Speculation: Power Play Discussion

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
What does Connor offer other then the occasional goal right now? Nothing. He stands down low not sure what he’s supposed to do. There’s no proper rotation to give him a look shooting wise on the far side. He only ever beats a goalie in tight and those are rare occurrences. If there’s no movement he’s completely wasted there. Probably been the most improperly used player on our PP the last 2-3 years.

Well, he scored 9 on the PP LY - one less than Scheif and one more than Laine. And that's on a bad PP

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Well, he scored 9 on the PP LY - one less than Scheif and one more than Laine. And that's on a bad PP

Imagine what he’d do if he was in a more comfortable spot where he’s more of a trigger man.

And our PP wasn’t technically bad. It was 15th in the league. Now based off of what we all believe it could do then perhaps.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Im skeptical if Ehlers can pass like Wheeler to get it to Laine. Wheeler has been one of the more efficient passers in the league and one of the top rated play-makers. I also hate Pionk being the distirbutor at the top. you can have Laine and a LH Laine on both sides it doesn't matter. Pionk is just not good.

the problem is we do not have movement. Laine is static, Connor does nothing most of the time. And we do not have a threat of a shot at top so PKers can pressure Wheeler extensively and basically force him to make a very difficult pass cross-ice to Laine. Even if you put Ehlers there, it wont matter imo, nothing will be opened up with out some movement from the other Fwds, and Ehlers will *still* have to make a very difficult pass to LAine.

Ehlers' puck carrying brings movement though. Have him as the main puck carrier to create some movement among PKers, and Wheeler's passing to Scheifele or Laine. Wheeler's shot sucks, but he isn't shooting alot on the PP (he's 4th in PP Shots/60 on the team) so i don't think it's a huge deal. When you have Laine and Scheifele on the PP, they should be the main shooters, as they have been.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm referring to when he gets the puck - there are more things he can do than the one timer.
Sometimes the shot is not even there and he's taking a crack at it anyway - might even be impacting the shooting % drop.
I'd like to see him carry it (as noted earlier) - maybe open up the ice for others on the PP -

OK, got it.

In fairness, he doesn't always try the one timer. He makes some nice passes, often to Scheifele. But I agree, carrying the puck is one he should try more often.

Reactions: LowLefty

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
OK, got it.

In fairness, he doesn't always try the one timer. He makes some nice passes, often to Scheifele. But I agree, carrying the puck is one he should try more often.

He needs to watch Mackinnon in Colorado and start emulating some of what Nathan does on the PP. He walks it into the middle of the ice and shoots often. I would like to see Laine do the same.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Im skeptical if Ehlers can pass like Wheeler to get it to Laine. Wheeler has been one of the more efficient passers in the league and one of the top rated play-makers. I also hate Pionk being the distirbutor at the top. you can have Laine and a LH Laine on both sides it doesn't matter. Pionk is just not good.

the problem is we do not have movement. Laine is static, Connor does nothing most of the time. And we do not have a threat of a shot at top so PKers can pressure Wheeler extensively and basically force him to make a very difficult pass cross-ice to Laine. Even if you put Ehlers there, it wont matter imo, nothing will be opened up with out some movement from the other Fwds, and Ehlers will *still* have to make a very difficult pass to LAine.

Ehlers' puck carrying brings movement though. Have him as the main puck carrier to create some movement among PKers, and Wheeler's passing to Scheifele or Laine. Wheeler's shot sucks, but he isn't shooting alot on the PP (he's 4th in PP Shots/60 on the team) so i don't think it's a huge deal. When you have Laine and Scheifele on the PP, they should be the main shooters, as they have been.

I am not sure Ehlers would need to be as good a passer as Wheeler to be effective in that spot. Ehlers has a pretty powerful shot that he can use which will force teams to respect and plan for it. That should open up larger passing lanes to Laine.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Last year we suffered greatly by having a #1 powerplay for 110 seconds, and then a #2 for 10 seconds if they were lucky. i might be off by a few seconds, but I am trying to make a point. When Scheif + Laine went down in the Playoffs, you could see that we had no F'ing clue how to run a powerplay with whoever was out there - since they had so little time during the regular season.

With Stastny and the scoring talent we have on the wings, there should be no excuse not be running two solid powerplay line combinations. D will be a challenge, but we need to have more of a 1 2 punch on the power play.

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It would be kind of interesting to move Connor onto PP2.

Run it:

Harkins
KC - Roslovic (if he's here)- Ehlers
Morrissey

I could see that PP moving the puck way better than PP1 tbh. Ehlers and Connor can both shoot and pass off each wing, Roslo has a strong snap shot one timer, Morrissey can do a bit of everything. Harkins could be any of him/Perreault/Copp but I'd like to see Harkins get some offensive looks.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Thanks for your continued help in driving the conversation :thumbu:
Okay, if you want conversation:
Your analysis of what is wrong with our PP makes ZERO sense.
Saying that Laine is the problem because he is standing still and must get moving to get everything moving makes no sense.
Where is he supposed to move to?
The coaching is the problem. The players have obviously been told where to go and what to do on the PP. Is Laine supposed to skate and stand beside Scheifele? Or go stand in one of the corners? Or go next to Wheeler? That makes zero sense.
Also, saying he should pass the puck to Scheifele or Connor makes zero sense. Scheifele shoots right and would have no one-timer, while passing to Connor in the far corner is very low percentage.

I would love to see Ehlers in Wheeler's spot, but failing that, I'd have Wheeler initiate movement.
He can:
a) give and go with Connor.
b)give to Connor, drive the net, and let Connor walk out to shoot.
c) give to Connor, drive the net, and Connor can hit Scheifele.
d) give to Connor, drive the net, and Connor hitting Laine.

The options would be endless if Wheeler would give the puck and then go starting movement. Laine cannot initiate movement when he rarely has the puck.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Okay, if you want conversation:
Your analysis of what is wrong with our PP makes ZERO sense.
Saying that Laine is the problem because he is standing still and must get moving to get everything moving makes no sense.
Where is he supposed to move to?

The coaching is the problem. The players have obviously been told where to go and what to do on the PP. Is Laine supposed to skate and stand beside Scheifele? Or go stand in one of the corners? Or go next to Wheeler? That makes zero sense.
Also, saying he should pass the puck to Scheifele or Connor makes zero sense. Scheifele shoots right and would have no one-timer, while passing to Connor in the far corner is very low percentage.

I would love to see Ehlers in Wheeler's spot, but failing that, I'd have Wheeler initiate movement.
He can:
a) give and go with Connor.
b)give to Connor, drive the net, and let Connor walk out to shoot.
c) give to Connor, drive the net, and Connor can hit Scheifele.
d) give to Connor, drive the net, and Connor hitting Laine.

The options would be endless if Wheeler would give the puck and then go starting movement. Laine cannot initiate movement when he rarely has the puck.

Where should he move to?
There are a few options he could consider when he gets the puck - Maybe he could try driving to the net, maybe take it back to the point, take it behind the net or take it to the slot.
Those would be a few options that he might consider - because if he is going to stand there and wait, he'll simply attract attention and make it harder to get him the puck.

Teams had a real easy time figuring out our PP - all they need to do is cover the guy that is waiting - because they know he's the guy that they want to get the puck to. So, rather than trying to get the shot off in tight quarters, maybe take the pass and do something with the puck that they might not expect. He can throw the whole PK into turmoil if he takes the puck (and a checker or two) with him to other areas of the ice - that's what opens up lanes to other shooters or playmakers - Scheif in the slot, KC down low, even back to the point with him clogging up the crease area. He's the center of attention out there - he's the most obvious guy to try something a little different which likely means he will need to move.

Another discussion would be to completely change the PP and give everyone new assignments - I'm all for that but the point behind my post was - why isn't this version working and what could be done to change it up a bit without a complete over haul.

BTW, they are already doing all the things you pointed out (A thru D) and they've scored a few goals doing it - both Scheif and KC outscored Laine on the PP LY. Meanwhile, Laine's production is falling off despite the fact that he is still the PP's go to target out there. He has more options that could easily drive his production - he needs to be more than a "one timer" out there.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Where should he move to?
There are a few options he could consider when he gets the puck - Maybe he could try driving to the net, maybe take it back to the point, take it behind the net or take it to the slot.
Those would be a few options that he might consider - because if he is going to stand there and wait, he'll simply attract attention and make it harder to get him the puck.

Teams had a real easy time figuring out our PP - all they need to do is cover the guy that is waiting - because they know he's the guy that they want to get the puck to. So, rather than trying to get the shot off in tight quarters, maybe take the pass and do something with the puck that they might not expect. He can throw the whole PK into turmoil if he takes the puck (and a checker or two) with him to other areas of the ice - that's what opens up lanes to other shooters or playmakers - Scheif in the slot, KC down low, even back to the point with him clogging up the crease area. He's the center of attention out there - he's the most obvious guy to try something a little different which likely means he will need to move.

Another discussion would be to completely change the PP and give everyone new assignments - I'm all for that but the point behind my post was - why isn't this version working and what could be done to change it up a bit without a complete over haul.

BTW, they are already doing all the things you pointed out (A thru D) and they've scored a few goals doing it - both Scheif and KC outscored Laine on the PP LY. Meanwhile, Laine's production is falling off despite the fact that he is still the PP's go to target out there. He has more options that could easily drive his production - he needs to be more than a "one timer" out there.
we have put laine in the slot and scheif in laine's spot and did you see scheif driving to the net/slot? no he did the same thing as laine because that is the design of the power play so instead of saying laine needs to be doing this or that we should be talking about changing our power play up which only doesn't work because we lost our huge shot from the point and failed to change it

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
we have put laine in the slot and scheif in laine's spot and did you see scheif driving to the net/slot? no he did the same thing as laine because that is the design of the power play so instead of saying laine needs to be doing this or that we should be talking about changing our power play up which only doesn't work because we lost our huge shot from the point and failed to change it

I don't recall Scheif spending too much time in that spot - I can think of one game where they tried this out. It that the sample size you are referring to?
I do recall Scheif's role before Laine arrived and he was scoring from everywhere - one timers from the left side and the slot and he was going to the net or setting things up.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I don't recall Scheif spending too much time in that spot - I can think of one game where they tried this out. It that the sample size you are referring to?
I do recall Scheif's role before Laine arrived and he was scoring from everywhere - one timers from the left side and the slot and he was going to the net or setting things up.
him and laine have switched spots on the powerplay multiple times this year and both do the exact same thing it's by design

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Our boards obsession with our power play is unhealthy lol.

We were kind of 4th or 5th best with Buff in the previous two seasons and last year without Buff we slipped to 15th. Thing is it’s not really a big deal. Last year Toronto finishes 6th in the PP and gets 45 goals..... we finish 15th and get 42.

Hockey really is a 5v5 sport imo

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I don't recall Ehlers putting it that way. I only remember him turning it down. What player says no thanks to being on PP1? Seemed very strange.

He was offered the slot and was smart to turn it down. At Nikky's size it's a great way to get injured. Paul offered it because he was leading goal scorer at the time and even stated it was out of respect. I personally thought it was insulting as I'm sure Paul knew just as well as Ehlers that putting him there basically neutralises all his strengths while highlighting his weaknesses.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Surprised Stas isn't getting more attention. I'm pretty sure he is playing pp1 this upcoming season. Coaching will want him for faceoffs and another playmaker to set up Scheif/Laine. I'm fully expecting Connor to get pushed to PP2. Makes PP2 a hell of a lot stronger with Nikky and Connor as triggermen on either sides so hopefully they get more than the last 10 sec of pp's.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Our boards obsession with our power play is unhealthy lol.

We were kind of 4th or 5th best with Buff in the previous two seasons and last year without Buff we slipped to 15th. Thing is it’s not really a big deal. Last year Toronto finishes 6th in the PP and gets 45 goals..... we finish 15th and get 42.

Hockey really is a 5v5 sport imo
Tampa had the #2 PP in the league.
I'd like to think a strong PP can make the difference in alot of games, particularly in the playoffs.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
PP1..
Scheif Laine (point) Ehlers KC Stastny

PP2...
Wheeler Roslo JMo MP Harkins

PK1...
Lowry Copper DeMelo Slamberg

PK2...
Apples Roslo JMo Poolman
I like it.

How about:
PP#1 Scheif in the slot, Wheeler low left side, Connor low right side, Lowry at top of crease, JoMo along the point.
PP#2 Laine in the slot, Ehlers half wall right side, Stastny low right side, Roslovic far left side, Pionk up top.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I like it.

How about:
PP#1 Scheif in the slot, Wheeler low left side, Connor low right side, Lowry at top of crease, JoMo along the point.
PP#2 Laine in the slot, Ehlers half wall right side, Stastny low right side, Roslovic far left side, Pionk up top.
Rather than gift our current PP#1 with 1:30 of the PP even if they suck, create a little in house competition with hopefully 2 formidable PP units.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad