Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 37 60.7%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • DL

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Hmmm...anyone with more knowledge of defensive systems want to chime in on what philosophies may being changing?
Bowles plays a mentally complex system designed to make quarterbacks take a bit longer in the post snap reads. Early down lighter front sevens designed to take away the pass on early downs. Players are in positions to confuse the QB as opposed to show the QB what's coming.

Bowles had a 3-4 with Tampa but basically played 2-4 most of the time. Not much of a difference from a formation stand point. But he did his edges dropping and the nickel and safeties blitzing.... but mostly still just rushing 4. He used to blitz around 35% of the time but has since went to more 4 man rushes with a LB/DB blitzer and a edge dropping, so it's not really a blitz in a classic way.

Bowles also used 3 safeties instead of a classic nickel. Winfield was his nickel. He moved Winfield from a single high cover 1 FS to nickel.

As far as safeties go, Bowles likes to show 2 high safeties but ran cover 1 or cover 3 about 2/3 of the time. His safeties have to be able to play cover 2, cover 1 as the single high, or down in one of the middle / flat zones.

So, basically a lot of pre-snap false reads which end up mostly with a single high safety, and cover 2 about a third of the time. But he evolves so we'll see.

Last edited:

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Health and the number one seed.

It's one less game that needs to be played. It's one additional bye week to rest up. It's the lesser opponent after wild-card weekend.

If I weren't at work, I'd do the math, but you have to see at least a 100% improvement in win percentage with that number one seed.
I think we're far more likely to miss the playoffs than get the #1 seed. I don't think we're in play for it whatsoever and I'm generally a very positive fan.

I do think people are underrating the losses of Morse, Diggs, Gabe, Hyde, Poyer, etc even if most were losing a step. There's a chance that others seamlessly step into those roles and the dominance continues. But a lot of people hoping for that are the same ones who dump on McD for overemphasis on culture, his schemes, etc. Can't have it both ways.

If we win the division again this year, McD should win coach of the year and Josh should be in pole position for MVP.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
I think we're far more likely to miss the playoffs than get the #1 seed. I don't think we're in play for it whatsoever and I'm generally a very positive fan.

I do think people are underrating the losses of Morse, Diggs, Gabe, Hyde, Poyer, etc even if most were losing a step. There's a chance that others seamlessly step into those roles and the dominance continues. But a lot of people hoping for that are the same ones who dump on McD for overemphasis on culture, his schemes, etc. Can't have it both ways.

If we win the division again this year, McD should win coach of the year and Josh should be in pole position for MVP.

I didn't say I expect the team to win it. Just that the number one seed plays a significant part in how far teams go in the post-season. If we win the division, but end up playing another wild-card game... playing in the AFC Championship would be a win.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
STEVE made me chuckle.

Going to try to go to the KC game with my Chiefs fan friend. I haven't been to a game in Buffalo since forever though. Last one I remember is vs the niners in 2008?
Night games are a mess. Be prepared.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Schedule is good , most tough games at home. @Miami week 2 at night , Pat's twice at the end of the season to seal the Div.
Hopefully we can keep rocking out at home - one of the broadcasts said last year we had the best home record in the NFL over the last 4 years.

Looking it up - we're 27-7 (27-6 minus the JAX game in London) while KC is 25-9...not sure who else has been consistent enough over that span to be close.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
People are really blowing this MVS story up. Guy has had some great catches in crucial moments and has some drops in crucial moments. Sounds like a WR that is suited for WR 3 duty, which may be what he gets here. If we really wanted a positive lens, the Chiefs gifted us him and we didn't even have to give up a third :sarcasm:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Annnnnnnnnd we're done discussing that Chiefs kicker thing.
Aw man, it was just getting fun! :p

Back on topic, anyone else concerned about Bass? Kickers can be the difference between an extra win or two at season's end, and the reason you advance in the playoffs. He was ass to end the year. Not sure what happened, but it's an area Im concerned about.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Back on topic, anyone else concerned about Bass? Kickers can be the difference between an extra win or two at season's end, and the reason you advance in the playoffs. He was ass to end the year. Not sure what happened, but it's an area Im concerned about.

Given that we brought Haack in as competition, I wonder if there's something going on as far as holding goes.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Given that we brought Haack in as competition, I wonder if there's something going on as far as holding goes.
That'd be strange since Martin's been the holder the past two years, right? And Bass's decline started about 2/3 of the way through last season.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Haack is an elite holder, and we rarely punt - to the point the punter's holding skill is as if not more important than their punting skill.
Plus they could probably get a 6th/7th or maybe a player they have an eye on in a pre-season trade as teams are always looking for reliable punting.

Annnnnnnnnd we're done discussing that Chiefs kicker thing.
Back to Ray Rice... Sorry Rashee Rice

• Haha
Reactions: Dubi Doo

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Haack is an elite holder, and we rarely punt - to the point the punter's holding skill is as if not more important than their punting skill.
Is "we rarely punt" still going to true this season? The receiving corps is in flux, so I'm not sure how much I trust the offense to be firing on all cylinders, at least to start the season. I think we need someone who can do both.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad