Post Trade Deadline Outlook

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I don't follow the OHL regular season much but love playoff junior hockey. What teams really loaded up this season?

I know London is always a threat but who else is a serious contender? I can look at the standings but who improved the most at the deadline? What team unloaded the most?

If anyone can shed some light or link me to articles that can it would be greatly appreciated.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Trades: http://ontariohockeyleague.com/media-notes/

London and Erie made huge splashes at the trade deadline. Windsor has added a bunch of solid guys to their lineup over the past several months and they got Bracco for cheap at the deadline. SSM has been one of the hottest teams in the league over the last couple of months, but they didn't add very much - but they are getting Blake Speers back from injury, which is essentially a free star player. OS has been dominating of late, but they also chose to more or else stand pat.

Any one of those 5 teams come out of the West, and I won't be surprised. Having not seen any of the teams play yet post trade-deadline, I would have them ranked something like:

London/Erie
Windsor/SSM
Owen Sound

But I don't think the gaps between any of these teams are large.

In the East, the conference on the whole looks quite a bit weaker. Oshawa, who lead the East, chose to sell Cirelli and Vande Sompel, so they probably are out of contention. Mississauga had one of the best teams on paper heading into the season, and they have finally been playing like it lately. Peterborough has also been playing good hockey, and they added some very good players to their lineup, like Paquette.

I think the East is between Mississauga and Peterborough, but on the whole it's pretty wide open.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Trades: http://ontariohockeyleague.com/media-notes/

London and Erie made huge splashes at the trade deadline. Windsor has added a bunch of solid guys to their lineup over the past several months and they got Bracco for cheap at the deadline. SSM has been one of the hottest teams in the league over the last couple of months, but they didn't add very much - but they are getting Blake Speers back from injury, which is essentially a free star player. OS has been dominating of late, but they also chose to more or else stand pat.

Any one of those 5 teams come out of the West, and I won't be surprised. Having not seen any of the teams play yet post trade-deadline, I would have them ranked something like:

London/Erie
Windsor/SSM
Owen Sound

But I don't think the gaps between any of these teams are large.

In the East, the conference on the whole looks quite a bit weaker. Oshawa, who lead the East, chose to sell Cirelli and Vande Sompel, so they probably are out of contention. Mississauga had one of the best teams on paper heading into the season, and they have finally been playing like it lately. Peterborough has also been playing good hockey, and they added some very good players to their lineup, like Paquette.

I think the East is between Mississauga and Peterborough, but on the whole it's pretty wide open.

Great answer. Thanks!

Anyone else?

Who are the worst teams? From an outsider, Guelph seems to be really struggling. Failing to even cover a 2.5 goal spread in their last 5 games. Did they sell off and get younger or just overall bad team all year?

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
The teams that pulled the trigger the most for a run - not in any particular order-

Peterborough
London
Erie
Windsor

Sault Ste Marie, Owen Sound, Mississauga are next in line. They made minor tweaks or added depth pieces but nothing significant

As it stands now, 1 of those 7 teams will win. Nobody else has a shot to win 4 series.

Windsor, London, Erie in the driver seat to take the league. All 3 were considered favorites along with SSM before the deadline. But Erie, Windsor, London added way more to their team for a run.

London made their defense very deep, offensive and with plenty of quickness. They also improved their depth. As it stands now they have the best depth in terms of 1-12 of the forward group.

Windsor added Bracco which was huge. They needed the guy who could carry the offense on certain nights. He immediately becomes their best forward, probably best player. They in my opinion have the best defense. London very skilled and offensive but Windsor more physical guys.

Erie added grit to their lineup and more speed. They in my opinion have the best top 6 because of their high end talent of Strome, Raddysh, Debrincat - the 3 of them rank 1,2,3 in the league for points per game. But London, SSM, Windsor aren't that far behind

Those 3 should be the favorites if you had money to bet and all are in the West. SSM or OS can play spoiler for sure and are probably the 4th in 5th best teams in the league.. also in the West.
But I find it hard to believe at this moment that they'll win rounds against likely 2 of those top 3 in SSM's case and for Owen Sound they would likely have to get past 3 of Erie/London/SSM/Windsor-- would be tough to do.

As far as the front runner... too soon to tell. Will take a month or so for new guys to gel and for more games to be played. And the top 3 all have the talent to make a run to the finals

Bottom teams include Niagara, Barrie, Guelph, Saginaw.
Those teams are all young and got even younger through trades. They are each in the midst of a rebuild. I don't think either of those 4 teams are terrible like we have seen in the past - Guelph last year, Erie in 2012, Barrie in 2010 for example-- but they are all young and that's part of the rebuild process when you have many young players who are not experienced and smaller/weaker in terms of size. They might win one night and lose 7-1 the next. It's all part of it for them. But personally don't see either of the 4 bottom teams as complete wastes like we have seen in previous years.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Perhaps not as big of a scale as moves made by Erie and London, I believe the Flint Firebirds enhanced their playoff chances with the additions of :

LW Maurizo Colella from North Bay and
RW C.J. Clarke from Peterborough

These moves by Flint G.M. George Burnett were under the wire moves, but increase the depth of our lines as we battle Sarnia, Saginaw, and Guelph for the last couple of playoff spots in the very competitive Western Division.

http://flintfirebirds.com/article/colella010617
http://flintfirebirds.com/article/clarke010916

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad