Post-Game Talk: Potential new coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
You don't see value in knowing that all options are explored?

But you never know when that is. You could wait until July to sign someone only for someone else to become available in August.

And if a GM has someone in mind who is available now, why wait?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
But you never know when that is. You could wait until July to sign someone only for someone else to become available in August.

And if a GM has someone in mind who is available now, why wait?
This hire is huge, they can't get it wrong.
I'm not saying wait months, I just don't see the need to rush into anything this week.

I get they will have a pretty good sense of who may be available down the road. If no one potentially available excites them then I'd agree, why wait.

Reactions: Tak7 and CincoHolio

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Do we move on Berube or do we wait on Brind’Amour? Waiting could mean we lose out on Berube AND Brind’Amour….tough decision

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
Or the Devils.
Good point.

2 years ago one of the best teams in the league, this year they had major injury issues. But take that job, you get Hischier and Jack Hughes that are still getting better on GREAT contracts, more young guys coming, some other vets still productive in their prime years...Dougie Hamilton coming back next year. If, IF Jersey can secure a goalie, I think that is the best available/possibly available job by far.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Do we move on Berube or do we wait on Brind’Amour? Waiting could mean we lose out on Berube AND Brind’Amour….tough decision

Berube has coached a team to a Cup in recent memory and is the type of coach we could use now, IMO. I don't see why we should wait on maybe for a guy who's had a few playoff disappointments under his belt in recent years.

Brind'Amour is a good coach but his elevation to mythological status is a little too much IMO. I'm somewhat reminded of how star struck we were over the Babcock situation and weary of that situation again.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Berube has coached a team to a Cup in recent memory and is the type of coach we could use now, IMO. I don't see why we should wait on maybe for a guy who's had a few playoff disappointments under his belt in recent years.

Brind'Amour is a good coach but his elevation to mythological status is a little too much IMO. I'm somewhat reminded of how star struck we were over the Babcock situation and weary of that situation again.
I think the Brindamour allure is he was the type of player people here can identify with, wish we had more of and Carolina plays the type of game that people wish we saw more often here.

Reactions: CincoHolio

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Friedman just said on the radio that there's a rumour around that Berube turned down Ottawa for a better situation/higher dollars elsewhere.

That SCREAMS Toronto, IMO.
It's either Toronto or NJ.

I think the Brindamour allure is he was the type of player people here can identify with, wish we had more of and Carolina plays the type of game that people wish we saw more often here.
This is exactly it. He has also gotten a lot of out of a roster that hasn't had the same level of high end talent that the Leafs have had up front or Tampa or Florida etc

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I would throw the bag at RBA , but all things point to he doesnt want to leave Carolina
but that would be perfect balance of players coach who is hard nosed and commands RESPECT
anyone who doesnt listen to him or wants to try would gtfo

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
elliote today update

Andlauer says he wants “best in class” ends up going cheap. What? Is Melnyk not really dead?
heard their books r toast

Reactions: WillNy29

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
All the smoke regarding Berube is the same smoke Treliving from last off-season. Like I mentioned earlier the optics of changing coaches within a few days seems off to me but if they think he's the guy, why delay it? It doesn't seem like any other coaches will be let go and the current crop of coaches is rather slim to say the least.

Sharks apparently are in on Woodcroft, or he's high on their list I think. Blues hired Bannister as their full time coach. Only NJD is still without a coach, and soon to be the Leafs obviously.
How is changing coach’s after a few days “off” to you? If you’re going to change the coach then you do it as soon as possible so they can start getting to work and getting to know everyone else etc. What’s the sense in waiting if you know you’re hiring a new coach….

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The way to fix our problems is we need more staff. I would propose.

Leafs have...

President
Vice President
Chief of Staff
General Manager
4x Assistant GMs
Double the Coaching staff.
Double the current medical staff and trainers.

If MLSE follows this guidance. I am certain a much more cohesive team will be assembled. A winning team.

;)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How is changing coach’s after a few days “off” to you? If you’re going to change the coach then you do it as soon as possible so they can start getting to work and getting to know everyone else etc. What’s the sense in waiting if you know you’re hiring a new coach….

Because you still have a long time before the draft, which is the unofficial start of the off-season. That's a month away. You should still ask, interview and look at all your options. Treliving was their guy last year and they still waiting a good month before hiring him.

But if they are 100% sure Berube is their guy, then waiting is obviously pointless.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018

Blues fan here. I’d definitely agree there is more blame to be put on Armstrong than Berube. As a matter of fact, I put little to no blame on Berube. This could also be a mercy firing preparing for a full blown rebuild on the other hand. Time will tell, but one thing is for sure, Armstrong definitely has some bad contracts that have come back to haunt him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad