Potential PP and PK Units

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think we have finally added some pieces to help out our horrid special teams. We have the personnel to run the umbrella now and that should help out our PP, I think one unit could run overload on one side but I only like that with a lot of same handed shots on the unit. I would rather the 5th forward play higher in slot area instead of two guys in front in the umbrella style PP.

PP1
Laine, Schief, Buff, Ehlers, Wheeler
Laine on left half wall, Buff at the point, Ehlers right half wall, Schief slot area for redirects and quick relase shots, Wheeler in front of the net where he belongs. Trigger guy being Laine here. I really wish we had a good LHD to go with this unit, thought of MP at top with 5 forwards but don't like that.

PP2
Little, MP, Connor, Staff, Trouba/Myers
Little left half wall, Connor right half wall, Trouba/Myers at the top and MP in slot area for redirects from right side. Trigger guy being Connor here.

PK1
Scheif Wheeler
Enstrom Myers
PK2
Little Matthias
Trouba Buff
PK3
Burmi Copp/Howden/Armia

Im not as sure what they will do here in this department TBH. I know the D's will probably have Stu in there which pains me to death.

What's the thoughts here folks?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Scheifele will not get both #1 pp and #1 pk minutes. I don't think Scheifele will PK much at all truthfully, Little, Wheeler, Burmistrov and Mathias will be our main PK forwards likely

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think we have finally added some pieces to help out our horrid special teams. We have the personnel to run the umbrella now and that should help out our PP, I think one unit could run overload on one side but I only like that with a lot of same handed shots on the unit. I would rather the 5th forward play higher in slot area instead of two guys in front in the umbrella style PP.

PP1
Laine, Schief, Buff, Ehlers, Wheeler
Laine on left half wall, Buff at the point, Ehlers right half wall, Schief slot area for redirects and quick relase shots, Wheeler in front of the net where he belongs. Trigger guy being Laine here. I really wish we had a good LHD to go with this unit, thought of MP at top with 5 forwards but don't like that.

PP2
Little, MP, Connor, Staff, Trouba/Myers
Little left half wall, Connor right half wall, Trouba/Myers at the top and MP in slot area for redirects from right side. Trigger guy being Connor here.

PK1
Scheif Wheeler
Enstrom Myers
PK2
Little Matthias
Trouba Buff
PK3
Burmi Copp/Howden/Armia

Im not as sure what they will do here in this department TBH. I know the D's will probably have Stu in there which pains me to death.

What's the thoughts here folks?

I don't think Scheif, Wheeler or Little should spend much time on the PK. I'd prefer to have forwards like Burmi, Copp, Armia and Lowry. As long as they play any D other than Stuart, they'll be better. Howden is a long-shot to make the roster at all.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree about PK ice, but what's the thoughts about the PP units?

I like the PP units. I think the half-board players should be Laine / Ehlers and Little / Connor. The other two forwards should be Scheifele / Wheeler and Perreault / Stafford. I wouldn't mind seeing Armia on the 2nd PP, especially if Stafford isn't around. If Petan makes the line-up, pencil him in to the 2nd PP. I prefer Trouba over Myers on the PP2, but I doubt that Maurice goes that way. He sees Trouba as a PKer and Myers as a PPer.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
PP Units.

Laine and Buff will be split as both likely are the point shot options on their respective units:

PP unit one:

Buff Ehlers

Scheifele

Wheeler Perrault

PP unit two:

Laine Morrissey (Need a dmen to play with Laine of the point and I prefer it to be a LS)

Little Perrault
Stafford

Ideally Conner replaces Stafford at some point.

PK:

Burmie Armia
Enstrom Trouba

Mathias Copp/Lowry
Buff Myers

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
PP Units.

Laine and Buff will be split as both likely are the point shot options on their respective units:

PP unit one:

Buff Ehlers

Scheifele

Wheeler Perrault

PP unit two:

Laine Morrissey (Need a dmen to play with Laine of the point and I prefer it to be a LS)

Little Perrault
Stafford

Ideally Conner replaces Stafford at some point.

PK:

Burmie Armia
Enstrom Trouba

Mathias Copp/Lowry
Buff Myers

But wouldn't you want Laine in the Ovi Stamkos spot on the left half wall for the one T and Buff as the one point man at the top? Don't need to D's with that, the only worry is Buff's lackadaisical play at the top at times. But Buff could still blast them with Ehlers feeding him off the right half wall.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
PP Units.

I don't think so. Laine will set up on the left circle and Byfuglien will play at the top of an umbrella formation. We've never run that version of a powerplay before but I think it's the best way to maximize who should be our two biggest PP producers

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I expect they'll split up Buff and Laine, not because it wouldn't work (it'd be extremely challenging for the pk to take away both those options) but because the second unit would be too weak

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think so. Laine will set up on the left circle and Byfuglien will play at the top of an umbrella formation. We've never run that version of a powerplay before but I think it's the best way to maximize who should be our two biggest PP producers

I would set Laine up there as well but I dislike the idea of Buff playing the top with Laine due to him being a right shot. You effectively are telling the other team that the plan is for Laine's one timer as Buff is not a threat for a one timer if he's playing catch with Laine on the PP. I would prefer a LS at the top of the umbrella as the LS would pose a threat to shoot as well.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I would set Laine up there as well but I dislike the idea of Buff playing the top with Laine due to him being a right shot. You effectively are telling the other team that the plan is for Laine's one timer as Buff is not a threat for a one timer if he's playing catch with Laine on the PP. I would prefer a LS at the top of the umbrella as the LS would pose a threat to shoot as well.

But Buff can still be a shooting threat from a pass on the other side where he can still have a one T. Or if he gets it from Laine he can still get half slapper away.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But Buff can still be a shooting threat from a pass on the other side where he can still have a one T. Or if he gets it from Laine he can still get half slapper away.

I'm sure you could come up with something with both on the same unit. But I think having both on the same unit is having too much of the same skill set.

When I watch the Caps pp it works really well because Carlson is a good QB from the top of the umbrella. He is very good at moving the puck quickly around if the Oviedo shot isn't there. One thing I don't like about Buff is that he isn't a particularly great QB with regards to making quick reads and passes. He's a phenomenal trigger man that really shouldn't be miscast as the PP QB at the top of the umbrella. It will be interesting to see what we run with in the fall though.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Byfuglien can shoot well enough from that he can score from the blue line right side especially if he has traffic in front which he will from Wheeler and Scheifele. If the defenders leave Laine open Buff can pass the puck well enough to get it to Laine or the defenders will have to give Buff room to get off his full shot.

It's the same set up as Washington except that Byfuglien is a better PP option than Carlson. Remeber the year Green scored 31 goals with 18 on the PP? Byfuglien could really take advantage of the space Laine will likely open up for him. Not having a LS QB like Backstrom really hurts our PP the most. Maybe Perrault will play top PP

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I expect they'll split up Buff and Laine, not because it wouldn't work (it'd be extremely challenging for the pk to take away both those options) but because the second unit would be too weak

Not if we score in the first 20 seconds every single time !!!!

:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

KevEggs

Jul 4, 2016
New York
PP1:

Wheeler
Perreault
Laine
Connor
Byfuglien

With this pp they could run an umbrella with Laine the main option but Connor and Byfuglien are big shooters too so teams can't cheat to one side. Perreault is in the slot for puck distribution purposes and the giant is in front of the net.

PP2:

Little
Trouba/Myers
Morrissey/Enstrom
Scheifele
Ehlers

This is a deadly number 2 powerplay which is what Winnipeg needs as their pp last year was atrocious. With this squad, Both defensemen will be at the point with Ehlers and Little looking to cycle and move the puck. They will mainly look to Ehlers for a shot, and Scheifele will be in front of the net looking for the garbage. They can also shift the defenseman down more for a one timer.

PK1:

Copp Burmistrov

Enstrom Myers

PK2:

Little Wheeler

Stuart Trouba

PK3:

Matthias Thorburn

Winnipeg's PK needs to get better, and I liked Copp and Burmistrov last year and they will get better with age and experience. The reason I have no Scheifele here is because they want to save him for his offensive ability but you could easily interchange him with anyone here. Maybe a new style of PKing, perhaps a more aggresive approach, could improve the efficiency this year.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
PP1

Laine
Buff
Scheifele
Wheeler
Ehlers

PP2

Little
MP