Potential Off Season Moves by the Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sign Shipachev, Move Galchenyuk to Wing, Keep Pleky for one more year, Negotiate for LV to take Emelin (with draft pick), Trade for Duchene in a package deal where the Aves can select from this list (Juulsen, Davidson, Gallagher, Lehkonen, McCarron, Scherbak, 1st round pick, 2nd round picks). No team is giving up guys like Sergachev so if the Avs want to trade Duchene, I bet no team in the NHL will have a better selection than what the Habs have to offer (or are willing to offer).

My best offer for Duchene would be this: Gallagher, Lehkonen, Juulsen, Davidson, Lindgren, 1st

Next years line-up:

Galchenyuk ($6.25M) / Duchene ($6M) / Radulov ($6.25M)
Patch ($4.5) / Shipachev ($3.5M) / Byron ($1.17M)
Danault ($0.91M) / Pleky ($6M) / Shaw ($3.9M)
Hudon ($0.63M) / Mitchell ($1.2M) / McCarron ($0.86M)
Carr ($0.73M)

Markov ($5.75M) / Weber ($7.86M)
Sergachev ($0.93M) / Petry ($5.5M)
Beaulieu ($3M) / Benn ($1.1M)
Nesterov ($0.9M)

Price ($6.5M)
Montoya ($1.06M)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
#1: get a centerman. One who can help Galchenyuk be the 2C OR one that will allow Galchenyuk to be moved to wing so we can be done with the hysteria because we have our 1C.

#2: get a LHD. We know we have Sergachev in the pipeline and closer to the NHL than not, but you can maybe be proactive and get one nonetheless. If Sergachev does crack the line-up, he can start as your 2LD or the other LD will be the 2LD with Sergachev on the top pair with Weber.

#3: extend the likes of Radulov, Galchenyuk, and Markov.

#4: make a deal with Vegas to select either Emelin or Plekanec.

#5: trade Beaulieu if you end up finding a LD as I mentioned in #2. He can also be tied to acquiring a centerman I talk about in #1.

neil2005

May 2, 2012
If I were to make a wager I'd say Galchenyuk and Beaulieu are traded at the draft or the week of the draft. Dreger was hinting this morning that if Chucky continues to struggle at C that he might be used as a trade chip tat the draft.

#1: get a centerman. One who can help Galchenyuk be the 2C OR one that will allow Galchenyuk to be moved to wing so we can be done with the hysteria because we have our 1C.

#2: get a LHD. We know we have Sergachev in the pipeline and closer to the NHL than not, but you can maybe be proactive and get one nonetheless. If Sergachev does crack the line-up, he can start as your 2LD or the other LD will be the 2LD with Sergachev on the top pair with Weber.

#3: extend the likes of Radulov, Galchenyuk, and Markov.

#4: make a deal with Vegas to select either Emelin or Plekanec.

#5: trade Beaulieu if you end up finding a LD as I mentioned in #2. He can also be tied to acquiring a centerman I talk about in #1.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
If I were to make a wager I'd say Galchenyuk and Beaulieu are traded at the draft or the week of the draft. Dreger was hinting this morning that if Chucky continues to struggle at C that he might be used as a trade chip tat the draft.

Can this be listened to anywhere...podcast or something?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
They should look at flipping Weber for a young d-man entering his prime while his value is still high.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Dreger is Eklund on TV..................he speculates more than people on this board...

MT couldn't develop Chucky in 4.5 seasons...........and now Clod has to in 4.5 weeks?

I am not saying you don't trade Chucky this offseason, if it could involve JT, but come on guys, leave the idiots like Dreger out of this stuff...

You could very well see Chucky hit his stride as we enter the playoffs!! Then everyone will be scared of the $$$ he wants in the offseason!! Ya can't win...;)

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Sign Shipachev, Move Galchenyuk to Wing, Keep Pleky for one more year, Negotiate for LV to take Emelin (with draft pick), Trade for Duchene in a package deal where the Aves can select from this list (Juulsen, Davidson, Gallagher, Lehkonen, McCarron, Scherbak, 1st round pick, 2nd round picks). No team is giving up guys like Sergachev so if the Avs want to trade Duchene, I bet no team in the NHL will have a better selection than what the Habs have to offer (or are willing to offer).

My best offer for Duchene would be this: Gallagher, Lehkonen, Juulsen, Davidson, Lindgren, 1st

Next years line-up:

Carr ($0.73M)

Nesterov ($0.9M)

Price ($6.5M)
Montoya ($1.06M)

I would certainly not pay that price for Duchene. And any deal involving Duchene must involve Plekanec in my opinion. Danault has to be the regular 3rd line C.

Also, why are people so sure that Shipachev is coming to Montreal? It seems like people are getting their hopes up based on nothing.

Finally, how do you see the parameters of Galchenyuk's contract at 6.25M$ AAV?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would certainly not pay that price for Duchene. And any deal involving Duchene must involve Plekanec in my opinion. Danault has to be the regular 3rd line C.

Also, why are people so sure that Shipachev is coming to Montreal? It seems like people are getting their hopes up based on nothing.

Finally, how do you see the parameters of Galchenyuk's contract at 6.25M$ AAV?

1) Definitely over payment for Duchene but it gets the deal done and gives the Habs a much needed proven center. Signing Shipachev also allows for Galchenyuk to move to the wing.

2) Shipachev to Montreal because it makes sense. Habs need depth at center and they have Russians who Shipachev can be around to make the transition to North America more easier.

3) Sign Galchenyuk for $6.25M AAV for 8 years. Get it done and you got a top line player long term at a fair price (don't care if he plays LW or C) . Compare that contract to others similar to his age and talent and it's a very fair deal. I would go as high as $6.75M if the negotiations get difficult. Lock him up long term.

4) Keep Pleky. If you have Duchene and Shipachev as your 1C and 2C. Pleky can be a very effective 3C. He also provides insurance in case Shipachev struggles in the NHL.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

That wouldn't surprised me even a little bit if both were moved this summer. MB has a big decision to make this summer regarding Galchenyuk and his contract. If they don't see him as a center going forward does he want to commit to Galchenyuk long term?

I'm surprised Beaulieu has even lasted this long as a Hab to be honest.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Galchenyuk will not be moved. Forget about it and don't listen to the "Ontario" market as they are only trying to create ratings and stories. It's a very dumb move and could be Seguin round 2. Lets not get confused with Galchenyuk and his ability to create offense on a team with lack of top 2 centers and lack of top 6 depth. Galchenyuk is a serious talent and is only entering his prime years now. Lock him up long term and MB will get it done.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You CANNOT trade Lindgren. I don't think we know exactly where we are heading with Carey.....to keep or not to keep. I don't think it's as clear as we love it to be. He has more value to us than to anybody else.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
1) Definitely over payment for Duchene but it gets the deal done and gives the Habs a much needed proven center. Signing Shipachev also allows for Galchenyuk to move to the wing.

2) Shipachev to Montreal because it makes sense. Habs need depth at center and they have Russians who Shipachev can be around to make the transition to North America more easier.

3) Sign Galchenyuk for $6.25M AAV for 8 years. Get it done and you got a top line player long term at a fair price (don't care if he plays LW or C) . Compare that contract to others similar to his age and talent and it's a very fair deal. I would go as high as $6.75M if the negotiations get difficult. Lock him up long term.

4) Keep Pleky. If you have Duchene and Shipachev as your 1C and 2C. Pleky can be a very effective 3C. He also provides insurance in case Shipachev struggles in the NHL.

I don't know about Plekanec. He has struggled mightily this season and I don't see him getting any better next year. In my opinion, if we hypothetically land Shipachev and he struggles, Danault would take over and perform at least at the same level as Plekanec. Keeping Danault on the wing is not an option in my opinion. You have a guy that will play here for years in him, you have to invest time in him. Not in a guy that would leave after the season.

As for Galchenyuk's deal, I guess that I would agree to that kind of deal as well. Especially if he has strong playoffs.

As for Shipachev, I really don't see him coming over here. If he does play in the NHL next season, it will probably be to a city that would be more appealing to someone who has probably never set foot in North America (100% speculation). Not considering the current lineups, but just the cities themselves, I could see him wanting to go to higher profile cities such as New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, Washington, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas...Anyway, just food for thought. Radulov was a different story since he had played and had success in the area.

As for Duchene, does he really put the Habs over the top though? I feel that people want badly based on reputation alone. I'm not convinced that he's the guy we need.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You CANNOT trade Lindgren. I don't think we know exactly where we are heading with Carey.....to keep or not to keep. I don't think it's as clear as we love it to be.

I would agree to some degree but it's not the end of the world if Lindgren is moved to acquire Duchene. McNiven is also a very solid prospect but will only be ready in 3+ years at the earliest. If Price leaves or demands a crazy contract, then you trade him for another young goalie and other pieces. Hate to see Price go but he would acquire some serious assets even if he's traded at the trade deadline. Many teams would step up and the Habs could allow for a sign and trade type deal. Hope Price wants to stay and try and win a Cup in Montreal though.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't know about Plekanec. He has struggled mightily this season and I don't see him getting any better next year. In my opinion, if we hypothetically land Shipachev and he struggles, Danault would take over and perform at least at the same level as Plekanec. Keeping Danault on the wing is not an option in my opinion. You have a guy that will play here for years in him, you have to invest time in him. Not in a guy that would leave after the season.

As for Galchenyuk's deal, I guess that I would agree to that kind of deal as well. Especially if he has strong playoffs.

As for Shipachev, I really don't see him coming over here. If he does play in the NHL next season, it will probably be to a city that would be more appealing to someone who has probably never set foot in North America (100% speculation). Not considering the current lineups, but just the cities themselves, I could see him wanting to go to higher profile cities such as New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, Washington, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas...Anyway, just food for thought. Radulov was a different story since he had played and had success in the area.

As for Duchene, does he really put the Habs over the top though? I feel that people want badly based on reputation alone. I'm not convinced that he's the guy we need.

Take a look at that roster I posted at the beginning? It's very solid! Yes, Pleky has taken a step back but it's only for one more year and you keep him for insurance kind of reasons in case Shipachev struggles. Pleky as your 3C with Danault and Shipachev as 1C and 2C would be the best we had in decades!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I would agree to some degree but it's not the end of the world if Lindgren is moved to acquire Duchene. McNiven is also a very solid prospect but will only be ready in 3+ years at the earliest. If Price leaves or demands a crazy contract, then you trade him for another young goalie and other pieces. Hate to see Price go but he would acquire some serious assets even if he's traded at the trade deadline. Many teams would step up and the Habs could allow for a sign and trade type deal. Hope Price wants to stay and try and win a Cup in Montreal though.

Don't agree. Tough to find goalies, so we would be a better team if we have our own in-house goalie and then you can trade Price for players outside of goaltending. More choices.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't agree. Tough to find goalies, so we would be a better team if we have our own in-house goalie and then you can trade Price for players outside of goaltending. More choices.

Easier to find goalies than top 2 centers or top pairing Defenseman. That would be a common believe and I also agree with it. If the Avs want Lindgren in a package deal where the Habs acquire Duchene and keep Sergachev and only lose Gallagher as part of the core. You make the trade! How did the Habs acquire Lindgren? Was it really that hard? NO

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Take a look at that roster I posted at the beginning? It's very solid! Yes, Pleky has taken a step back but it's only for one more year and you keep him for insurance kind of reasons in case Shipachev struggles. Pleky as your 3C with Danault and Shipachev as 1C and 2C would be the best we had in decades!

Keeping Plekanec has other repercussions though. Not only does it leave Danault on the wing whereas he needs the development time at C, but it also leaves Hudon to the 4th line. What's the point of making him play in a position where he has little chance of success? I reiterate, we need to invest playing time in the players that will play in the organization for years, not in an over-the-hill Plekanec.

As for your optimism about the chances of Bergevin locking up Galchenyuk long term, even if I would like to see it, I don't share the optimism. In my opinion, nothing points towards that happening. Hope I'm wrong though.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Keeping Plekanec has other repercussions though. Not only does it leave Danault on the wing whereas he needs the developping time at C, but it also leaves Hudon to the 4th line. What's the point of making him play in a position where he has little chance of success? I reiterate, we need to invest playing time in the players that will play in the organization for years, not in an over-the-hill Plekanec.

As for your optimism about the chances of Bergevin locking up Galchenyuk long term, even if I would like to see it, I don't share the optimism. In my opinion, nothing points towards that happening. Hope I'm wrong though.

Two choices. Let your players develop or be a top 5 cup contender and your players play where its best for the team. I get the concerns regarding Pleky but you trade Pleky to the Pens or any other team who has legit top 2 centers and Pleky can play 3C, he does very well. It's a matter of circumstance. Pleky gets extra heat because of the lack of depth at center. So does Galchenyuk. Imagine what Galchenyuk would of done if he had a proven center to play with? Lets not blame the players for the lack of depth up the middle.

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site

Next years line-up:

Carr ($0.73M)

Nesterov ($0.9M)

Price ($6.5M)
Montoya ($1.06M)

Really, all that fir a 45-50 point guy, we have Price to sign, Pacioretty. That fourth line is terrible as well, back to no grit in the lineup.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Two choices. Let your players develop or be a top 5 cup contender and your players play where its best for the team. I get the concerns regarding Pleky but you trade Pleky to the Pens or any other team who has legit top 2 centers and Pleky can play 3C, he does very well. It's a matter of circumstance. Pleky gets extra heat because of the lack of depth at center. So does Galchenyuk. Imagine what Galchenyuk would of done if he had a proven center to play with? Lets not blame the players for the lack of depth up the middle.

Not many contenders could fit Plekanec's salary under the cap though. I was saying to include him if there is a trade involving Duchene. I get your point about Plekanec playing well if put in the right role. The problem is that Danault can play a similar role in a similar quality. Also, Plekanec, while he did in a fairly recent past, does not make his linemates better or look better. Which is something that you want from centermen in general and something that Danault has done this season. He is the perfect fit for the 3rd line next season. I really don't see how Plekanec at the 3rd C position as opposed to Danault is what's best for this team at this point in time, let alone next season.

Bergevin really dropped the ball with Plekanec. He should have sold high on him last year instead of giving him that idiotic extension.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Beaulieu in and out of the lineup tells me Julien isn't a fan. He is probably gone in the summer. Help at C is of immediate concern. You have to decide what to do with Galchenyuk. If he becomes a 30 goal 60 point RW is that so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad