Potential Top 5 Picks Surprise Picks???

13o13

Apr 12, 2007
Do you think that Turris and Van Riemsdyk could drop to 4th and 5th overall?:help:
Or they are lock to top3?

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Interesting a Habs fan rates second tier 8-12, when Habs have 12th pick and oh, coincidentally the Leafs pick 13th!
In my opinion there are 6-8 players that are close to certain to go in the top 10...then it's wide open.

:biglaugh: Its a conspiracy I tell ya. Wow, gettin' a bit paranoid there. I agree that after the top 10, it's pretty much a crap shoot and the scouts get to show their knowledge of the draft.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
Well i was sure that Van Riemsdyk was a lock in the top 3, if it's not top 2, well maybe i'm wrong. Anyways, we'll see in june at columbus.

I don't think he is. I don't think Chicago will pick JVR. A lot of people seem to think the Flyers will take him, and if Clarke was still the GM I would agree but since Homer took over I'm not that sure they'll be taking him. The 'yotes I have no idea.

toastman344*

I'm no expert but...I really like JVR & I would take him second after Kane...if I was doing the drafting...

I also thought Esposito looked very good in the u-18's....He looked better than Turris to me...I agree with those who say that Espo's back at least close to the top 5...

Probably, Cherapanov's gonna go top 5...but #5 at a guess...not top 3

TexasOiler

Mar 7, 2006
Interestingly, when the Oilers' brass have been discussing the draft with media etc., they seem to also ignore Cherepanov while talking up others, such as Gagner. It's possible that this is just some kind of smokescreen on the part of the Oilers, but it's also somewhat possible that Cherepanov could fall past #6.

It is highly doubtful that this, in particular, is a smokescreen; everything about Cherepanov screams not an Oilers pick, starting with his being Russian. So, barring a trade, I agree: if he makes it to #6, it is likely he makes it to #7.

Mr_Jones*

Well Phoenix is drafting @ 3, and they'll take their usual crazy-ass pick.

I always get a kick out of this list. Phoenix Coyotes 1st Rd picks:
1996: Dan Focht
1997: :(
1998: Patrick DesRochers
1999: Scott Kelman
2000: Krys Kolanos
2001: Fredrik Sjostrom
2002: Jakub Koreis
2003: Blake Wheeler
2004: :(

05/06: Admittedly, Hanzal and Mueller were solid picks. But no one can be sure how long that'll last.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006

05/06: Admittedly, Hanzal and Mueller were solid picks. But no one can be sure how long that'll last.

let me guess. phoenix does not have the same head scout as they had in 96?? lol.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I see JVR being taken second overall by the Flyers, although I can also see them taking Alzner.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
As I see it, Kane and Turris are locked in the top 3...then ts between Voracek and Van Riemsdyk(JVR first on my list...but not by much)...so yeah, Van Riemsdyk is not assured to be a top 3...but he's sure to be top 4 I think.

I seriously think the top 6 is set in stone with only turris, voracek and JVR swapping places..

1. Kane
2. Turris
3. JVR
4. Voracek
5. Cherepanov
6. Alzner

Then, I would think Gagner would be drafted and then maybe esposito...but It's not as sure...

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

Aside from the fact that the entire scouting department has been turned over since (I think) 2000, only Wheeler was really off the board, and even he has shown himself to have been worthy of the pick (at least so far). Even after the fact, Kolanos looked like a stud until his concussion, Sjostrom has shown flashes despite being misused, and Hanzal and Mueller tore up the WHL this year. And that's not to mention a big handful of later round guys who are looking pretty good. Obviously the results have yet to speak for themselves, but the future looks bright and the Coyotes scouting department is no more likely to make a "crazy-ass" pick than anyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad