Post work out issues

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So... I started playing hockey again back in January and recently (last 2 months or so) became dedicated to going to the gym again.

The last three weeks or so, no matter what I do, I am no longer sore after working out. Some people have told me it is normal. Some people have told me that it means I need to change my routine. However, even after changing my routine completely, I just wake up the next morning with no soreness whatsoever.

It isn't just working out. My hockey game on Monday, we were short handed to the point where I played almost 35 minutes as a forward. I woke up the next morning feeling fine.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Is it really normal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
My soreness subsided about a week or so after I was going to the gym 4-6x a week earlier in the year and continue to do so. Same thing when I change my routine, do hour long cardio sessions, etc.

marinoni1983

Feb 8, 2017
So... I started playing hockey again back in January and recently (last 2 months or so) became dedicated to going to the gym again.

The last three weeks or so, no matter what I do, I am no longer sore after working out. Some people have told me it is normal. Some people have told me that it means I need to change my routine. However, even after changing my routine completely, I just wake up the next morning with no soreness whatsoever.

It isn't just working out. My hockey game on Monday, we were short handed to the point where I played almost 35 minutes as a forward. I woke up the next morning feeling fine.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Is it really normal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your either really really fit, or not pushing yourself hard enough, one of the two...pretty simple. Or doing the same routine over and over...

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Your either really really fit, or not pushing yourself hard enough, one of the two...pretty simple. Or doing the same routine over and over...

I don't think I am that fit. :laugh:

Last few work outs I have literally been doing exercises with free weights to the point of failure and there is almost no soreness.

I guess I will try changing up my routine again.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Drop the weight a bit and focus on your contractions. Squeeze the hell out of your muscle on each rep. You'll be sore after.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Last few work outs I have literally been doing exercises with free weights to the point of failure and there is almost no soreness.

No need. Soreness is not a good way of measuring the effect of exercising.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

As long as you're putting in the work to failure and pushing your muscles, you're fine. Nothing to worry about.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
As long as you're putting in the work to failure and pushing your muscles, you're fine. Nothing to worry about.

Probably no need to do that either. But that is a bigger question and it depends on quite a few factors.

Based on my personal observations (hardly scientific) inexperienced lifters tend to push themselves too little. For those who are more experienced (assuming no PEDs of course) there is more and more research suggesting you are better off with a higher volume, but without going to failure.

Doesn´t sound like you are there yet. So my advise is to push yourself, but no need to be too focused on failure. Especially if you aren´t 100% certain that you can perform lifts technically correct when getting tired.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Mind to Muscle connection. Go lighter on the weights, up the volume, do complete reps & partial reps to target certain areas.

Incorporate Cable & Machine use as well as free weights

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
No need. Soreness is not a good way of measuring the effect of exercising.

I agree with this completely.

There's an experienced, popular YouTube fitness guru that has a popular video series addressing different muscle groups called 'Sore in Six Minutes.' Search some of those and see what you think.

If you are looking for soreness, I'm guessing your goal is hypertrophy? I've tweaked common exercises and achieved a good deal of soreness. (Whether that's led to actual muscle growth is another discussion. ;) )

One thing that has worked for me is controlling/slowing the negative. I've been doing incline preacher curls and doing about one second going up, three seconds (or more) going down. I also supinate at the top for even more burn. With moderate weight, by the last reps of ten my biceps are on fire.

I've also been doing an EZ Bar skull crusher but not bringing my arms to 90 degrees at the top, where they can sneak in a breather. I keep them at probably 70 degrees or a little less to the floor. At first I had to reduce the weight significantly, but the burn was tremendous.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
A lack of soreness is typically a positive.

If you're chasing soreness (which is admittedly, fun at times) hiit workouts are typically the best way to go, especially if you mainly target one muscle group.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
A lack of soreness is typically a positive.

If you're chasing soreness (which is admittedly, fun at times) hiit workouts are typically the best way to go, especially if you mainly target one muscle group.

Yup. I totally agree with this post. Soreness should not equate to progress; it is just a intermittent by-product of growth.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I'm so ****ing happy when I go to the gym and 'm not sore the next day. It allows me to actually have a good non-lifting workout instead of being in pain the whole time.

You're lucky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad