Post-Game Talk: Potential new coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Claude Julien is perfect for the leafs. He imposes discipline, demands physical play, teaches fundamentals, holds his stars responsible, can do more with less with his defensive structure, and best of all HE WON A CUP (13 years ago)

Believe me, I'm not being serious. I'm mostly just poking fun at the criteria you guys use.

Reactions: baton elevated

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Friedman confirms Leafs' interest in Stanley Cup winning coach​

One of the most recently mentioned names in connection with the Maple Leafs is Craig Berube, the former head coach of the St. Louis Blues, who was relieved of his duties back in December. Berube has patiently been waiting and weighing his options. He has received plenty of interest over the last 5 months, but has yet to commit, which could indicate that he's waiting for the right opportunity.

Is Berube potentially waiting to see what happens in Toronto before making a decision? Maybe, maybe not - but either way, Friedman believes that the Leafs would be interested in him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
When there's smoke with Leafs stuff, there's usually a forest fire. Tre's name was dropped a bunch then a couple weeks later he's GM.

Berube likely the next coach by end of the week

Berube has more playoff wins than Gallant in the same amount of playoff seasons.

Past records for coaches is definitely not the best barometer of future success. Just look at Paul Maurice, Peter Laviolette, Bruce Cassidy, Rick Tochet, Jim Montgomery, etc.

Gallant has a fairly proven short shelf life. He always seems to lose the room sooner than later.

I think there's other strong candidates out there, including hard/tough guys without having to go with him

Reactions: SprDaVE

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
When there's smoke with Leafs stuff, there's usually a forest fire. Tre's name was dropped a bunch then a couple weeks later he's GM.

Berube likely the next coach by end of the week

Gallant has a fairly proven short shelf life. He always seems to lose the room sooner than later.

I think there's other strong candidates out there, including hard/tough guys without having to go with him
To be accurate it’s not really a forest fire more like a tire fire

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Under contract.

Complacent doesn't mean what you think it means.

He didn't allow it.

He found out about it and told the players to worry about playing hockey instead. Let him continue doing his job.

Sorry, I meant complicit, not complacent, my phone autocorrected it.

Why do you think Bettman forced him to resign? Chevy was the AGM and also knew about it but assumed something was being done which is why he wasn’t forced to resign.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I predict that Leafs will announce the hiring of Craig Berube, the former head coach of the St. Louis Blues and past Cup winner as their new head coach on Friday.

Sheldon Keefe will not out of work long thereafter joining his BFF Dubas in Pittsburgh as an assistant coach for next season.

Remember you heard it here first., :wg:

If your a fan of rock-um sock-um hockey like we saw in this years playoffs then Berube is the obvious choice, :fight::hit:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Friedman confirms Leafs' interest in Stanley Cup winning coach​

One of the most recently mentioned names in connection with the Maple Leafs is Craig Berube, the former head coach of the St. Louis Blues, who was relieved of his duties back in December. Berube has patiently been waiting and weighing his options. He has received plenty of interest over the last 5 months, but has yet to commit, which could indicate that he's waiting for the right opportunity.

Is Berube potentially waiting to see what happens in Toronto before making a decision? Maybe, maybe not - but either way, Friedman believes that the Leafs would be interested in him.

I would think so. There were Berube to Ottawa rumours but they seem to be going ahead with Travis Green. Little brother franchise isn't going to the pick of the litter.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I read somewhere Berube only got past the first round one time. Is that true?

Yes if you only count his full seasons. He won the Cup the year he was hired during the season but I don't think you can judge a coach on his replacement season because he didn't have much time to 'implement his system' or even bring in his coaches. He basically called up a goalie from the minors (Binnington) who got hot and won the Cup.

Since then, he got out of the first round once. He never got out of the second round. He's had as much success as Keefe in the last 5 seasons.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I would bring in Tortorella. Let these guys earn their money the hard way. His quotes would be worth the price of admission alone.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I would bring in Tortorella. Let these guys earn their money the hard way. His quotes would be worth the price of admission alone.

1.) He's not available
2.) He hates Canada. He refused to live in Canada even when he was Vancouver's coach - which is why it went horrible in Vancouver

He lived full-time in Point Roberts, Washington instead of in Vancouver. Tortorella was criticized by his players for the inadequate amount of practice days, of which he would drive in for a brief appearance, then leave his assistants to handle everything else before returning home. This arrangement frustrated general manager Mike Gillis who had a bed built into Tortorella's office so he could take naps there instead of driving home.[18]

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Don’t watch Blues hockey. What type of coach are we getting in Berube. I remember the player. Players coach? Heavy handed. Offensive? Boring trap? Tries to win games 2-1 like our buddy Sheldon in playoffs? Entertaining? I assume he likes a gritty team.
Any info would be appreciated.

Just a matter of time. Vigneault would be great.

Last edited:

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Do you guys think Quenneville will ever get a job in the NHL or is he finished? He says he wants to coach again. He certainly isn't young anymore and all the baggage thats with him.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Claude Julien is perfect for the leafs. He imposes discipline, demands physical play, teaches fundamentals, holds his stars responsible, can do more with less with his defensive structure, and best of all HE WON A CUP (13 years ago)

Believe me, I'm not being serious. I'm mostly just poking fun at the criteria you guys use.
He is also interested in the Ottawa job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad