Game Analysis: Power Play

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It's slowwww, predictable and for a coach who is constantly changing lines maybe he would try to do something different on that first unit since the 2nd unit gets about 15 seconds so I have a hard time criticizing them. We lost our pp qb and that has been an issue but it shouldn't be this boring and unproductive.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
someone mentioned going 5 forwards a while back. I think they actually need to have 2 dmen on both units to stop all the shgs. If Trouba could hit the net, he might make sense at the left point, but right now that's just another turnover waiting to happen. The only good thing going on the pp all season is Kreider net front. The whole league is running 1-3-1, so teams are very well practiced against it. The answer is probably to break the mold a little. Look at some historical good power plays and steal. They could start with the 80's Flyers and Tim Kerr/ Kreider is nowhere near that level of net front, but they could start building from there. If i remember correctly that team spread everything out and shot whenever they got a lane. One pker was glued to Kerr so it became a 4 on 3 with separate 1 on 1 that Kerr could often win to score or continue plays.

1200ftalt

Apr 30, 2014
I'm basically driving the Fire Quinn bus but go on.

I bodied Quinn twice in that post that you didn't read.
Yes you are driving the Cancel Bus
( DeAngelo) and also the Fire Quinn bus. You show your little, little charts that say one thing BUT the eye test says something else. Ranger management screwed up suspending the Power play point man 3rd in the league last year for WORDS. What REALLY scares me about management is they are wondering why the power play is lacking ? Like I said they are trying to impress people who don’t like hockey, oh well.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
It's slowwww, predictable and for a coach who is constantly changing lines maybe he would try to do something different on that first unit since the 2nd unit gets about 15 seconds so I have a hard time criticizing them. We lost our pp qb and that has been an issue but it shouldn't be this boring and unproductive.
Most pp's are a bit predictable, but speeding things up definitely helps. The Rags should have the personnel with enough skill to execute, but I do believe Fox is a placeholder for Nils Lundkvist on the top pp. Fox is a fantastic overall dman, but I do believe Nils will usurp him as soon as next year. Fox does not have a big shot, but is crazy smart at making the correct pass or trying to shoot for the tip in or rebounds. His passing is a bit too deliberate at times, but this is only his second year remember. Nils is tearing up the SHL with 13 goals and a lead leading 7 goals on the pp. He has a cannon of a shot and it is accurate. If his overall play can be solid a huge piece of the rebuild will begin in the fall. He will be a fun player to watch.

Reactions: Chytilmania

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Biggest problem by far is that everyone stays in a pretty tight area for 90% of the time after they establish possession. The first unit in particular is very quick at getting set up and very good and keeping possession once they get going, but they are all so stationary. People move a few feet in their little areas but it’s incredibly rare that anyone skates to another position, shifts the entire set up and pulls PKers out of position. Imo Panarin or Fox should be doing this fairly often. It’d make a big difference.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Most pp's are a bit predictable, but speeding things up definitely helps. The Rags should have the personnel with enough skill to execute, but I do believe Fox is a placeholder for Nils Lundkvist on the top pp. Fox is a fantastic overall dman, but I do believe Nils will usurp him as soon as next year. Fox does not have a big shot, but is crazy smart at making the correct pass or trying to shoot for the tip in or rebounds. His passing is a bit too deliberate at times, but this is only his second year remember. Nils is tearing up the SHL with 13 goals and a lead leading 7 goals on the pp. He has a cannon of a shot and it is accurate. If his overall play can be solid a huge piece of the rebuild will begin in the fall. He will be a fun player to watch.
You could even keep Fox and Nils together on the PP. Before DeAngelo got kicked off the team, they tried him and Fox together on PP1 for a game and things looked really good for a moment there.

There's no rule that says we need to play 4 forwards.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
You could even keep Fox and Nils together on the PP. Before DeAngelo got kicked off the team, they tried him and Fox together on PP1 for a game and things looked really good for a moment there.

There's no rule that says we need to play 4 forwards.
Very true, but the overwhelming trend is for only 1 dman on each pp. I think maybe 1 or 2 teams currently use 2 dmen on their top pp? Not sure. Many do this for their second unit. If the Rangers did want to do this; however, the problem would be which dman could man the second unit?

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Very true, but the overwhelming trend is for only 1 dman on each pp. I think maybe 1 or 2 teams currently use 2 dmen on their top pp? Not sure. Many do this for their second unit. If the Rangers did want to do this; however, the problem would be which dman could man the second unit?
Trouba

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Pp just needs Mika as a shooting threat, until he becomes one its pretty predictable that we are trying to feed it across to panarin. At its peak last year Zibanejad was hammering one timers or using Kreider as a screen on a wrist shot. Until Mika finds his shot or is replaced by another shooter, the pp is predictably gonna be predictable.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Zibanejad leads the team with 121:19 Power Play time. 80 shot attempts. 2 goals.

2019-20
upload_2021-3-23_20-8-43.png

2020-21
upload_2021-3-23_20-9-1.png

Last edited:

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I don't think Fox is the PP issue but I think keeping pucks moving quickly is more optimal than always slowing it down and letting the team set up their box. Poor use of the bumper and the down low areas to open up the bumper.
Pretty much agree with this. Fox should, in theory, have more power play points. He has elite vision, hockey sense, hands, puck control, and edge work. All of those are great assets to have as a PPQB. His biggest weaknesses, size and a lack of breakaway speed, are not necessary on the PP. However, he relies too much on his poise/patience, which, although it's extremely effective 5v5, isn't the ideal option on the power play. He also has a poor shot, which doesn’t help matters.

But even if he DOESN’T improve those things, we would be way more deadly if Zibanejad’s one-timer wasn’t this off and if we had better coaching. The issues with Fox are relatively small and I think he is still one of the league’s best d-men on the PP. I just think he could be even BETTER if he improves just a few small things.

Last edited:

Kg810

Sep 24, 2015
What does everyone think the 1PP will look like assuming Laf, Kakko and Kravtsov step up huge for next season?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He is passable I guess. Definitely doesn't hurt trying 2 dmen, especially in the beginning to make sure less shorthanded opportunities. Too bad it appears Nils won't be available until next season due to SHL playoffs and World Tournament.

You can simply not have a second PP unit as EDM/FLA basically do.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Fox has 12 PP points in 30 games, that’s bonkers (as well as 8th overall for defensemen).

Zibanejad has 2 PP goals on 80 shot attempts, and the PP2 unit doesn’t score.

That’s the beginning, middle, and end, of whatever Power Play “issues” have happened this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad