck is Bedard. everyone else is just there to set him up or finish off the tap ins he gives you.

Bedard's shot seems to generate juicy rebounds, if anything.

If the pass isn't there, fire it off the goalies' pads and go for the rebound. They don't ask how, they ask how many.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Kk getting his chance to run PP1...$9.5 demoted to PP2..they had o try something at thusvlint since tge Pos have been dreadful..

If this fails.. they shoukd put Vlasoc to run Pp1..at least he keeps pucksv in and shots on net.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Looks like KK is being moved to #1----about time!!!
I like KK... But- also wouldn't mind seeing Kaiser out there. Seems to have great quickness and skating agility in small spaces.

The One shift w 27/98/23 last game-- might have been one of Best Hawk Possessions all year... and I recall Kaiser being an agile/quick decision making part of that possession... I think he has great ability to walk the line and create a lane... My 2 cents

Reactions: scorehawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad