Injury Report: Post-Playoffs Injury Reports (Backstrom, Rupp)

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Backstrom missed series with sports hernia and will need surgery, per Russo.

Billy Mays Here*

He'll be back. You don't go into the season with a rookie goalie and a career backup who has MS. He's not great, but he's still better than any other UFA goalie on the market (unless Luongo gets bought out :naughty:).

J22*

I'm expecting he's going to be a backup on some team other than the Wild next season.

I dont see any chance that the Wild let him get away if he's willing to sign for backup money.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He'll be back. You don't go into the season with a rookie goalie and a career backup who has MS. He's not great, but he's still better than any other UFA goalie on the market (unless Luongo gets bought out :naughty:).

Even if Backs isn't back, I'm not expecting a rookie to be playing backup. I'd expect a vet is brought in and the team goes 1a/b type rotation.

Also... Mike Smith is becoming a UFA... I'd jump at him in a second over Backs!

J22*

Even if Backs isn't back, I'm not expecting a rookie to be playing backup. I'd expect a vet is brought in and the team goes 1a/b type rotation.

Smith is a Dave Tippett special (see Ilya Bryzgalov) and wont be worth the money he gets. It would do wonders though to have a goalie that can handle the puck on dump ins.

Billy Mays Here*

**** Mike Smith. Can't stand that diving piece of **** media primadona.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Smith's gonna get paid big time and we can't afford that kind of a contract at this point. Not to mention that he's really not that great of a goalie to start with.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Kuemper is only 1 year younger than Raanta, and has actually played in the NHL. Why would Raanta be in the NHL for the Wild over Kuemper?

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale

That is crazy talk. Mike smith is a career backup goalie. He did good last year and that is all. Talk about risky, he really isn't very good.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I wouldn't be surprised if Backs heads back to Finland. His team HIFK has signed Antti Raanta who propably heads to NA / Russia. They'll need a starter.

On the other hand, if he still has a spark and he's okay to go, he's just that kind of guy who could accept less money to play with Wild. Backs has already played his career contract through, no financial problems what so ever for sure.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Backstrom has Minnesota over a barrel. Good job Fletch!

Not even close. He did before the playoffs because he was being ridden so hard by Yeo (yet another reason I fault him as a coach completely)....which was the same thing that happened when Riser waited so long and we had to fork out the $6M to keep him. If he signs for $4M, I'd be more than happy to see him in a jersey next season. Too many injuries occur to him at the worst times imaginable it seems like. Same with Harding. Both have always been plagued with hip/groin injuries it seems. May be time to bring someone else in and give it a shot.

Kaptain

WarBortles
Feb 7, 2013
Florida

You'd be silly to jump at Smith over Backstrom.
I like Theodore, but he was pretty horrible last season, far worse than Backstrom, and has a more serious injury.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Mike Smith?

Jack-Nicholson-Insane.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad