Speculation: Power Play Discussion

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The current setup needs Wheeler out of there as the main passer on the side wall. Way too predictable, no threat to shoot, way too stationary. Get Connor, Ehlers, or Stastny there as a left hand shot threat and passer.
Nah, he just needs a threat from the blueline as an option. He did just fine on the half wall when he did, he hasn't forgot how to pass a puck. I agree with the shot part though, that needs to be an element without the point option.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Well he is the captain and highest paid player so he is a mainstay on it for the time being. He also performed well in that role 17 through end of 19 when he had an additional shot threat in Buff. Now I think we need to try something different in that role. I wouldnt even be opposed to trying Scheifele there and moving to slot to act as a high tip threat.
Ding Ding Ding. It's amazing the shit Wheeler takes in here considering the production level he has had. Not a good passer, lmfao! (not directed at you).

Nothing wrong with looking for options but a scoring threat from the half wall isn't going to solve all their problems, defenses will adjust. The best PP's in the league have multiple threats, the Jets arguably have those threats but I agree they aren't being utilized in the current formation.

I've advocated for Wheeler to be more of a net front presence for awhile, I don't think the goal line option Connor sits in is all that well utilized although that could change with Stastny. Ehlers is the most curious option from the half wall and as noted by many would help with zone entries. I also don't think they necessarily need the big shot from the point, someone who can walk the blueline and rotate would also work well. It's what Carlson does so well in Washington which is a big part in helping Ovie find separation a lot.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You want Connor moved to the Wheeler spot? Is that what you meant? I assume not the slot. I’m not sure about Connor on the half wall, unless we find a better option to QB the PP from the point, which we don’t right now. Personally I won’t be surprised to see PoMo put Stastny down low instead of Connor.

I understand we’re not finding anyone to replace Buff anytime soon. I’m just addressing the references to the Tampa PP setup being so amazing, when in reality it has more to do with personnel than anything, particularly Hedman.
If it takes Stastny on the PP to make it better i'm all for it. I don't care who's on the PP as long as it's better than last season, well maybe not Thompson. :laugh:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
what was our PP stats pre and post stastny un 2017-2018? any noticeable difference?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
KC in Wheeler's spot, Scheif in Laine's, Ehlers low beside the net, Wheeler in front of the net and you know who at the point. Bazinga!
Not really responding to you, but jumping in here, I think I’d kind of like to not see everyone have a ‘spot’. We have very creative players and on the PP we have one more of them. The last thing we should be doing is standing in spots.

I could see Ehlers or someone skating from their spot to the blue line around to the other side, mixing everyone up and making the PK miss an assignment opening somone up.

Reactions: bennylundholm

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Not really responding to you, but jumping in here, I think I’d kind of like to not see everyone have a ‘spot’. We have very creative players and on the PP we have one more of them. The last thing we should be doing is standing in spots.

I could see Ehlers or someone skating from their spot to the blue line around to the other side, mixing everyone up and making the PK miss an assignment opening somone up.
Just watched an Avalanche PP against the Jets from last season.
It was crazy good! The Jets literally could not get the puck out of their zone.
Burakovsky on his off wing right boards, Mackinnon off wing left boards, Donskoi high slot, Rantanen top off crease Makar at the blueline.
The key was Burakovsky running it and being a threat to shoot at any time from his off wing and Rantanen screening the goalie.
We have Wheeler with little threat to shoot and Connor staying in the corner.
I love Wheeler's work ethic but PoMo's placement of Wheeler on the PP is brutal.
Wheeler needs to drive the net and dish the puck for movement to start.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Burakovsky on his off wing right boards, Mackinnon off wing left boards, Donskoi high slot, Rantanen top off crease Makar at the blueline.
The key was Burakovsky running it and being a threat to shoot at any time from his off wing and Rantanen screening the goalie.
I love Wheeler's work ethic but PoMo's placement of Wheeler on the PP is brutal.

So I guess this is the best of all worlds - the " 1:3:1 " but with highly skilled players that have spent some time being coached up by a knowledgeable coach as to what they were trying to accomplish as a group, and the multiplicity of options open to them. And I`ll bet you saw a considerable amount of actual player movement including temporary switching of positions as well. I do believe the Jet`s have the personnel to execute this type of PP - perhaps not quite at Colorado`s level, but sufficient to cause a lot of grief. Laine off wing left boards, Connor on his off wing right boards, Scheifele in the slot,Wheeler top of crease and Morrissey at blueline. - man,Id luv to see it tried at least to see if we can`t make it work.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
So I guess this is the best of all worlds - the " 1:3:1 " but with highly skilled players that have spent some time being coached up by a knowledgeable coach as to what they were trying to accomplish as a group, and the multiplicity of options open to them. And I`ll bet you saw a considerable amount of actual player movement including temporary switching of positions as well. I do believe the Jet`s have the personnel to execute this type of PP - perhaps not quite at Colorado`s level, but sufficient to cause a lot of grief. Laine off wing left boards, Connor on his off wing right boards, Scheifele in the slot,Wheeler top of crease and Morrissey at blueline. - man,Id luv to see it tried at least to see if we can`t make it work.
The really odd part is when the Jets PP was really at the top of its game couple years ago, they did a lot of this, particularly Scheifele and Laine.

I think it’s high time they get Morrissey on that number one unit. The only talent deficiency the Jets PP has relative to Colorado is Makar. I think they get to hung up on the RHS being in that spot. Just put the better player there.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Laine stans wanting Wheeler off of the halfwall and even entirely from PP1 seems eerily similar to me from back when they used to come for Buff "being awful" on the PP for "not passing to Laine enough" and "taking too many shots" and Maurice for favoring the vet by constantly throwing Buff out on that unit. Yes that used to be a narrative here from some. Now that Buff is gone everyone realizes how important his role was on that unit. Be careful what you wish for. I am not saying they shouldn't try Wheeler at other spots in the PP just that my priors are heavily biased against it helping due to how so much of the "advice" driven by Laine supporters to boost his goals has not worked.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am not really that concerned with our power play we will be top 15 again this season. It’s really going to come down to our 5 on 5 play. That is where we sucked last season.

Reactions: DashingDane

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If Ves keeps up his hot play in Liga then perhaps you create a reverse first unit for our second unit when play starts.

Have JoMo up top
Have Ves on the Laine slot but on the opposite side
Have Conner in the Scheifele slot
Have Roslovic/Copp down low
Have Ehlers in the Wheeler slot

That is a second unit that could do some damage.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Very good point and it applies to more than the PP -
We are constantly comparing our PP, PK to other teams who have better pcs - in the case of both, the shortfall is D yet we want to implement a new system with the same players and our problems are solved.
And then it ends up on the coaches lap for not executing the new plan with the players that are likely unable to pull if off -
How about our players just play hard, trying to push the play into offensive zone with pressure on knowing they outnumber the opponent and look best option shot on net. Not thinking about specific setup or pressure to have to score because it is the power
play? Refreshingly boring but might improve a little in no extra pressure on themselves.
Okay, I concede it won't fly but...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Thought this was an interesting take on our PP's declining ability. It seems teams are pushing Laine further to the outside and he isn't getting as good of angles. Also indicates that the other Jets forwards aren't taking a good enough advantage of the extra attention Laine is getting.

With or without Patrik Laine, Winnipeg Jets have work to do on power play - TSN.ca

As mentioned in an earlier post I think in order to open things up we need a shooter in the Wheeler spot to keep defending teams honest. Nobody respects his shot and allow him to walk in and shoot while covering our prime shooters. A big point shot would help as well but that isn't going to be in the cards next season so we will have to devise some different tactics.

Reactions: JetsUK and ecolad

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Thought this was an interesting take on our PP's declining ability. It seems teams are pushing Laine further to the outside and he isn't getting as good of angles. Also indicates that the other Jets forwards aren't taking a good enough advantage of the extra attention Laine is getting.

With or without Patrik Laine, Winnipeg Jets have work to do on power play - TSN.ca

As mentioned in an earlier post I think in order to open things up we need a shooter in the Wheeler spot to keep defending teams honest. Nobody respects his shot and allow him to walk in and shoot while covering our prime shooters. A big point shot would help as well but that isn't going to be in the cards next season so we will have to devise some different tactics.

True on all counts. But we`ve talked about this before, haven`t we? Tactically, the PP seems to have forgotten it`s main objective- to get the defenders moving around until they get confused with coverage and essentially breakdown, or, collapse, and therefore leave someone uncovered. With the defenders over-shifting and spreading out from the getgo to minimize Laine`s effectiveness, it should be even easier for us to generate odd man attacks and break the coverages. Wheeler/Scheifele/Connor must do much more to aggressively attack the left side of the over-shifted defensive box ,so as to create improved scoring chances for the entire PP unit.

Reactions: surixon and JetsUK

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
You want Connor moved to the Wheeler spot? Is that what you meant? I assume not the slot. I’m not sure about Connor on the half wall, unless we find a better option to QB the PP from the point, which we don’t right now. Personally I won’t be surprised to see PoMo put Stastny down low instead of Connor.

I understand we’re not finding anyone to replace Buff anytime soon. I’m just addressing the references to the Tampa PP setup being so amazing, when in reality it has more to do with personnel than anything, particularly Hedman.
You're right. There's no way Stastny takes Connor's spot on the top PP.
Connor's developed into a 40 goal scorer last season and scores in tight. The only reason it was Stastny there in 2018 was because Connor hadn't developed into the player he is today.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Connor's developed into a 40 goal scorer last season and scores in tight. The only reason it was Stastny there in 2018 was because Connor hadn't developed into the player he is today.

If Laine gets traded, the PP changes completely -
Add Ehlers on the left side and now you have an option that can shoot, take it to the slot or the net. He's able to get the whole thing rotating and that is when you will see the box break down - the first instinct for a defender when movement makes it more complicated, is to start chasing the puck carrier. Now, for the first time in probably 2 years, you will see Scheif open up and be in a position to take a pass or flip places with Ehlers. KC will now have an opportunity to get things going behind the net with multiply moving targets, and Wheels can stop being the pivot because we no longer need one.
Puck movement will improve significantly which is the issue right now.

Reactions: JetsUK and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Add Ehlers on the left side and now you have an option that can shoot, take it to the slot or the net. He's able to get the whole thing rotating and that is when you will see the box break down - the first instinct for a defender when movement makes it more complicated, is to start chasing the puck carrier. Now, for the first time in probably 2 years, you will see Scheif open up and be in a position to take a pass or flip places with Ehlers. KC will now have an opportunity to get things going behind the net with multiply moving targets, and Wheels can stop being the pivot because we no longer need one.

I agree if Laine is moved the PP looks miles different.

Anyone rember where Conner set up in College?

I know Ehlers played a lot in the Wheeler spot in the Q.

Scheifele I think can do multiple different tasks so I would let him roam a bit on the pp depending on what is given by the opposition. I would like to see him like Mackinnon non on the right where he is more looking to walk his shot into the slot.

Reactions: LowLefty

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Good post -- nice to see silver linings for a change. One advantage with Nik, as you mention, is that he's dangerous on either wing and can rip it without much setup -- and there aren't many PKers in the league that he wouldn't be able to catch on a back-check.

I can see a PP with 27, 55 and 81 offering a lot of options in terms of shooting and movement, especially with a more mobile setup from the point. And both KC and 55 are absolutely lethal in tight. which lessens our dependence on the perfect threaded pass.

Reactions: LowLefty

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
...............____
..............|.........|
.............Connor

..............Scheif
....................................Ehlers
Laine
..................Niku/Morrissey/Pionk

Make PP2 Wheeler/Roslo/Stastny/the remaining two defensemen. Stastny was great in the bumper spot/in front of the net. If nothing else this would force Maurice use both units equally instead of using PP1 for the entirety of the power play all the time which I think would immediately be a big plus.

EDIT: Well that didn't format the way I wanted to. I'm sure it's obvious what I was going for but I'll clean it up.

EDIT2: That's all the effort I care to put in.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

The Avalanche had a worse powerplay than the Jets last season....

Reactions: 10Ducky10

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
I loved the way Stastny played behind the net for us, It was Gretzkyess. He should definitely be on the #1 power play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad