Speculation: Potential destinations for Grubauer?

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by Hammettf2b, Jun 13, 2018.

1. StephenPeat

StephenPeat Registered User

Maybe YOU don’t but NHL GMs? Vancouver absolutely did with Schneider and LA most likely did with Jones as well. What you don’t do is trade a valued commodity to a Division rival for a POOR RETURN under ANY circumstances.

2. Larkin1578

Larkin1578 Registered User

I would love for the Wings to trade for him and try to trade Howard at the deadline.

3. Hivemind

Hivemind We're Touched

None of those guys move the needle for me, at all. Especially not when compared to getting a mid-1st from other suitors. And I say this as someone who has followed Zykov closely because I own him on my dynasty team.

4. Skrudland2Lomakin

Skrudland2Lomakin Registered User

A year ago you were arguing until you were blue in the face that Greiss was a better goalie than Grubauer, so I caution anyone taking your goalie analysis serious.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/nyi-calgary-washington.2356159/page-3

I can't wait for your first round pick.

[​IMG]

Koized likes this.
  5. Hivemind

Hivemind We're Touched

The Capitals made a roster trade with a division rival in July 2017.

cleaver likes this.
  6. Leviathan

Leviathan Registered User

1. Islanders
    2. Hurricanes
    3. Red Wings

other maybes/longshots - Avalanche, Canucks, Sabres, Senators, Blues

7. StephenPeat

Give or take 30 but hey when your an Isles fan why count wins, God knows I wouldn’t. Oh yeah he’s on Schneider’s level because all his stats say he’s in that tier, that’s why.

Koized likes this.
  8. SvechniCanesCup2019

SvechniCanesCup2019 Registered User

If I was Washington and I could get a mid 1st for one year of Grubauer then I would jump on that. Maybe Lou will be desperate enough. In my view the Canes aren’t desperate enough to pay that kind of value for the next “best backup”. They have been burned by that too many times recently.

sheriff bart likes this.
  9. StephenPeat

Slight difference. Talbot was a pending-UFA. If the Rangers didn’t trade him they would have lost him for nothing. Grubauer is an RFA and the Capitals still have quite a bit of say in where he plays.

10. Hivemind

Hivemind We're Touched

Martin Jones, Cory Schneider, Semyon Varlamov, and Frederik Andersen setting the ballpark in the range of a mid-1st. If the Islanders aren't willing to pay the 12th, the Capitals can easily turn to the Flyers, Senators, Blues, or Red Wings, or Sabres to outbid pick #41.

As for your next post, Grubauer had 15 wins this year alone (not in his career). He has 43 on his career, but wins are a pretty garbage stat to evaluate a goalie with anyway. He was absolutely phenomenal for the Capitals down the stretch in the regular season, with a ludicrous .937sv% and 1.93GAA from December onwards. That's on top of very good career numbers (.920 or higher sv% in three of four seasons, with the low bar being .918). He also had a very impressive .679 quality start%, 3rd among all goalies with 30+GP (Pekka Rinne was at .678) and has a .620 QS% on his career.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    AlexBrovechkin8 and Koized like this.
  11. CodeE

CodeE Registered User

Yeah, a year ago. You got me, Thomas Greiss was a better goalie last year than he was this year!

I also said, "oh well, we'd trade a 3rd for that year's Darling". Scott Darling, the former Chicago Blackhawks backup who was the belle of the ball last offseason for all teams needing goalies. None of whom were the Islanders who - tragically enough - had the faith in the 2016-17 season of Thomas Greiss that I did. Darling's trade value now? Not so good.

I hope Lou is smart enough to not overpay for a "good stats" backup, but it seems the hockey community has designated Grabauer the best goalie option this offseason, so maybe you will just get a 1st from the hype.

12. Skrudland2Lomakin

Skrudland2Lomakin Registered User

It's cute you're clinging to the "good stats" back up narrative even though he was the SC Champion's #1 for the last part of the season and performed so well they played him as the hot hand for the first two games. And before you toss off the "well he lost both those games"... both of those games went to OT.

Again, its real cute.

13. CodeE

CodeE Registered User

If Rangers didn't trade Talbot at the draft, they could have kept him during the season and either waited for a team to panic or moved him at the deadline.

As a RFA, Grabauer is free to sign an offer sheet with a team who'll give him $$$ and a starting job. Read OP's tweet again:

The option of "nobody is giving us a 1st round pick! You'll backup Holtby until we get offered one and don't you dare dream of signing an offer sheet bud!" simply isn't on the table. You'll get the best offer another team is willing to give you, but if you're willing to take a worse return for that "quite a bit of say where he plays", go ahead.

14. Hivemind

Hivemind We're Touched

There hasn't been a signed offer sheet since 2013...

15. CodeE

CodeE Registered User

GMs are smart enough to address the issue before the signing of an offer sheet becomes necessary. Washington doesn't want him to sign an offer sheet for a 2019 2nd, so get better value for him before then.

Just some Capital fans have this "all of you come back to us when you're ready to overpay for Grabauer" attitude which is just a fantasy considering the circumstances. Again, you'll get the best offer another team is willing to give you.

16. Big Daddy Cane

Big Daddy Cane Registered User

:blues
    Grubauer

:caps
    28OA (WPG's 1st)

:blues
    Greiss

:isles
    Allen

Washington gets their 1st and sends Grubauer out of the division. St. Louis gets a new look in net and shaves 1 year and ~$1 mil per from their cap. The Islanders buy low on Allen at no acquisition cost and shed Greiss’ contract.

?

17. Hivemind

Hivemind We're Touched

It's not overpayment. It's value pretty much in line with what similar goaltenders have received in past years (Andersen, Jones, Schneider, Varlamov, even Lehner). There are multiple teams with picks in this range looking for goaltending. If the Islanders aren't willing to give up the 12th pick, that's fine (the 12th is on the upper end of the range of what would be reasonable to pay for Grubby), but don't think that the Capitals would then be obligated to take the #41 from the Islanders. The Capitals can easily turn to Philadelphia (14, 19), Ottawa (22), St Louis (29), Detroit (30, 33, 36), and Buffalo (32) to see what they would offer.

The only "fantasy" here is that the Islanders will be able to land Grubauer for less than the #12. If the Islanders don't want to give up pick #12, they aren't likely to be the winner of the Grubauer sweepstakes. Not hard to understand.

18. GoCaps2004

GoCaps2004 Registered User

43 wins, and 1-1 in all time in playoffs, while losing his spot this year to the 2017 Vezina trophy winner, but who cares about actual numbers anyway!

19. Kevin27nyi

Kevin27nyi HoSanity

Oh my god you're so lame :eyeroll:
    That's fine, trade him to them. I don't think he's worth the 11th or 12th. Kudos to the Caps if they can corner this lack of goalie market but I'd rather shop for Howard then and wait for Sorokin.

Ruddy64 and PWJunior like this.
  20. CodeE

CodeE Registered User

Yup, that's the way it seems to goes in these Grabauer threads. The Capitals will "easily turn" to 36th overall from Detroit, because anything we add to 41st overall simply won't be enough.

12th overall, anything less than that is a complete fantasy, because that 41st overall is expired dog food compared to the filet mingnon that is the magnificent 36th overall.

Ruddy64 likes this.
  21. StreetHawk

StreetHawk Registered User

An offer sheet of almost Darling money of over $4 million is a 2019 2nd round pick. No way Caps can afford to match that. They would have to let him walk.

That's the bar that the Caps have. They have to get Carlson, then Wilson signed. They may opt to package Orpik with Grubs and end up with a 3rd round pick to free up the cap space to sign the guys that they want like Kepney.

No team holding a 1st round pick from #20 onward is in need of a goalie immediately.

Ana/SJ/Det
    Chi/Win/Min
    NYR/NYR/Tor
    Ott/Was/Cbs

Maybe Detroit in that group. But, they have Howard on the books, so they don't absolutely need to make that move.

22. Langway

Langway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kuokkanen or Foegele could be interesting along with the 42nd pick. A mid-to-late first rounder would top that but we'll see if they can get it. I expect at least something along the lines of a pick between 32-45 and a decent prospect. An issue for the in-division teams may be if a team like Dallas offers the 44th pick and a prospect like Hintz or younger roster player like Elie. If the offers are relatively close on that level then I'd figure they'd just move him out West. He'll move at the draft regardless IMO but the Caps won't be without leverage if there really are between three and five teams seriously interested.

23. SI90

SI90 Registered User

Suffering by Wang's hand
    Values don’t seem bad but I’m not high on Allen as an islanders fan.

24. StephenPeat

Again, I’m begging you to hold your breath until someone Offersheets.....well anyone this offseason.

25. StephenPeat

Im not sure StL would do #2. At this point Allen, for all his gaffes, is far better than Greiss and he’s only signed for ~$1M more and 1 Season more than Greiss.