OT: Potential Autumn Visit to QC - Advice Sought!

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
So, I have a confirmed domestic green light for a week's solo trip to La Belle Province to a) explore Montreal, b) take in some hockey in Laval and / or a Habs game watched from a good bar (not the Bell Centre, there's only so much slack in the budget) and c) spend a couple of days in Quebec City.

I would be grateful for any and all top tips! I don't need to stay in 5 star downtown luxury but would like to know what neighbourhoods to avoid when looking for either hotels or apartments.

Is public transport decent in the greater MTL area and are train links to Quebec City reasonable? Ideally I don't want to hire a car.

Of course, any options revolving around meeting up with folks for beverages would be given priority consideration :)

Thanks in advance!

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Hotel Bonaventure must be experienced the restaurant is great and the all year pool on top is incredible.

Next to the windsor train terminal and bonaventure subway station 5min walk to the Bell Center and close to the old port the other way.

Reactions: Walrus26

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Public transit in Montreal is decent, in Quebec city mediocre. Lots of good restaurants and pubs in Old port and Griffintown, you can rent bikes (Bixi) to go everywhere, and lots of nice sites to visit. Vibrant public squares, museums, street art, public rinks for skating in the winter, the heart and soul of Montreal along the orange / green metro lines.

People keep shitting on the city but personnaly I like it it's just very expensive to buy or rent housing or apartment and the construction work everywhere is non-stop, I figured I had to adapt, I was getting mad at parking fees and long traffic jams that so I had to not use y car to work downtown (close to Bell center), and it's very possible to live without owning a car in Montreal (still own one though but it's mostly a cab for my kids activities).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Looks to me that this thread got lost in the shuffle of the busiest time of year on this forum.

Here’s a well-deserved bump and hoping our local forum good guys and gals can chime in and help make your experience more enjoyable.

You might like some of the suggestions here, in case you haven’t seen it: The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 5.0

Would help us to help you if you provided more detail about what you like to do, if you’re travelling with kids, how much time you’re planning to spend in Montreal vs. Quebec City, if you’ve been in QC before.

Last edited:

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Having passed through la belle province recently and spent a wee bit of time in centreville,can suggest that you have pocket full of loose change as you will surely encounter numerous panhandlers along the footpaths and if driving,that windscreen will get a workout via the squeegee brigade.If renting an auto,get a hearse as the state of the roads and the way they drive,you'll probably need it.good luck.lol.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Honestly, Old Port is a tourist trap imo. Go see it, maybe sleep there even though $$$ because the hotels are nice, but imo it's not the best Montreal has to offer. Go see the Mont-Royal (the mountain in the middle), the Plateau, Petite-Italie, Marché Jean-Talon, the parks like Jarry, Laurier, Lafontaine. The neighborhoods around Université de Montréal and McGill along with the campuses are beautiful too. Walk on a random street and try a nice little restaurant. Downtown is fun but not the whole experience. Little local low-key spots is where Montréal shines. Canada's best restaurant this year is Vin Mon Lapin and it's on a cute street, St-Zotique, far away from the jet-set bars and restaurants of the Port.

I can't help you for Québec (city) though. I think I've been there like 5 times.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I'm originally from Kent - drop us a message when you're in town or when you're days from flying over and I'll help you as best I can.

• Love

Walrus26

May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Thanks a lot everyone.

I've taken the advice of @Team_Spirit and will be spending my post-flight night at the Bonaventure before hauling over to Quebec City for a couple. I'm back in MTL for 5 nights Fri-Tues around the first hockey weekend, with a (forlorn?) hope of getting a ticket for the Minny game on the Tuesday. I will also be checking the Laval schedule to see if I can squeeze a Rocket game in.

I will most certainly be exploring from my base of operations, the Le Square Phillips Suites and thanks for the tips :)

Loose change noted - sounds little different to central London in that respect!

@Habs13 - I will definitely be in touch! I'm originally from SE London (Greenwich / Blackheath) so your manor is just down the metaphorical road....were you a Kentish Man or a Man Of Kent? (Even in Kent there is river-based tribalism, just like London)

Reactions: Team_Spirit

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
@Runner77 had the right idea by asking you @Walrus26 what are your interests, passions besides hockey. Are you into music, sports, art, a foodie, etc. Let us know so we can better direct you to certain spots or events when the time comes.

As for grabbing a beer or going to see a Laval hockey game, I am down. I'd even suggest a few of us HFHabs posters join up and go watch a Laval game together. Maybe some, if not most of us would be a tad bit out of our comfort zones, but what's the worst that could happen? Not much, I'd like to believe we're all good, kind and respectful lads and gals.

Keep us posted @Walrus26

Last edited:

Walrus26

May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
@Runner77 had the right idea by asking you @Walrus26 what are your interests, passions besides hockey. Are you into music, sports, art, a foodie, etc. Let us know so we can better direct you to certain spots or events when the time comes.

As for grabbing a beer or going to see a Laval hockey game, I am down. I'd even suggest a few of us HFHabs posters join up and go watch a Laval game together. Maybe some, if not most of us would be a tad bit out of our comfort zones, but what's the worst that could happen? Not much, I'd like to believe we're all good, kind and respectful lads and gals.

Keep us posted @Walrus26

Well, I'm definitely a foodie who places quality over quantity (most of the time). I'm not really an arts buff and much prefer a walk in parkland / along waterways / in the countryside to a walk around a museum. I'm a history buff though, so historic sites are also places I'd love to see.

My biggest love aside from hockey is music and dancing to that music, but my tastes are fairly "niche" I guess these days. Still, a decent club house (not too cheesy) night and a couple of pints will see me lose the music snobbery and show kids what dance music dancing is really all about ;-)

Speaking of pints, researching local craft beers and avoiding mass-market stuff will be a high priority too.

I don't bite and you'll find that as a former teacher I'm totally at ease in new social situations. I might be quite vocal, in stereotypical English football fan style, at the hockey though....whether that's live or in a bar! Putting some faces to forum names would be great.

Reactions: PhysicX

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL

Well, I'm definitely a foodie who places quality over quantity (most of the time). I'm not really an arts buff and much prefer a walk in parkland / along waterways / in the countryside to a walk around a museum. I'm a history buff though, so historic sites are also places I'd love to see.

My biggest love aside from hockey is music and dancing to that music, but my tastes are fairly "niche" I guess these days. Still, a decent club house (not too cheesy) night and a couple of pints will see me lose the music snobbery and show kids what dance music dancing is really all about ;-)

Speaking of pints, researching local craft beers and avoiding mass-market stuff will be a high priority too.

I don't bite and you'll find that as a former teacher I'm totally at ease in new social situations. I might be quite vocal, in stereotypical English football fan style, at the hockey though....whether that's live or in a bar! Putting some faces to forum names would be great.
1. In terms of music, please specify what genre of music you are into. I'm sure this forum will be able to recommend you some joints pertaining to your musical tastes. Currently, I'm listening to Billy Joel at work (coworker actually in control of the music) and I'm enjoying it. However, my background is in classical music (played violin and sang in choirs), which then, with the help of external influences, grew into my passion for electronic music (mainly trance, melodic/tech-house or techno). So, for electronic music, I could be of help :)

2. Lots and lots of Quebec craft beers to choose from. You'll only have time to dip your feet into the local craft beer scene.

3. Do you follow any Premier League club, just curious here. I'm a Mancunian at heart (Red Devils for life).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Lafontaine park, Mont-Royal street, Duluth street, probably > Downtown in 2023.

Not 100% sure though. I don't go downtown enough anymore.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Lafontaine park, Mont-Royal street, Duluth street, probably > Downtown in 2023.

Not 100% sure though. I don't go downtown enough anymore.
I mean, you can find cool stuff pretty much everywhere. St-Henri is booming right now and it's close to downtown. Some of the bests restaurants and bars are in St-Henri neighborhood.

Even in Lachine, an awful place imo, you can take walk or bike next to the Canal and it's very nice.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I mean, you can find cool stuff pretty much everywhere. St-Henri is booming right now and it's close to downtown. Some of the bests restaurants and bars are in St-Henri neighborhood.

Even in Lachine, an awful place imo, you can take walk or bike next to the Canal and it's very nice.

I'm an East-end guy, I generally only went to St-Henri, Verdun, Lachine, Pointes-Saint-Charles etc when I had a woman to go see there. And I've been in a relationship for a while, so I rarely go nowadays.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I'm an East-end guy, I generally only went to St-Henri, Verdun, Lachine, Pointes-Saint-Charles etc when I had a woman to go see there. And I've been in a relationship for a while, so I rarely go nowadays.
Dude je viens de la Rive-Sud, j'ai habité 7 ans sur le Plateau et ça va être ma troisième année dans le Mile-Ex. Tout ce qui est à l'Ouest m'est étranger.

Mais j'connais du monde dans St-Henri et Verdun et ç'a l'air que c'est très intéressant depuis plusieurs années.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Dude je viens de la Rive-Sud, j'ai habité 7 ans sur le Plateau et ça va être ma troisième année dans le Mile-Ex. Tout ce qui est à l'Ouest m'est étranger.

When I say East-End, I don't mean Plateau, I mean real East-end.

Plateau for me is out west.

Another great place booming if you want to chase ladies is Joliette (the city).

Joliette is underrated. Strange mix of artistic vibe + rednecks, with none of the pretentiousness you find in Montreal. Joliette feels like Montreal in 1999.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
When I say East-End, I don't mean Plateau, I mean real East-end.

Plateau for me is out west.

Another great place booming if you want to chase ladies is Joliette.

Joliette is underrated. Strange combo of red necks and real artists, with none of the pretentiousness you find in Montreal. Joliette feels like a neighbor from Montreal in 1999.
Zéro hate contre HoMa. Hochelaga est le dernier véritable bastion francophone de Montréal. La promenade Ontario est cent fois mieux qu'il y a 10 ans, ça s'est développé. Pis la Pataterie.... Hmmmmmmmm :poutine:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
So, I have a confirmed domestic green light for a week's solo trip to La Belle Province to a) explore Montreal, b) take in some hockey in Laval and / or a Habs game watched from a good bar (not the Bell Centre, there's only so much slack in the budget) and c) spend a couple of days in Quebec City.

I would be grateful for any and all top tips! I don't need to stay in 5 star downtown luxury but would like to know what neighbourhoods to avoid when looking for either hotels or apartments.

Is public transport decent in the greater MTL area and are train links to Quebec City reasonable? Ideally I don't want to hire a car.

Of course, any options revolving around meeting up with folks for beverages would be given priority consideration :)

Thanks in advance!
Eat your way through it! Fantastic food from a number of cultures! Pizza is suspect! Lol Visit the “food” thread and ask. Fantastic posters there!

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Eat your way through it! Fantastic food from a number of cultures! Pizza is suspect! Lol Visit the “food” thread and ask. Fantastic posters there!
If you want good pizza, Pizza Bouquet on Beaubien is where it's at. Pizza Toni is amazing too, New-York style.

Reactions: Walrus26 and cphabs

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
If you want good pizza, Pizza Bouquet on Beaubien is where it's at. Pizza Toni is amazing too, New-York style.
A large slice from an 18 inch cheese pizza? Possibly a little red pepper flake as well! Fantastic

• Love
Reactions: Toene

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

Thanks in advance!

I'm jealous man, enjoy!

I've been putting off a trip to Montreal for a few years now until the habs are a better on ice product, as my trip will be mainly focused around our team. (and food)

Not sure how much longer I can hold out. Your post isn't helping. ;)

The fact you're getting to do it solo has me doubly envious. As much as I love my wife, she's just not into hockey. But her coming is the only way I'm getting her to allow me to open the purse strings. (She's never been to a live NHL game)

It won't be cheap.

Last edited:

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City

Thanks in advance!
I'm from QC and lived in MTL for my studies, and yes, I'd say the public transit links between the two are reasonable. I personally always took a bus, they leave from near Berri-UQAM and take you to Gare du Palais in Quebec City.

As stated before, public transit here isn't what it is in Montreal. If you're staying around the downtown area mostly, there are some buses and the whole place is quite "walkable". There's a bus that takes you directly from downtown to Chutes Montmorency if that's a place you want to visit.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
If you are staying downtown and you are a foodie... plan to eat in other parts of town.

Montreal is a great place to be a foodie. There are plenty of great restaurants for all kinds of budgets. But downtown generally sucks. St Henri is very close and has a bunch of good options. Planning your trip around exploring the areas near good restaurants will help. Pretty much great food in all parts of town if you hit the right spots.

Other things to check out:

Atwater Market
Tam tams on mount royal
The "mountain"
st viateur bagels / Mile End
Lafountain park
all the little neighbourhoods

Have fun!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad