Pre-Game Talk: Potential P-Word Preview: Montreal Canadiens @ Toronto Maple Leafs | Saturday Apr. 13

SteveV*

Kessel is now 12th in league for scoring under Carlyle, where many expected a significant drop off. Couple this with 6th in scoring last year, and he is easily the least appreciated talent Toronto has seen in sometime. As well, people will note this year he is well ahead of his line mates in points. We may have lost that trade but not as much as the mythology now assumes. Kessel is a legit top ten type scorer in the NHL, which we all would have gladly taken when the trade was made. Just sayin.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Kessel is now 12th in league for scoring under Carlyle, where many expected a significant drop off. Couple this with 6th in scoring last year, and he is easily the least appreciated talent Toronto has seen in sometime. As well, people will note this year he is well ahead of his line mates in points. We may have lost that trade but not as much as the mythology now assumes. Kessel is a legit top ten type scorer in the NHL, which we all would have gladly taken when the trade was made. Just sayin.

I don't even care about the trade now that Ron Wilson and his BS hockey is gone.

I knew Kessel could adapt. 30 goal, PPG forwards can play in all systems...they are not successful because of some type of systems. They make systems successful.

IMO, there is still so much more for Kessel in the future. I don't see any reason why he can't be a 90 point player...people forget the guy is only 25...and only Malkin and Kessel have been top 15 in goals and assists in the last two season.

We gave up a lot, but we got the best player out of the trade. With Kadri developing at center and Morgan Rielly with the Marlies, I have zero problem with what we ended up giving.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

He's got a good chance at hitting the 50+ point mark. Got 24 points in the past 18 games

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Mike Strobel Toronto Sun ..Hab fans are the worst.

Today we talked to Mike Stobel from the Toronto Sun about the importance of the, return of the playoffs to city of Toronto. When asked which player he hated most all time he response "Hab fans". Mike is a true Leafs fan who tells it like he sees it, and a great guest.

MP3
http://podalmighty.com/index.php/component/k2/item/169-leaf-matters

itunes
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/leaf-matters/id577173646?mt=2

th

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Impressed with Kessel. He did this mostly without Lupul as well. I think because JVR is more of a shooter, he adapted. Coach likes the big body in front of the net, so some goals from seasons past turned into assists off reflections etc. When he leaves fans will be pining for his pure offensive talents. Best goal scorer since Leaf version Mogilny and Andreychuck.

Hope he lights up the Habs for a few.

MrLegend28*

what are dougie hamilton and seguin doing again that makes them so much better? Pretty sure if you add their points up it is the same as kessels lol. If Seguin was here we'd probably be worse as Seguin wouldnt be scoring those GWG's Kessel is.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
I don't even care about the trade now that Ron Wilson and his BS hockey is gone.

I knew Kessel could adapt. 30 goal, PPG forwards can play in all systems...they are not successful because of some type of systems. They make systems successful.

IMO, there is still so much more for Kessel in the future. I don't see any reason why he can't be a 90 point player...people forget the guy is only 25...and only Malkin and Kessel have been top 15 in goals and assists in the last two season.

We gave up a lot, but we got the best player out of the trade. With Kadri developing at center and Morgan Rielly with the Marlies, I have zero problem with what we ended up giving.

He was supposed to be one dimensional sniper until now , I have been absolutely stunned by his playmaking this year, never thought I'd ever be yelling at my TV "shoot the effing puck Phil". The Bozak quandary continues to intrigue as Kessel evolves, what could happen with a top center? Maybe it's Kadri?

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

I still don't think the Leafs lost that trade... Kessel still is the best player in the trade and improving his game each year. Leaf fans are crying over nothing Seguin isn't Toews quality 2 way player and Kessel is hands down more offensively gifted. Hamilton is no stud, 2nd pairing D men at best. Around these parts the cart gets put before the horse all the time with young hyped jr players coming from the draft it's been 4 years now and I'm still waiting for this significant loss from that trade for it to put Kessel beneath either player Boston got with the Leafs picks

Boston got fair value for what was there teams most dangerous and gifted offensive young player just 21 years of age when the trade happen who's gone on to become one of the games elite offensive players in the game for the Leafs.

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
Today we talked to Mike Stobel from the Toronto Sun about the importance of the, return of the playoffs to city of Toronto. When asked which player he hated most all time he response "Hab fans". Mike is a true Leafs fan who tells it like he sees it, and a great guest.

MP3
http://podalmighty.com/index.php/component/k2/item/169-leaf-matters

itunes
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/leaf-matters/id577173646?mt=2

th

great interview

"what player do you hate the most"?

"I hate Habs fans"

Megaforce

Habs fan here. I find it hard to dislike the Leafs mainly cuz this board has a lot of good humoured, positive fans even in dark times, that always impressed me.

Glad to see the Leafs are in the playoffs this year.

Habs have had a great season largely because of three solid lines competing against each other, plus a solid defence that contains two of the top four point-getting defencemen.

Mtl's goaltending has been good but not out-of-this world good, so there's a chance Toronto can score some if they get shots on net.

edwardslane

Aug 6, 2010
Big game for the leafs.. 5 of our remaining 8 teams are against playoff teams.. Luckily it's against teams we've done well against this year.

Montreal we're 2-1 play them twice
Sens we're 3-1 play them once
Caps we play once 2-0 vs them but they're coming on..
Islanders we're 1-1?

then florida, tampa, New jersey left as non playoff teams...

We're definitely not in yet.. the biggest games IMO are against Ottawa and the Islanders as they're teams that can leap frog us.. winning both games at home to montreal would go a long ways in making sure we play them in the first round and keep our 5th spot!

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
what are dougie hamilton and seguin doing again that makes them so much better? Pretty sure if you add their points up it is the same as kessels lol. If Seguin was here we'd probably be worse as Seguin wouldnt be scoring those GWG's Kessel is.

Hamilton was a healthy scratch last game vs the Islanders.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Lol the graphics hardly change greatly from the previous year. The difference will be in the actual gameplay, which we won't know for a while, though a trailer is being released on the 15th.

Don't worry. I'm going to guess we'll have the same ****ing commentary 6 years in a row. Maybe add a stupid line like "what a shot!". "No way the goalie saw that!".

Wish they'd put new guys for that. Anyone else. Hell, make Pierre McGuire and Gord Miller do it. I'd be down. Cuthbert from TSN too. Hell, at this point even Jack Edwards.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Don't worry. I'm going to guess we'll have the same ****ing commentary 6 years in a row. Maybe add a stupid line like "what a shot!". "No way the goalie saw that!".

Wish they'd put new guys for that. Anyone else. Hell, make Pierre McGuire and Gord Miller do it. I'd be down. Cuthbert from TSN too. Hell, at this point even Jack Edwards.

Yeah it's weird cause Thorne hasn't done NHL play-by-play since pre-05 lockout.

Honestly though he was one of the best so I don't mind it. As long as it's not Jim Hughson.

Chris Cuthbert would be cool though, he's the best in the biz

beleaf67

Mar 2, 2013
Ottawa Valley
looks the same to me...

I wish they would put more effort into the crowd.

I agree, same goes with FIFA series (Euro guy talking :sarcasm:), Konami's PES has much better crowd than EA's Fifa series... just my $0.05...

Also too bad EA drop the ball and are not making NHL port on PC :shakehead I guess piracy was their excuse...

Problem is EA is the only who makes hockey video game (no competition)...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah it's weird cause Thorne hasn't done NHL play-by-play since pre-05 lockout.

Honestly though he was one of the best so I don't mind it. As long as it's not Jim Hughson.

Chris Cuthbert would be cool though, he's the best in the biz

I wouldn't mind Hughson, I don't like the anti-leaf stuff, but that wouldn't be in the game. However I agree, some sort of change for commentary. Even if they had like two teams. Thorne + whoever (forget his name) for like the weekday games, and Simpson + Hughes (since they have worked with EA before, it's the easy answer for EA) for like the Friday-Sunday games?

Or Hughes-Simpson do Canadian teams, while Thorne + whats his face do American...

I don't know how codes work if that is workable, but it would be nice.

Should we create a OT thread for this lol?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad